Widgets Magazine
Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Ebola virus

Default Re: Ebola virus

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkasa View Post
    No health care workers have died of Ebola in America.
    Your point? No health care worker treating an aids patient has been infected as a result (perhaps a needle prick?) anywhere. Doesn't happen because the transmission is completely different.

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    "an AIDS person" - Can you be any more ignorant or insensitive?

FYI -- AIDS is not the disease, its a diagnosis/condition/effect of HIV. A person by no means has to be diagnosed with AIDS to be infectious to others. As a matter of fact, most transmissions happen long before a person with HIV is diagnosed with AIDS. Additionally, a person may live their entire life infected with HIV but never be diagnosed with AIDS.

Are you actually claiming that coming into direct contact with a person's blood, sweat, vomit, diarrhea etc. is not 'intimate contact'?

We know how Ebola is transmitted so, yes, it is absolutely not only possible but should be the expectation that healthcare workers are equipped with the tools to insure they do not become infected while treating (I'll use your verbiage) "those Ebola people."

HIV = strawman (I think not)... but, of course PQ cares little about anything that doesn't fit her agenda.

Want some science and facts - hold on to your knitting needles PQ, because here they are......

Dr. Tom Frieden, director of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said; "We have to work now so this is not the world’s next AIDS."

Dr. Amesh Adalja, a representative of the Infectious Diseases Society of America (IDSA) has publicly stated that the Ebola Virus and HIV "are similar." ...

"to deny the similarities is to stigmatize Ebola in much the way the U.S. did with AIDS."

Both are mutating viruses, both emerged from Africa, neither has a vaccine, both are fatal if left untreated, both are believed to have originated from host animals and then progressed to using humans as hosts (possibly through contact by hunters to the original host animals). Both have an incubation/latency period where it is extremely difficult to detect them (HIV's is much longer). Neither are airborne. Both are most readily transmitted by intimate contact with an infected person's blood or other bodily fluids. Infection from either can be eliminated through very similar health protocols.

The main difference (superficially speaking) is that Ebola can be spread through additional boldly fluids that while HIV is present in, has not shown to be prevalent enough to cause an infection (urine, sweat, feces, etc.). The other significant difference is that a person with HIV is infectious to others while showing no symptoms for up to 10 years or so. A person infected with Ebola is not infectious to others until symptoms appear (usually within 21 days of infection).

To deny the similarities is the height of ignorance - which explains your stance PQ.
    My brother is HIV positive although it has not blown into AIDS, thank god. Don't preach to me as I am well aware of the heartbreak and horror. I deliberately chose the phrase AIDS person because I hate to call them AIDS VICTIMS. It is a subtlety you might not grasp but is has to do with treating them as people rather than defining them by the disease. Same with ebola. Your condescending comments aren't appreciated or called for. Who are you to judge the phrase? I am not an AIDS counselor in a previous life but I don't have to be to appreciate the disease or how it devastates families and communities. I love my brother and for you to assume by a phrase that I am being ignorant or dismissive of him or other people affected by the disease is over the top. If there is any insensitivity going on, you just displayed it. If you want to start a stampede that you can get aids from vomit and the like, go for it. Make life harder for AIDS people, jeeze. Yes, you can, I suppose, get the virus that way but the community has spent decades trying to get past that fear. And whole sale quarantines have never been effective anywhere because of the way it spreads. With the millins of aids patients who have been safely cared for in hospitals and living among us, to equate the risk of contamination from ebola with AIDS is asinine.

4. Default Re: Ebola virus

Quote Originally Posted by PennyQuilts View Post
    Your point? No health care worker treating an aids patient has been infected as a result (perhaps a needle prick?) anywhere. Doesn't happen because the transmission is completely different.
    As of December 2008 = 57 instances of occupational HIV transmission to healthcare workers in the US were reported to the CDC. Another 138 cases fall under 'possible' occupational infections to healthcare providers. There is no 'perhaps a needle prick' - needle sticks ARE a primary mode of infection to healthcare workers - followed by contact with non-intact skin (which can be as simple as chapped, abraded or afflicted with dermatitis).

5. Default Re: Ebola virus

My brother is HIV positive although it has not blown into AIDS, thank god. Don't preach to me as I am well aware of the heartbreak and horror. I deliberately chose the phrase AIDS person because I hate to call them AIDS VICTIMS. It is a subtlety you might not grasp but is has to do with treating them as people rather than defining them by the disease. Same with ebola. Your condescending comments aren't appreciated or called for. Who are you to judge the phrase? I am not an AIDS counselor in a previous life but I don't have to be to appreciate the disease or how it devastates families and communities. I love my brother and for you to assume by a phrase that I am being ignorant or dismissive of him or other people affected by the disease is over the top. If there is any insensitivity going on, you just displayed it. If you want to start a stampede that you can get aids from vomit and the like, go for it. Make life harder for AIDS people, jeeze. Yes, you can, I suppose, get the virus that way but the community has spent decades trying to get past that fear. And whole sale quarantines have never been effective anywhere because of the way it spreads. With the millins of aids patients who have been safely cared for in hospitals and living among us, to equate the risk of contamination from ebola with AIDS is asinine.
    You never stop putting your ignorance or indifference on stage do you?

How about a 'person diagnosed with AIDS' (or is that concept just too hard to grasp?)

I can judge a phrase you put out there publicly just as easily as you can judge the fine medical people who selflessly come to other's aid and place themselves at great risk - only to then be referred to as twits and dicks by you.

The [HIV+/AIDS] community has only spent "decades trying to get past that fear" because of ignorance displayed by people like yourself who promote the fear mongering in the first place. The EXACT same unjustified fear of 'catching AIDS' is what is now going on with the unjustified fear of 'catching Ebola.' Which is only furthered by the ignorance of others who scream "quarantine! quarantine!"

You ma'am are part of the problem.

You never stop putting your ignorance or indifference on stage do you?

How about a 'person diagnosed with AIDS' (or is that concept just too hard to grasp?)

I can judge a phrase you put out there publicly just as easily as you can judge the fine medical people who selflessly come to other's aid and place themselves at great risk - only to then be referred to as twits and dicks by you.

The [HIV+/AIDS] community has only spent "decades trying to get past that fear" because of ignorance displayed by people like yourself who promote the fear mongering in the first place. The EXACT same unjustified fear of 'catching AIDS' is what is now going on with the unjustified fear of 'catching Ebola.' Which is only furthered by the ignorance of others who scream "quarantine! quarantine!"

You ma'am are part of the problem.
    Unbelievable. I had no idea you were so PC and willing to put form over substance. My sincere and respectful reasoning for my choice of words doesn't jive with your opinion so I become part of the problem in your eyes. You are actually lecturing the sister of an HIV positive person and calling her part of the problem because she said AIDS people instead of people with AIDS. Wow. And as for quarantine - you haven't even read what I've posted, clearly.

You simply can't bring yourself to admit that nurses gowned head to toe with an inch of skin showing are getting infected by their ebola patients and that isn't happening with AIDS patients. Why do you feel the need to personally attack me?

Unbelievable. I had no idea you were so PC and willing to put form over substance. My sincere and respectful reasoning for my choice of words doesn't jive with your opinion so I become part of the problem in your eyes. You are actually lecturing the sister of an HIV positive person and calling her part of the problem because she said AIDS people instead of people with AIDS. Wow. And as for quarantine - you haven't even read what I've posted, clearly.

You simply can't bring yourself to admit that nurses gowned head to toe with an inch of skin showing are getting infected by their ebola patients and that isn't happening with AIDS patients. Why do you feel the need to personally attack me?
    As you state that someone volunteering their time in africa doesn't just give them a pass. I state to you that your brothers medical condition does not give you one either.
    I am a Gay man in my 40's who survived the AIDS crisis and went to more Funerals of friends and loved ones that I care to recall. and the term AIDS PERSON is disrespectful. you can dismiss it as "wow didn't know you were so PC" if you wish but PC or not its down right disrespectful to people who are living with HIV and those who perished due to that diagnosis.
    Stop playing a victim for once and admit you are WRONG WRONG WRONG on this one.
    very tired of your attitude towards others and when called on it your victim mentality its grown old.. That is all I will say to you on this or any subject as the block feature I think will help in this matter a great deal.

Not to repeat myself but I will....

If you're going to play the victim card at least don't victimize others while you do it.

*Seriously - we can't say V@ginal on this forum but PQ can call someone a dick?
    Just try mentioning the county of which Cordell is the seat, or the river that runs through the state from Cheyenne down to Lake Texoma...

Be thankful that we can still talk about Poor Richard's Almanack with such aggressive bowdlerizing automata in service!

Judge in Maine temporarily limits nurse's activities

The judge, who issued the temporary order in response to a state petition, said a hearing on the matter must be held in the next three to 10 days.

The temporary order requires Hickox to:

• submit to monitoring;

• coordinate all travel with public health officials;

• avoid public places;

• maintain a 3-foot buffer from others while engaging in outdoor public activities such as jogging or biking; and

• not leave the Fort Kent community.

Hysteria and not facts at work once again.

"The order does not amount to a strict quarantine requiring her to remain inside her boyfriend's home, where she has been living since Monday, but does order her not to leave the town of Fort Kent."

Isn't this something she's already been doing? I still wonder what the legalities are of a force quarantine on a person who's not showing any signs of an illness.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kelroy55 View Post
    Hysteria and not facts at work once again.

"The order does not amount to a strict quarantine requiring her to remain inside her boyfriend's home, where she has been living since Monday, but does order her not to leave the town of Fort Kent."

Isn't this something she's already been doing? I still wonder what the legalities are of a force quarantine on a person who's not showing any signs of an illness.

Penny this is how your insults and calls for strict and medically pointless quarantines are hurting. Fewer health care workers that might go and fight Ebola in Africa are going to do so. Who wants to be needlessly quarantined, ostracized, insulted with ugly names like dicks and twits as a reward for risking their lives to save others? This costs lives in Africa by impeeding our ability stop the spread at the source in Africa and therefore actually raises our risk here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kyle View Post
    with such aggressive bowdlerizing automata in service!
    I'm going to use that phrase some time .

My point was only that you stated health care workers have died from ebola and I clarified that none has. I simply thought you had wrong information. I wouldn't want anyone accusing you of exaggerating the situation.

Jn
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
    As you state that someone volunteering their time in africa doesn't just give them a pass. I state to you that your brothers medical condition does not give you one either.
    I am a Gay man in my 40's who survived the AIDS crisis and went to more Funerals of friends and loved ones that I care to recall. and the term AIDS PERSON is disrespectful. you can dismiss it as "wow didn't know you were so PC" if you wish but PC or not its down right disrespectful to people who are living with HIV and those who perished due to that diagnosis.
    Stop playing a victim for once and admit you are WRONG WRONG WRONG on this one.
    very tired of your attitude towards others and when called on it your victim mentality its grown old.. That is all I will say to you on this or any subject as the block feature I think will help in this matter a great deal.
    No, it isn't disrespectful and the fact that you are gay and survived the aids crisis doesn't give you any right to judge me. My brother in law died of aids related complications just recently and the sorrow my family felt/feels is just as real as for anyone else. I hate that some people are trying to hijack the AIDS crisis to use it - USE IT - to make illogical arguments. If you want to look for disrespect, look there.

For you to presume that my choice of words is disrespectful and lay claim to the right to judge me simply because you are gay is outrageous. My brother and his gay friends have no problem with the term and perhaps that is because they know my heart. You don't but still think you can define me by a PC narrative of your choosing. Get over yourself. You are coming from a position of arrogance as if you have a greater claim to the pain than others. The gay community has been devastated by AIDS but every victim had straight mothers, fathers, siblings and who also mourn. Their losses may not be as numerous but they often lost their dearest soul and seeing their loved one grieve, repeatedly, is a special kind of hell. You are trying to create a wall between the gay community and everyone else in which you are somehow the maker of the rules of what constitutes love or respect. You are attacking a sister who loves her brother and doesn't want to see him stigmatized by people trying to hijack the AIDS crisis as a means to an end. Nice job.

Blog Entries

Jn

No, it isn't disrespectful and the fact that you are gay and survived the aids crisis doesn't give you any right to judge me. My brother in law died of aids related complications just recently and the sorrow my family felt/feels is just as real as for anyone else. I hate that some people are trying to hijack the AIDS crisis to use it - USE IT - to make illogical arguments. If you want to look for disrespect, look there.

For you to presume that my choice of words is disrespectful and lay claim to the right to judge me simply because you are gay is outrageous. My brother and his gay friends have no problem with the term and perhaps that is because they know my heart. You don't but still think you can define me by a PC narrative of your choosing. Get over yourself. You are coming from a position of arrogance as if you have a greater claim to the pain than others. The gay community has been devastated by AIDS but every victim had straight mothers, fathers, siblings and who also mourn. Their losses may not be as numerous but they often lost their dearest soul and seeing their loved one grieve, repeatedly, is a special kind of hell. You are trying to create a wall between the gay community and everyone else in which you are somehow the maker of the rules of what constitutes love or respect. You are attacking a sister who loves her brother and doesn't want to see him stigmatized by people trying to hijack the AIDS crisis as a means to an end. Nice job.

No, Penny NEVER attacks anyone.

your ability to flip every scenario to make yourself a victim is really a gift. you use the same tactics you accuse everyone else of doing to make yourself a martyr somehow.. BRAVO.

Perhaps the people close to you excuse your ignorance and dismiss your improper terms because they know you.. I can understand where that may be the case and they just say "bless her heart".
    I can't use my position as a gay man but you can use yours as someone who has gay relatives.. I see. .that makes perfect sense ( in your world perhaps). I am not creating any WALL do you think I am don't have Straight family and friends and know parents and siblings of friends who have passed.. HOW DARE YOU. I am not on some island of gay people i am in the real world so I don't need your education of who is affected by HIV i know very well thank you very much.
    Please come back and make yourself a victim ONCE again.. we are use to it. its your best trick in the bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    No, Penny NEVER attacks anyone.
    She was defending herself as always.. remember she is the victim always.

I apologize moderaters I attempted to not make this personal.. however to use such offensive terms and then be able to defend them and insult others is over the top for me.. instead of just admitting it was poor choice of words. over and over and over and always turn it around on everyone is just beyond. never taking any responsibility.

To get back to the topic, what the hell was that scrolling across the bottom of all local channels last night? I stopped paying attention, but got the idea that this person had no contact with nobody, no nothing, really, not sure why they were freaking out over him/her. Just f-ing crazy to run that for so long on all the channels...

Perhaps the people close to you excuse your ignorance and dismiss your improper terms because they know you.. I can understand where that may be the case and they just say "bless her heart".
    I used to have a senile Aunt the family always said that about.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    To get back to the topic, what the hell was that scrolling across the bottom of all local channels last night? I stopped paying attention, but got the idea that this person had no contact with nobody, no nothing, really, not sure why they were freaking out over him/her. Just f-ing crazy to run that for so long on all the channels...
    The news stations are loving this. It was non-stop coverage down here and when the nurse who had Ebola flew back to town it was breaking news on all the channels and they had cameras on the plane, you couldn't see her but they covered the crap out of the plane.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Yes they ran it across the screen all night. .and broke in during commercials to tell us. but where quick to say its just being very cautious nothing to panic about **PANIC** PANIC**. and turns out the man does not have Ebola. he does however have Malaria.

Yes they ran it across the screen all night. .and broke in during commercials to tell us. but where quick to say its just being very cautious nothing to panic about **PANIC** PANIC**. and turns out the man does not have Ebola. he does however have Malaria.

but wait......

A judge in Maine ruled Friday that Kaci Hickox, the nurse who treated Ebola patients and defied a state-imposed quarantine, can come and go as she pleases, as long as she is monitored for symptoms and lets health officials know where she’s going.

The same judge had issued a temporary order on Thursday night ordering Hickox to stay at least three feet away from other people and to stay away from crowds and public transportation.

But the judge, Charles C. LaVerdiere of state court, lifted those parts of the order on Friday. He found that authorities in Maine had not proved that restricting Hickox’s movement was necessary to protect the public from infection. He said that his order was pending a further hearing.

Hickox said she would comply, and she said she was grateful for support from all over the world. She announced no plans beyond staying in to watch a Halloween movie with her boyfriend on Friday night.

Kaci Hickox 'Humbled' by Maine Judge's Ebola Ruling - NBC News

Quote Originally Posted by kelroy55 View Post
    but wait......

A judge in Maine ruled Friday that Kaci Hickox, the nurse who treated Ebola patients and defied a state-imposed quarantine, can come and go as she pleases, as long as she is monitored for symptoms and lets health officials know where she’s going.

The same judge had issued a temporary order on Thursday night ordering Hickox to stay at least three feet away from other people and to stay away from crowds and public transportation.

But the judge, Charles C. LaVerdiere of state court, lifted those parts of the order on Friday. He found that authorities in Maine had not proved that restricting Hickox’s movement was necessary to protect the public from infection. He said that his order was pending a further hearing.

Hickox said she would comply, and she said she was grateful for support from all over the world. She announced no plans beyond staying in to watch a Halloween movie with her boyfriend on Friday night.

Kaci Hickox 'Humbled' by Maine Judge's Ebola Ruling - NBC News
    Is she required to stay 3 feet from Boyfriend as they watch the movie?.. we can't be too careful

Thread Information