Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Fox & Hound

Default Re: The Fox & Hound

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I was just talking about this to several people...

How OKC -- despite the scores and scores of new restaurants and bars and the huge local appetite for sports -- really doesn't have many/any pure sports bars.
    I think it's because there are so many options for watching sports.... just about every restaurant and bar shows sports, that I think a "pure" sports bar would have trouble competing.

I miss Jimmy Johnson's 3 Ring though.

2. Default Re: The Fox & Hound

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    I think it's because there are so many options for watching sports.... just about every restaurant and bar shows sports, that I think a "pure" sports bar would have trouble competing.

I miss Jimmy Johnson's 3 Ring though.
    That's possible but I would be there.

So I guess around here, you're talking a Hudsons? In Topeka, there's a place called Reed's that probably fits.

4. Default Re: The Fox & Hound

Quote Originally Posted by bradh View Post
    So I guess around here, you're talking a Hudsons? In Topeka, there's a place called Reed's that probably fits.
    Nope Hudsons doesn't have enough TVs and all but a couple are smoking. Picture Twin Peaks with the servers in jeans and T-shirts

Honestly the Garage (at least in Midtown) is one of, if not the best, sports bar options in the city.

I would love to see something like the Varsity reopen. Wish they could figure out something for the Dodger's stadium.

^ I agree about the Midtown Garage.

Pub W... Yeah, I guess that's a solid sports bar.

Republic... Pretty much but it's more of a restaurant than anything else.

Is there anywhere you can go in OKC that has the full NFL, MLB, NBA packages?

^ I agree about the Midtown Garage.

Pub W... Yeah, I guess that's a solid sports bar.

Republic... Pretty much but it's more of a restaurant than anything else.

Is there anywhere you can go in OKC that has the full NFL, MLB, NBA packages?
    BWW Im pretty sure

Twin Peaks with clothes? Well, that's Pub W, or any other number of bars you deem as too high end.

Does D&B count? I saw the pac/mayweather fight there.

10. Default Re: The Fox & Hound

Quote Originally Posted by bradh View Post
    Twin Peaks with clothes? Well, that's Pub W, or any other number of bars you deem as too high end.
    Not so much high end as just not a sports bar. We love Pub W for what it is. Pub W has maybe 8 TVs in the bar area. You can see maybe three at one time without turning around. TP has two to three times that.

I've always had good luck getting places like Louie's, Old Chicago, and the Garage to change a TV over to an NHL game for me, even if I'm the only person in the building watching it.

12. Default Re: The Fox & Hound

FWIW, Hudson's Public House in Bricktown and Urban Johnnie in Deep Deuce both have a ton of screens, great sight lines and are non-smoking with great beer selections and food menus. Not sure of the league packages they have; I do all of my serious game watching in person or at home!

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    FWIW, Hudson's Public House in Bricktown and Urban Johnnie in Deep Deuce both have a ton of screens, great sight lines and are non-smoking with great beer selections and food menus. Not sure of the league packages they have; I do all of my serious game watching in person or at home!
    They have basic cable. Been disappointed many times. If it's not fox sports SW or espn, they don't have it.

14. Default Re: The Fox & Hound

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vu View Post
    They have basic cable. Been disappointed many times. If it's not fox sports SW or espn, they don't have it.
    Another part of being a real sports bar. Can you sit in one spot and see all 6 NFL (or X number of NBA, MLB, etc.) games being played at that minute. If so it's a sports bar. If not it's a bar & grill with TVs.

Not sure of the league packages they have; I do all of my serious game watching in person or at home!
    That's the big difference and one thing I've run into since I cut the cords a couple of years ago. I have to call around and check where to go to see stuff. It's tricky, especially in Edmond/N. OKC. BWW is decent. Also Skinny Slims will often get the pay per views (MMA). I'll probably use Hudson's Public House this football season.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerSoftail View Post
    What I would like to see is someone try a "clothed Twin Peaks". A place with tons of TVs that they'll put on any sport you want. Decent food, service and atmosphere. No smoking.
    As other have suggested, you seem to be describing Buffalo Wild Wings to a tee. What am I missing? I'm interested to see why you wouldn't see this as a great option. It's pretty much the only non-local restaurant I go to and it's because of the TVs (when I want to see a game no one has; they have all sports packages) and atmosphere.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    As other have suggested, you seem to be describing Buffalo Wild Wings to a tee. What am I missing? I'm interested to see why you wouldn't see this as a great option. It's pretty much the only non-local restaurant I go to and it's because of the TVs (when I want to see a game no one has; they have all sports packages) and atmosphere.
    The only one out on the NW side is cobbled together in shopping center and their bar area is smoking.

18. Default Re: The Fox & Hound

The only one out on the NW side is cobbled together in shopping center and their bar area is smoking.
    The bars in BWW are smoking. Non-smoking was one of my qualifications and the bar areas of BWW are the only areas that would qualify as a Sports Bar.

The bars in BWW are smoking. Non-smoking was one of my qualifications and the bar areas of BWW are the only areas that would qualify as a Sports Bar.
    I go Buffalo Wild Wings all the time and most are definitely non-smoking in the bar areas. I can't speak for the one in NW OKC, but the one I go to in Texas and about the last five others I have been to have all been 100% non-smoking. My wife hates smoking more than any person I know and there is zero chance she would step into any place that allowed smoking. That's unfortunate if OKC BWWs are different.

I'm not sure how all of a BWWs would not be considered a sports bar though. It's literally just tables and TVs everywhere with sports on them 24/7.

20. Default Re: The Fox & Hound

That's unfortunate if OKC BWWs are different.
    I've been in 5 different OKC area locations and all of them allow smoking in the bar.

21. Default Re: The Fox & Hound

I go Buffalo Wild Wings all the time and most are definitely non-smoking in the bar areas. I can't speak for the one in NW OKC, but the one I go to in Texas and about the last five others I have been to have all been 100% non-smoking. My wife hates smoking more than any person I know and there is zero chance she would step into any place that allowed smoking. That's unfortunate if OKC BWWs are different.

I'm not sure how all of a BWWs would not be considered a sports bar though. It's literally just tables and TVs everywhere with sports on them 24/7.
    One, the BBW bars at all the BWWs I know of are smoking. Two, the dining areas are as I said before, a bar & grill with TVs, not a. sports bar. In fact, I'm sitting at the bar at the West OKC Twin Peaks right now. I can clearly see 8 TVs from here without turning my head more than approx. 30 degrees. I can read scores, fine print, scrolling tickers, etc. from here on all of them. All have different sports on them even on a slow sports day. I'm also taking up one seat which I feel comfortable doing at a bar. In a bar & grill with TVs I would have to take up a table which I don't like doing and is unfair to the server if I'm going to be there 3 or 4 hours.

Completely different franchisee(s) in Texas and the OKC area.

One, the BBW bars at all the BWWs I know of are smoking. Two, the dining areas are as I said before, a bar & grill with TVs, not a. sports bar. In fact, I'm sitting at the bar at the West OKC Twin Peaks right now. I can clearly see 8 TVs from here without turning my head more than approx. 30 degrees. I can read scores, fine print, scrolling tickers, etc. from here on all of them. All have different sports on them even on a slow sports day. I'm also taking up one seat which I feel comfortable doing at a bar. In a bar & grill with TVs I would have to take up a table which I don't like doing and is unfair to the server if I'm going to be there 3 or 4 hours.
    I am still trying to understand the difference in what you consider a sports bar and what other people are arguing is a sports bar. I consider BWW a sports bar, BJ's, Republic and even Louie's to some extent. Did you consider Coach's a sports bar or a BBQ place with TV's? Not trying to be a d!ck, just confused and trying to understand.

^

I would say all those places are restaurants first.

Sports bars are mostly or entirely bars and typically buy the full NFL, MLB and NBA packages.

The reason most people don't see the difference here is because we don't really have any, apart from BWW.

25. Default Re: The Fox & Hound

^

I would say all those places are restaurants first.

Sports bars are mostly or entirely bars and typically buy the full NFL, MLB and NBA packages.

The reason most people don't see the difference here is because we don't really have any, apart from BWW.
    Thanks Pete.

Thread Information