Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: One of OKC's most overrated restaurants....

Default Re: One of OKC's most overrated restruants....

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    Been a very long time since I've been to a Johnnies. The above sums up way. As it seems it is still that way, I can only presume some folks think burnt is a starting point instead of a done went and fell off the chart point.
    I don't know what happened to Johnnie's, we used to go there quite often but it seemed since they started the new "Express" concept even the regular ones went downhill. We had a birthday party at the NWX location in 2004 in one of their rooms, the food was still good. We went back about a year later when we were in town and they had reduced the size of that location greatly and the food was just poor. My parents who were regulars to that location over that period of time had noticed it slipping as well even before that trip. I think they went a few more times after that, we never did. I don't know if the Britton location changed as well, it was always the primary location that I went to since I lived in or was always in that area. Seems a shame that a place that I went to for 20 years just falls off the map like that, of course they aren't the only one that has happened to.

2. Default Re: One of OKC's most overrated restruants....

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    Go to any Mexican restaurant anywhere outside of the OKC and everything but chips-n-salsa is an extra, sometimes and a refill of chips is an extra. You want queso, that will be 5.00. Tortillas? add 2.00 for 4, a sopapilla? that will be 2.00 a piece. Most non-national chain places in OKC all include those items. If you think Ted's is expensive for what you get then you wouldn't want to go to a Chuy's or some other chain from out of town, it ends up costing you much more than what you would pay at Ted's for less.

I always find the "popularity backlash" rather humorous, too many people get all wrapped up in not liking the "popular thing" and trying to find the next trendy thing...of course Austin is full of a bunch of those types. I have been to some of those places in Austin that people rave about, just because a place is a "local" doesn't mean that it is SOOOOOOO much better than XYZ chain. Some are, many are not.

Food opinions are so subjective, I rarely listen to anyones opinion about restaurants.
    +1

Default Re: One of OKC's most overrated restaurants....

1492 also makes a very good Habanero salsa

4. Default Re: One of OKC's most overrated restaurants....

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    1492 also makes a very good Habanero salsa
    Won a $100 bet from a friend who bet me I wouldn't swallow a large soup spoon full of their Habanero salsa. Which is no small feat for me, as I don't like spicy hot foods at all.

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    Won a $100 bet from a friend who bet me I wouldn't swallow a large soup spoon full of their Habanero salsa. Which is no small feat for me, as I don't like spicy hot foods at all.
    i love hot stuff and sometimes it is a little warm for me .... i ususally go half and half with their hab and thier regular salsa

Just go ahead and reserve me a room at the ER if I did that lol

Have your friend sign me up for the bet, easy $100.

I used to like Ted's Atomic Hot Sauce (on the side, available on request) until we began dining--maybe once a month--at Casa Perico (I would suggest anything they make involving pork, esp. "Puerco Verde".)

I wonder what the term is for having one's expectations met (and/or exceeded) on a first time visit to a place . . . (Iron Starr).

And whatever happened to the plans for 1492 (or some other Midtown restaurant) to open a location in or near Cassady Square . . . (Perhaps they read the chapters in "Kitchen Confidential" regarding premature expansion? =)

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    I used to like Ted's Atomic Hot Sauce (on the side, available on request) until we began dining--maybe once a month--at Casa Perico (I would suggest anything they make involving pork, esp. "Puerco Verde".)

I wonder what the term is for having one's expectations met (and/or exceeded) on a first time visit to a place . . . (Iron Starr).

And whatever happened to the plans for 1492 (or some other Midtown restaurant) to open a location in or near Cassady Square . . . (Perhaps they read the chapters in "Kitchen Confidential" regarding premature expansion? =)
    1492 cassady square location is in the middle of build out .. the previous space was gutted .... they have some good pics on their facebook page
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/1492-...e/130680286046

Thank you!
    (I was wondering because 1492 is a place I've always wanted to try, but I am rarely in Midtown at mealtime. It simply always sounded good to me. I hope that the ghosts of The Worst Jimmy's Egg Ever and The Best "local" Pizza ever--in that exact "mall"--not to mention The Impossible to Succeed BBQ Place down the street don't haunt it. =)

That whole strip on Britton is just an odd location.

You got THAT rite. =)

(So . . . Is 1492 going to be on The North Side or The South Side?)

[Try finding The Historic Boot Repair Place . . . or the dearly departed Perri's Pizza! =)]

(with tip's o' the Culinary Arts hat to that "Kitchen Confidential" dude ;-)

southwest corner next door to naifeh jewelry

Thank you, Sir.

(apparently where the [sort of/extremely overrated/overdecorated/oldetymee] "chinese restaurtant" used to be, prior to their move to an aging mall on N.May at which point i think the property may have morphed into inca trail?)

I have not personally experienced any cuisine with which to compare Peruvian Food.
    Therefore I can't "dis" Inca Trail.

My expectations for 1492 [del Norte], on the other hand . . .
    Will hopefully not fall within the parameters of the title of this thread. =)

Thank you.
    Again.

I might have had a bad experience, but I was not impressed at all with 1492. The enchiladas were decent, but not near worth the price. I can get the same meal (but better) down the street at Iguana for nearly half the price they charged.

Here ya go.... http://eatocracy.cnn.com/2012/02/28/...sa/?hpt=hp_bn8

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    I might have had a bad experience, but I was not impressed at all with 1492. The enchiladas were decent, but not near worth the price. I can get the same meal (but better) down the street at Iguana for nearly half the price they charged.
    Thank you for the input. We ate at the (new) Iguana (on account of we liked the old Iguana on N. Western even if there is no connection whatsoever between the two restaurants). We ate there because our favorite Italian restaurant (Vito's) was booked for a private party and that "Il Tratorrio [etc.]" (downtown) wasn't open. I liked the food at Iguana. Specifically the famous fish tacos. Good portioning and a fair price. I still plan to give 1492 (the new location) a try and thank you for adjusting my expectations.

P.S.: If salsa doesn't have any "Ghost Pepper" in it, it can't be the hottest ever. Not that I am insane (enough) to subject my palate to that sort of abuse. =)

Quote Originally Posted by Roadhawg View Post
    At some point, that just gets silly... Gotta be about flavor as well as heat - I eat the hottest stuff that anybody around me can eat (everybody I know thinks I'm crazy for eating food that hot), but I can only do 3 chips worth of Mrs. Renfro's Ghost Pepper Salsa and even then it sticks around and hurts for about 20 minutes.

Thanks for the tip about 1492, BoulderSooner, been wanting to try them for a while, and now I have a reason. :-)

As far as Inca Trail, we tried them and did not like them. Zarate's had much better food, but sadly they seem to have changed recipes/cooks (I think) and aren't as good as they used to be. Probably going to give Zarate's one more shot before we give up on them, they used to be one of our favorites.

Thought I'd chime in on this thread as I consider myself a foodie. I'm a former resident of the OKC area, but now live in Texas. I love to eat, I will try anything, and I don't think there's a single cuisine out there that I don't like.

Got to agree with most posters here with Ted's being the most overrated. Haven't eaten there in 4-5 years, but have been multiple times since I was in high school to my early adult days. Service was awesome every single time, but the food left a lot to be desired. I remember going for the very first time, when all the hoopla first started. We waited forever and was disappointed after eating the food. It was decent, just nothing to cry home about. I'm not a huge Tex-Mex guy anymore (prefer authentic Mexican), but Ted's isn't what I would call good Tex-Mex.

My opinion on restaurants that others have commented on:

Deep Fork: I've been there twice. First time was almost 10 years ago, and I remember having an amazing experience. My steak and my girlfriend's salmon were both amazingly delicious and cooked perfectly. Ate there again just several months ago, and I am shocked at how bad the food has gotten. Filet mignon and salmon, and both were terrible! I'm not exaggerating either. Filet mignon was super dry and overcooked (I order medium rare). Salmon was also dry, and had zero flavor. Not sure what has happened in the past 10 years, but I used to push everyone that I know to Deep Fork if they want a higher end steak, but now... I don't tell anyone to go there.

Tokyo: Haven't been in forever, but used to go all the time back in the day. I agree that it was our favorite sushi place back then. But I will disagree that all the other ones are bad. I have enjoyed Neko every time I've gone. Shiki isn't bad either, but Tokyo and Neko are my favorites in town. They all pail in comparison to sushi in Japan though.

Cajun King: I have never gone here, but my fiancee (also a foodie) went a few weeks back and she thought it was extremely overrated. Can't remember what she disliked, however. If you guys want a good piece of fried catfish though, there's a gas station in far north OKC that makes the best fried catfish that I have ever had. It's right next to Rose Creek golf course.

The Wedge: Ok, I have only been once, but my single experience was a really good one. We ate a spinach, mushroom, and chicken pizza and a pepperoni/mushroom that were both excellent. Can't remember how much we paid, but I thought it was just slightly overpriced. Still worth it though being there's not too many good pizza joints in OKC, imo. Hideway, for example, is just ok in my opinion. I remember hearing how amazing it was, growing up. Been there a couple of times, and both times were just ok.

Just my take on some of the restaurants that you guys mentioned. However, I think in addition to talking about how bad these restaurants are, we should start a thread on favorites/underrated/hidden gems/etc. Will highlight our city in a more positive way, imo.

Not to change gears too much, but have any of you tried the "New to Market" Marcos Pizza?
    They have 3 locations I think. 2 in Edmond, and one on South Penn.
    Obviously it's not as good as some of the gourmet pizza places but we REALLY like it.
    To me it blows all the chain pizza stores out of the water, and its SO busy every time we go in there!

+1 on San Marcos. I have 4 pizza places right around the corner from me and I happily drive the 4 miles to San Marcos for take out.

Quote Originally Posted by soonermike81 View Post
    If you guys want a good piece of fried catfish though, there's a gas station in far north OKC that makes the best fried catfish that I have ever had. It's right next to Rose Creek golf course.
    I know the place you are talking about! It's at NW 178th & May and it's a small, run-down convenience store/gas station owned and operated by some Asian folks. We live nearby and go in often. All of their fried foods are outstanding with my favorites being the meat pockets and the BBQ burritos. They sell no-ethanol gasoline and many of the yard crews working in the area line up to buy gas for their lawn mowers/weed wackers in the morning and then they are back for lunch around noon.

They also carry some of the more rare soft drinks like Mexican Coke, Jarritos brand sodas and one that is a sangria flavored soda (my favorite). I really hope the new Conoco going in at 178th & Penn doesn't hurt their business. We really like having them around.

Quote Originally Posted by corwin1968 View Post
    I know the place you are talking about! It's at NW 178th & May and it's a small, run-down convenience store/gas station owned and operated by some Asian folks.
    AKA "Okie Stop"

interesting thread.. I am not surprised that folks who enjoy Toby Keiths and Spaghetti wharehouse don't like Tuckers, Mutts or BTT..
    some people just aren't foodies and are happy with cafeteria food pushed out by line cooks.. very Furrs with a different decor.
    OKC has some great local food joints. Love taking friends to them when they visit and they are always impressed with the quality.
    Teds is ok but like others have said it is on the same line as chelinos or any of those tex-mex places.. I prefer BTT or Iguana myself but occasionally I like the other "Platter" type mexican places.
    For steakhouse I don't care for RAnch.. it is overpriced for the quality..
    Red Prime, Boulevard both work for me.. but actually have had great steak at Paseo Grill as well.
    Eischens is definately overrated.. even seeing them on DDD you could tell Guy was a bit unimpressed with the recipes.. very CANNED and thrown together.. long drive for just chicken.. in my opinion..

25. Default Re: One of OKC's most overrated restruants....

Quote Originally Posted by JayhawkTransplant View Post
    I have a friend who works at Opus Prime Steakhouse. What do people think of Opus? Urbanspoon indicates that people don't tend to like it...I can't form much of an opinion, because I'm really not a steak kind of girl.

And I do have a hard time finding Mexican restaurants in OKC that I like. Ted's is okay, but I like places like Iguana much better. Many of the Mexican places in OKC, like Ted's, serve a very watery cheese with the chips and salsa, and it's just gross to me.

I will add Cajun King to the overrrated list. I have only been once, so I may have gone on a bad day, but everything was overcooked and underflavored.
    Decided to go to Opus last night since we were on that side of town. Almost changed our minds when we went on Urban Spoon and saw their dismal 57% rating, but decided to develop our own opinion.... So glad we did.

Not really sure what to try we did the platter with lobster, crab and steak. We also ordered a salad and some sides (lobster mac & cheese, creamed corn, and spinach).

It was a Friday night about 8:40pm and the place was D-E-A-D. But the atmosphere was really nice and the hostess and waiter was top notch. We started with some wine salad..... Wine selection was one of the best in town and the salads were very fresh, lightly dressing'd and a half was the size of most restaurants full size.

The steak was perfectly medium rare and lightly seasoned and had a good (not great) flavor. The lobster was nicely done and not rubbery and had plenty of meat and the crab legs were surprisingly plump and very tasty.

My favorite though were the lobster mac & cheese and cream corn. The M&C was slightly burned on top so it had a nice crunch (just the way I like it) and the cream corn seemed steamed on the cob and then seasoned and served as the kernels were plump, firm and very sweet tasting (excellent).

We were very pleased we stopped in and find it a shame they have such little business and such bad reviews. I do agree though that for the price, there are certainly other (and some better) options, but we really liked it and would go back.

Thread Information