Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 51 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Plaza District

Default Re: Plaza District

I love the Plaza Arts district and Saint's Irish Pub is a great place.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Plazaarts.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	149.2 KB 
ID:	2010

Looks like The Mule is getting close to opening:

http://www.plazadistrict.org/2012/08...s-almost-here/

This sounds great! Trivia night and grilled cheese? Doesn't get any better than that.

2012 Plaza District Festival Celebrates Local Creativity
    Annual festival to celebrate a revitalized arts district and community

Event Date: Saturday, Sept. 29, 2012
    Event Time: 12 p.m. - 10 p.m.
    Event Location: 1700 block of NW 16th Street, Oklahoma City, OK
    More Info: www.plazadistrictfestival.com

On Saturday, Sept. 29, 2012, Oklahoma City’s Plaza District will come alive to celebrate local creativity with the annual Plaza District Festival, presented by Fowler Volkswagen of Norman. Participants in this year’s festival can enjoy live music, artist booths, kids’ art activities and a variety of local concessions. The annual event celebrates the progress of the Plaza District, a district once blighted by urban decay, now boasting a renewed energy embraced by creative and diverse culture.

Along with Media Sponsor Oklahoma Gazette, The Plaza District Festival is proud to exclusively host Oklahoman artists, performers and vendors, making this festival a truly local event. More than 40 Oklahoma artist booths will line 16th Street, while local musicians and performers will be entertaining at locations spread throughout the district. The Everything Goes Dance Studio Stage will host performances every hour, highlighting the performers and students of Everything Goes Dance studio. Performances will include ballet, hip-hop, flamenco, tap, jazz and more! Live music will be hosted on the street throughout the day with performances from local favorites such as The Grown Ups, The Wurly Birds, Porch Mice and The Otis Watkins Band.

The festival is proud to host OECU’s Kidapalooza, a FREE interactive art experience for children and families. Kidapalooza features a wealth of kids’ educational art activities, thanks to the support of Oklahoma Employee’s Credit Union and the Oklahoma Arts Council. Children can create four art projects alongside art instructors from Norman Firehouse Art Center, as well participate in painting a kids mural to later be displayed in the Plaza District. For aspiring performers, the Oklahoma City Philharmonic will present an “Instrument Playground,” where children have the chance to experiment with all the instruments used in the symphony alongside professional musicians. Other activities for children include puppet making, a moon bounce, Metropolitan Library activities, a free photo booth and face painting.

Some of OKC’s finest mobile food trucks will offer local food, complemented by beer and wine. Beer tents will be hosted by district restaurants Saint Pub and The Mule, and wine by district winery Urban Winery. Proceeds from beverage sales benefit the Plaza District Association, to continue to provide these creative events and opportunities. Plaza District merchants will be open for shopping throughout the event, also hosting an array of art openings, live music and special events!

Local artists Dylan Bradway, Amanda Bradway, Tanner Frady and Dusty Gilpin will be painting a 16’x 32’ mural on the west wall of Saints Pub. Visitors are encouraged to watch the mural painting throughout the day. Velvet Monkey Salon will host a fashion show featuring designs of 10 stylists on a runway outside Velvet Monkey and 8pm.

2012 Plaza District Schedule & Activities

Fowler VW Tent
    Bigfoot & Bigfoot Calling Contest
    Treasure Chest of Treats

OECU Kidapalooza (FREE! 12 p.m. – 6 p.m.)
    Art in Action Interactive art activities by Norman Firehouse Art Center
    Kids Mural Painting
    OKC Phil Instrument Playground
    Metropolitan Library Crafts & Activities
    Face painting
    Puppet Making
    Moon bounce, Hula Hoops, Sidewalk chalk and more!
    FREE Photo booth

Food Vendors
    Mobile Vendors
    Big Truck Taco
    Heo’s Kitchen
    Roxy’s Ice Cream Social
    Atomic Dog
    Sambino’s Italian Ice
    Restaurants
    The Mule
    Saints Pub
    Urban Wineworks
    Anotjitos Guatamaltecos
    3 Beer Tents benefitting Plaza District Association

Everything Goes Dance Stage
    Dance performances at the top of every hour

West Stage
    4pm: Evan Michaels
    5pm: The Dead Armadillos
    6pm: Porch Mice
    7pm: The Otis Watkins Band
    8pm: The Wurly Birds
    9pm; The Grown-ups

Bad Granny’s Backroom
    12:30pm Alan Peters (OKC) (Singer/Songwriter)
    1:30pm Mikael Olof Junderwater (Tulsa) (Singer/Songwriter)
    2:30pm Joe Sixpack & The Americans (Norman) (Alt/Hip-Hop)
    3:30pm Maria Fantasma (Tulsa) (Singer/Songwriter)
    4:30pm Sticky Stranglets (OKC) (Alt-Rock)
    5:30pm Movements (Tulsa) (Alt-Rock)
    6:30pm Deadweight (Lawton) (Voodoo-Reefer Rock)
    7:30pm Risk On Da Disk (Tulsa) (Reggae/Hip Hop)
    8:30pm Alan Doyle and The Outsiders (Tulsa) (Hip-Hop/Rap)
    9:30pm Brother Gruesome (OKC) (Alt-Rock)

Special Events at Plaza District Businesses
    12-10pm Live mural painting on west wall of Saints Pub by Dylan Bradway, Amanda Bradway, Dusty Gilpin and Tanner Frady
    12 - 10 pm Bomb Shelter presents the entire Elements Series in a special one-day event
    8pm Velvet Monkey Fashion Show

Event Date: Saturday, Sept. 29, 2012
    Event Time: 12 p.m. - 10 p.m.
    Event Location: 1700 block of NW 16th Street, Oklahoma City, OK
    Link to Media Kit: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jsf31pim8ykmu29/6evq2O0Vav
    More Info: www.plazadistrictfestival.com

Cool - my weekend plans are set. H & 8th on Friday, then Plaza District Festival on Saturday. That is going to be a fun weekend!

Take photos and share please!

Looks like a couple of great events. Soooo much more happening in OKC these days than just 10 years ago.

Building permit today for the old Dye Furniture and Matress building just east of Saint's Pub.

This is the building recently acquired by Mason & Co. of 9th Street fame.

Permit is for renovating the restrooms and future use is shown as "retail".

Looks like The Mule will be open tonight with just 3.2 beer and snacks, then have 33 other beers next week:

9. Default Re: Plaza District

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Looks like The Mule will be open tonight with just 3.2 beer and snacks, then have 33 other beers next week:

Its Live on the Plaza tonight - I hope to stop in there while we are attending the festivities.

A couple of photos from The Mule:

Does the Mule offer anything to eat other than grilled cheese sandwiches?

While a few are artisan grilled cheese sandwiches, most of the menu is hot melts. They will offer soup, salad and sides of fries and onion rings.

I had such a great time at Live on the Plaza last friday. The Mule was really good.

Quote Originally Posted by OKC plaza View Post
    While a few are artisan grilled cheese sandwiches, most of the menu is hot melts. They will offer soup, salad and sides of fries and onion rings.
    Healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Healthy.
    If people want healthy a bar is not the place to go in the first place.

16. Default Re: Plaza District

Healthy.
    Why would there be any expectation of a healthy menu? People sell what a larger audience will buy. I eat healthy and I love me some good grilled cheese! We spent all our time last weekend at the Urban Wineworks location drinking and eating on the patio/sidewalk. Will have to try a sandwich at the Mule next visit.

17. Default Re: Plaza District

Question: Is The Mule open now regular hours? Tried this wacky idea of checking their website for current information - silly me, local restaurants have this weird idea that there is zero need to update their websites.

No, they are not fully open yet.

I follow their FB/Twitter updates and they are still working trying to get open "soon".

19. Default Re: Plaza District

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    No, they are not fully open yet.

I follow their FB/Twitter updates and they are still working trying to get open "soon".
    Which sort of defeats the purpose of their (pretty cool website) that has a countdown to opening that is now sitting at 0:00:00 with no further updates.

Quote Originally Posted by wschnitt View Post
    If people want healthy a bar is not the place to go in the first place.
    Thanks, Ms. Nation. But I thought you ended your crusade during Prohibition?

It is reasonable to have a couple of beers and desire to eat food that isn't a carb / saturated fat gut explosion? Healthy eaters are allowed a few cocktails now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    Why would there be any expectation of a healthy menu? People sell what a larger audience will buy. I eat healthy and I love me some good grilled cheese! We spent all our time last weekend at the Urban Wineworks location drinking and eating on the patio/sidewalk. Will have to try a sandwich at the Mule next visit.
    OK. Thanks for answering my question. Since I'm not a huge grilled cheese sandwich fan, I guess there's nothing at the Mule for me. You make a great surrogate.

Thanks, Ms. Nation. But I thought you ended your crusade during Prohibition?

It is reasonable to have a couple of beers and desire to eat food that isn't a carb / saturated fat gut explosion? Healthy eaters are allowed a few cocktails now and then.
    What's with the name calling?

If you were looking to cut carbs, why are you drinking beer?

If everything goes as planned they will be open Friday. They got the CA yesterday, getting ABLE today. I finally got a chance to look at the full menu today. There are 4 salads, about 10 sandwiches, sides of soup, salad, fries, onion rings and a massive beer, wine, liquor and cocktail list. I'm very impressed with the menu. We are excited to have them. They are great guys who are not only building a great concept for OKC, but adding to our community here in the Plaza. Hope you all will give them a try!

24. Default Re: Plaza District

OK. Thanks for answering my question. Since I'm not a huge grilled cheese sandwich fan, I guess there's nothing at the Mule for me. You make a great surrogate.
    Actually, your question had already been answered when you decided to give your very enlightening "Healthy." reply. It is that reply I was addressing (I sorta figured that was obvious considering I quoted it). And yeah, guess there's nothing at the Mule for you (darn).

Oh, and the name calling towards wschnitt...... classy!

How did a thread about a grilled cheese restaurant turn contentious??

Everybody, let's please move on. Thanks.

Thread Information