Widgets Magazine

Thread: Plaza District

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Plaza District

Quote Originally Posted by blangtang View Post
    Question: for those people up on city building codes and neighborhoods, in the mostly single family area of the plaza, namely south of 16th, between say blackwelder and penn on the west, would the city of OKC allow for a vacant lot to pour a slab and build one of those architectural designed kit homes on the slab, even tho it would stick out in the character of the housing stock of the neighborhood?

I was trying to find some info from the city's webpages but i knew there was a guy on here that could give some insight. basically can u build what ever design on one of those lots or does it have to conform to certain neighborhood character, like be a newly built shot gun shack bungalow style. any city zoning links would be helpful. i'm talking a single family not mulitfamily. thanks in advance.
    From my planning days (years ago and in a different state) - you can build whatever type of home you want on any plot of land you can buy. I have seen people move mobile homes into subdivisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    From my planning days (years ago and in a different state) - you can build whatever type of home you want on any plot of land you can buy. I have seen people move mobile homes into subdivisions.
    Mobile homes can only be installed on lots over 5 acres or in a Mobile Home Overlay zoning area. And to answer the general question, yes, at this point in time anyone can build the home of their choice in these neighborhoods.

If you have an opinion, please stay tuned to the happenings of planokc. These types of issues will be very important as planokc moves from Goal development into Policy development. http://www.planokc.org. If you have time, read the following PDF, especially pages 35-42, which are specifically about building and apperance issues. http://www.planokc.org/docs/health/F...2011-07-01.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by cafeboeuf View Post
    Mobile homes can only be installed on lots over 5 acres or in a Mobile Home Overlay zoning area. And to answer the general question, yes, at this point in time anyone can build the home of their choice in these neighborhoods.
    Not to argue the point with you but while sitting in a Community Development meeting I was told by our planning director that if anyone comes into the office and asks me if they can move a mobile home into a subdivision I am to tell them no. About 4 hours later I was asked that very question by a developer. I told him no. The next day I was given a letter from the Federal Government Housing and Urban Development telling me it was illegal to descriminate based on housing type and material so long as all other requirments were met. 2 weeks later 2 mobile homes were moved on to vacant lots in a non-deed restricted subdidivion. That is when I found out there is difference between what City Hall tells you can do vs what you can actually do.

Thread Information