Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Warren Theater North OKC

Default Re: Warren Theater North OKC

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    To clarify, almost all the protest came from people living in The Oaks, which is on the northwest corner of Eastern and the turnpike.

This is on the other side of the turnpike and the main objection was increased traffic.
    My wife and I have actually been thinking about moving to the Oaks for a few years, mostly been waiting for Life Time to open. I told her when I saw this was approved that we better do it soon before the house values increase. Funny how different people have different views.

That is also the ONLY Kilpatrick entrance exit before broadway, it should be built out.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
    My wife and I have actually been thinking about moving to the Oaks for a few years, mostly been waiting for Life Time to open. I told her when I saw this was approved that we better do it soon before the house values increase. Funny how different people have different views.

That is also the ONLY Kilpatrick entrance exit before broadway, it should be built out.
    I believe a few years back they were going to study redesigning these service roads and adding new entrances and exits at Bryant and Coltrane as well as finishing the widening to I-35. Not sure if that went anywhere.

They have delayed the construction of additional flyovers at Hefner Parkway and SH-74.

KFOR's update.
    http://kfor.com/2017/03/28/proposed-...ity-residents/

Of interest was this comment:

However, people living South of the Turnpike are generally supportive of the Warren project, even if it feels like a reversal of their values.
    "Initially. it was just as scary as could be." said Lance cook, whose family has lived directly across the street from the site for 35 years. "I did not think that that could be a good thing. But Bill Warren came and actually met with us and talked to us about his vision what his movie are and talked about how he wanted to be a part of the community and to have a nice area."
    Many people are reasonable and do "get it".

Any timetable for opening?

I live within walking distance of the proposal and I'm 110% in support of this development.

Blog Entries

I agree ^. I live within walking distance as well and cannot wait for this to get built. I hope a speciality grocery is not far behind.

From the NewsOK article: http://newsok.com/article/5543408

Porter Davis, president of the Oaks Owners Association for the Oaks 1 and 2 additions, said the neighbors' next steps are "to be determined. The council just voted to break state law."

"This was outrageous and indefensible," he said.
    What state law is he talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    From the NewsOK article: http://newsok.com/article/5543408

What state law is he talking about?
    Clearly it must be the surface parking. WE NEED MORE SURFACE PARKING.

I don't understand how Edmond people can get pissy about what okc is doing.

OKC Council approves rezoning for Warren Theatre

By: Brian Brus The Journal Record March 28, 2017

OKLAHOMA CITY – The City Council on Tuesday approved a rezoning request by a development group with the Chickasaw Nation for the construction of a Warren Theatre complex in northeastern Oklahoma City.

Council members approved the rezoning 7-1 with Ed Shadid voting against it and David Greenwell absent.

The process for fleshing out plans for 2221 NE 122nd St. now goes to the Oklahoma City Planning
    Commission, which may require further concessions beyond those mentioned in Tuesday’s council meeting.
    The area is immediately south of the Kilpatrick Turnpike and just east of N. Eastern Avenue. The protesters at Tuesday’s council meeting live north of the turnpike. A smaller number of residents closer to the development on its southern side also attended the meeting to express support for the project.

Protesters said they don’t want their view of largely undeveloped space across the turnpike changed, and they’re concerned about how more lights and traffic will affect their lifestyles and home values.

Supporters said development is inevitable, and they’ve worked with other developers nearby over the years to negotiate the smallest impact possible.

By the end of the meeting, David Box, an attorney representing the developer, said he could not agree to further delays because the opposing side refused to negotiate toward a common position. Councilwoman Meg Salyer confirmed as much when she asked a protester if any change in the application would be sufficient to settle their concerns.

In November, Kilpatrick at Eastern LLC purchased the property from Frontier State Bank for $5.6 million. The 29 acres are listed on the Oklahoma county assessor website with a market value of $1.1 million.

At the time, the land was already zoned as PUD-1156, or a planned unit development district appropriate for office buildings. Box’s client sought a change to PUD-1630, planned unit development tracts primarily for a theater, as well as restaurants, offices, child care and retail sales.

He said the current zoning is not as rural as protesters believe; it is merely undeveloped. An office complex could be built there instead, he said, but a movie theater will have a smaller impact.

Trees on the north side of the site cannot be cut down because they’re on Oklahoma Turnpike Authority property, Box said. Developers intend to keep twice the green space than is required. And the developer agreed to not sell alcoholic drinks at the theater. Although a tribal gambling center isn’t even allowed under city ordinance, Box said, the group also promised not to pursue any such project.

Protesters expressed strong emotions over the loss of 20 acres. Resident Thomas Green described it as bringing a Disney amusement park to the rim of the Grand Canyon. Terry Green said she and her husband like to sit and talk while watching hawks making lazy circles in the sky over the area.

Porter Davis, who led the protesting group, said he was upset that John Kennedy failed to mention the theater plan when they ate together as family members over Thanksgiving. Kennedy is president of the Kennedy Consulting firm, which is part of the ownership group with the Chickasaw Nation. He has worked on several projects involving the Chickasaws as well as Chesapeake Energy Corp., BancFirst and the University of Oklahoma.

Davis also called for Councilman John Pettis Jr. to recuse himself, alleging he had failed to treat constituents fairly, that he accepted a large election campaign contribution from the Chickasaw Nation and that his candidate documents for the recent political race were not filed correctly. Pettis did not respond to the claims.

The new Warren will surely make it less likely for Stillwater to get a Warren, since it will be a shorter drive than the one in Moore.

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    OKC Council approves rezoning for Warren Theatre

By: Brian Brus The Journal Record March 28, 2017

OKLAHOMA CITY – The City Council on Tuesday approved a rezoning request by a development group with the Chickasaw Nation for the construction of a Warren Theatre complex in northeastern Oklahoma City.

Council members approved the rezoning 7-1 with Ed Shadid voting against it and David Greenwell absent.

The process for fleshing out plans for 2221 NE 122nd St. now goes to the Oklahoma City Planning
    Commission, which may require further concessions beyond those mentioned in Tuesday’s council meeting.
    The area is immediately south of the Kilpatrick Turnpike and just east of N. Eastern Avenue. The protesters at Tuesday’s council meeting live north of the turnpike. A smaller number of residents closer to the development on its southern side also attended the meeting to express support for the project.

Protesters said they don’t want their view of largely undeveloped space across the turnpike changed, and they’re concerned about how more lights and traffic will affect their lifestyles and home values.

Supporters said development is inevitable, and they’ve worked with other developers nearby over the years to negotiate the smallest impact possible.

By the end of the meeting, David Box, an attorney representing the developer, said he could not agree to further delays because the opposing side refused to negotiate toward a common position. Councilwoman Meg Salyer confirmed as much when she asked a protester if any change in the application would be sufficient to settle their concerns.

In November, Kilpatrick at Eastern LLC purchased the property from Frontier State Bank for $5.6 million. The 29 acres are listed on the Oklahoma county assessor website with a market value of $1.1 million.

At the time, the land was already zoned as PUD-1156, or a planned unit development district appropriate for office buildings. Box’s client sought a change to PUD-1630, planned unit development tracts primarily for a theater, as well as restaurants, offices, child care and retail sales.

He said the current zoning is not as rural as protesters believe; it is merely undeveloped. An office complex could be built there instead, he said, but a movie theater will have a smaller impact.

Trees on the north side of the site cannot be cut down because they’re on Oklahoma Turnpike Authority property, Box said. Developers intend to keep twice the green space than is required. And the developer agreed to not sell alcoholic drinks at the theater. Although a tribal gambling center isn’t even allowed under city ordinance, Box said, the group also promised not to pursue any such project.

Protesters expressed strong emotions over the loss of 20 acres. Resident Thomas Green described it as bringing a Disney amusement park to the rim of the Grand Canyon. Terry Green said she and her husband like to sit and talk while watching hawks making lazy circles in the sky over the area.

Porter Davis, who led the protesting group, said he was upset that John Kennedy failed to mention the theater plan when they ate together as family members over Thanksgiving. Kennedy is president of the Kennedy Consulting firm, which is part of the ownership group with the Chickasaw Nation. He has worked on several projects involving the Chickasaws as well as Chesapeake Energy Corp., BancFirst and the University of Oklahoma.

Davis also called for Councilman John Pettis Jr. to recuse himself, alleging he had failed to treat constituents fairly, that he accepted a large election campaign contribution from the Chickasaw Nation and that his candidate documents for the recent political race were not filed correctly. Pettis did not respond to the claims.
    Well now I don't really care. It's just another movie theater.

Porter Davis sounds like a real peach, must be pals with Ed Shadid

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    You mean the OKC residents in the Oaks? Because us folks North of Memorial don't care. Besides the fact we'll have a Showbiz Cinema opened first.

And it'll have a bar.

Quote Originally Posted by bradh View Post
    Porter Davis sounds like a real peach, must be pals with Ed Shadid
    LOL, he is the opposite of Shadid. He is an extremist on the right, supported Trump and who believes in conspiracy theories and false flags. His concern for protecting the Cross Timbers from Warren does seem like an outlier for him, though.

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    The Oaks is in OKC. Regardless, the cities should attempt to be neighbourly. If you lived on a city boarder and they changed zoning from residential to a dump, I think you'd have a right to complian even though you weren't in that city.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    LOL, he is the opposite of Shadid. He is an extremist on the right, supported Trump and who believes in conspiracy theories and false flags. His concern for protecting the Cross Timbers from Warren does seem like an outlier for him, though.
    Reading some of his views he comes off as an anti vaxer, but to be fair to him, he is the President of the Oaks homeowners association so it's hard to know how much is him or how much is him doing his job.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    The new Warren will surely make it less likely for Stillwater to get a Warren, since it will be a shorter drive than the one in Moore.
    NOOOO!

19. Default Re: Warren Theater North OKC

"Terry Green said she and her husband like to sit and talk while watching hawks making lazy circles in the sky over the area."

SMH

I think this is really exciting. We used to live over in the Northwood edition right off of Memorial and Eastern. I can't wait to see how NE OKC is going to look in the upcoming years. The stretch of land on Eastern from Memorial clear down to I-44 is nothing but empty land. I would love to see this develop over time. If anything, people who live in this region should be excited. With all the people complaining, I've never understood these people who will gripe and complain about some new development that's growing and helping our city. You live in a city. There's going to be development and growth.

But then again, what do you expect from Edmond? I mean they've passed laws that outlaw any type of large outdoor signage (billboard/electronic). Edmond needs to get with the times. They are one of the fastest growing cities in the U.S., yet they want to treat it as if it's just a tiny suburb.

Quote Originally Posted by tyeomans View Post
    I think this is really exciting. We used to live over in the Northwood edition right off of Memorial and Eastern. I can't wait to see how NE OKC is going to look in the upcoming years. The stretch of land on Eastern from Memorial clear down to I-44 is nothing but empty land. I would love to see this develop over time. If anything, people who live in this region should be excited. With all the people complaining, I've never understood these people who will gripe and complain about some new development that's growing and helping our city. You live in a city. There's going to be development and growth.

But then again, what do you expect from Edmond? I mean they've passed laws that outlaw any type of large outdoor signage (billboard/electronic). Edmond needs to get with the times. They are one of the fastest growing cities in the U.S., yet they want to treat it as if it's just a tiny suburb.
    Again, this isn't Edmond. These are OKC folks.

22. Default Re: Warren Theater North OKC

I live in Oakdale (Hefner & Sooner) and I love what's going on up this way! Warren, Showbiz, a Chick Filet and best of all, a Crest coming next year! Finally we are getting some conveniences, and damn good ones!. Yippeeee!

Quote Originally Posted by Patchy Proot View Post
    I live in Oakdale (Hefner & Sooner) and I love what's going on up this way! Warren, Showbiz, a Chick Filet and best of all, a Crest coming next year! Finally we are getting some conveniences, and damn good ones!. Yippeeee!
    Where's a Crest going in?

24. Default Re: Warren Theater North OKC

From what I have learned it will be on the southwest corner of Covell and Sooner across from the new Edmond Conference Center and Showbiz Movie / Bowling / Arcade / Bar development. We have lived out here since '08 and have had relatively slim pickins when it comes to things. Only grocery within many miles is Walmart, and the only fast foods until recently were Sonic and McDonald's. We have always enjoyed going to Quail AMC for movies, but it will be nice having newer, upscale and closer options. The Crest is what I am really excited about. I used to drive to the one on 15th & Santa Fe, but needing things so regularly, Walmart quickly became our mainstay. But not for long!

Not everyone that lives in The Oaks (including me and several of my younger neighbors) was against this proposal. A lot of my neighbors contacted me, knowing that I am in commercial real estate, and asked me if they were crazy for NOT signing our neighborhood HOA petition.

This will be a huge boost to the area and that parcel inparticular that is likely not ever going to be a residential neighborhood because it's not Edmond Schools south of the turnpike. The people complaining about the development literrally think that a 3 story office building is more obtrusive than a 6 lane highway <--turnpike.

Thread Information