Widgets Magazine
Page 398 of 455 FirstFirst ... 298348393394395396397398399400401402403448 ... LastLast
Results 9,926 to 9,950 of 11357

Thread: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    That's why I hope it's for real. Notice you use the word suggests. A study suggests that the Pfizer vaccine provides less protection against the South African variant than the original coronavirus. I'd be more concerned about the crazy misinfo still going out about the vaccines and possibly causing some people to change their minds getting them.
    When you find information about an experimental medicine on a tabloid website, I wouldn't recommend posting it on public message boards and saying "I hope it's for real." You're essentially spreading health misinformation and it can cause harm to people. I always recommend what's called "lateral reading" when you find something on an unfamiliar site. To check your claim, I searched "The Sun UK" and "Wikipedia" and was quickly able to know the site lacked credibility and it's not a source worth sharing.

But, yes, there's already good evidence the approved U.S. vaccines protect against the South African variant. Research is ongoing, but things look good.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    When you find information about an experimental medicine on a tabloid website, I wouldn't recommend posting it on public message boards and saying "I hope it's for real." You're essentially spreading health misinformation and it can cause harm to people. I always recommend what's called "lateral reading" when you find something on an unfamiliar site. To check your claim, I searched "The Sun UK" and "Wikipedia" and was quickly able to know the site lacked credibility and it's not a source worth sharing.

But, yes, there's already good evidence the approved U.S. vaccines protect against the South African variant. Research is ongoing, but things look good.
    The experimental nasal spray against COVID-19 has at least two non-tabloid sources. They are:

UK Clinical Trial Confirms SaNOtize’s Breakthrough Treatment for COVID-19 - https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...10315005197/en

Pharmacy Times saw fit to refer to it: https://www.pharmacytimes.com/view/c...on-of-covid-19

Sources I should have used in the first place.

Yes, it's always helpful to link to the sources that are most credible and I appreciate you searching more. However, I'm still not sure about the quality of these sources. First, a quick search showed that "Business Wire is an American company that disseminates full-text press releases..." So, I wouldn't consider a site that just releases "press releases" a credible source. Second, despite multiple searches, I could not find quality "about us" information "Pharmacy Times," which should at least be a red flag. Then, when I searched "SaNOtize's nasal Treatment" no credible sites showed up. Instead, it was a list of questionable sites, which suggests that this "news" could just be some corporate effort to gather attention. When you can't find any credible sources talking about a "breakthrough" treatment that could dramatically impact a worldwide pandemic, you should probably hesitate on sharing that information.

Monday last week 226
    Tuesday last week 120
    Wednesday last week 464

Monday this week 206
    Tuesday this week 109
    Wednesday this week 406

Still lower than last weeks numbers each day this week

Hospitalization down by 7 as of last nights report to 213 as of 4/13

406 new cases today; 7-day rolling average 340.

25 additional reported deaths; 7-day rolling average 14.1.

Hospitalizations are 205 (-7).

ICU is 53 (+6).

Anything yet on "breakthrough" cases in Oklahoma. What are we in terms of people with both shots? Is Oklahoma even tracking breakthrough cases?

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    Anything yet on "breakthrough" cases in Oklahoma. What are we in terms of people with both shots? Is Oklahoma even tracking breakthrough cases?
    Ranked 23rd.
    Fully Vax'd - 31.5%
    One Shot - 35.7%

Quote Originally Posted by OkiePoke View Post
    Ranked 23rd.
    Fully Vax'd - 31.5%
    One Shot - 35.7%
    So about 1.2 million full vax'd. I'm sure they are keeping track of breakthrough cases I wonder if they will get released. I think it would be very helpful.

So about 1.2 million full vax'd. I'm sure they are keeping track of breakthrough cases I wonder if they will get released. I think it would be very helpful.
    Given the way Oklahoma residents are probably hesitant on vaccine anyway, let’s not release breakthrough cases as this would probably just add to hesitation or lack of desire to get it because they will say why get it if I can still catch virus.

Just keep getting more shots in arms and keep the cases going down to convince those holdouts that they need to get it because it works

It’s just important to emphasize that breakthrough cases are still more mild and avoid the worst outcomes. It’s not like “breakthrough” cases means you’re not protected.

Quote Originally Posted by DowntownMan View Post
    Given the way Oklahoma residents are probably hesitant on vaccine anyway, let’s not release breakthrough cases as this would probably just add to hesitation or lack of desire to get it because they will say why get it if I can still catch virus.

Just keep getting more shots in arms and keep the cases going down to convince those holdouts that they need to get it because it works
    We are all ready doing a poor job with the narrative. I'm starting to see why people don't want to get the shot. When you see the President outside wearing a mask it doesn't help. When news 9 runs a story on how variants are dangerous it doesn't help. When National media keeps saying cases in 20 states are rising after we gave a record number of shots it doesn't help. Dr Fauci says it's not ok to go out to eat https://www.eatthis.com/news-fauci-c...laces-vaccine/ I think the narrative of 200 breakthrough cases, or whatever the number might be, out of 1 million with no hospitalizations would be a much better narrative that what is happening now.

We are all ready doing a poor job with the narrative. I'm starting to see why people don't want to get the shot. When you see the President outside wearing a mask it doesn't help. When news 9 runs a story on how variants are dangerous it doesn't help. When National media keeps saying cases in 20 states are rising after we gave a record number of shots it doesn't help. Dr Fauci says it's not ok to go out to eat https://www.eatthis.com/news-fauci-c...laces-vaccine/ I think the narrative of 200 breakthrough cases, or whatever the number might be, out of 1 million with no hospitalizations would be a much better narrative that what is happening now.
    I agree. Until national government messaging and media changes to show you can do things once you’re vaccinated then you’re going to have hold outs because what’s the point getting it if they feel nothing will change for them mask wise/restrictions wise. We need public figures to show they feel safe (not masked) and not worried once vaccinated to give confidence in vaccines.
    I’m two weeks past my second shot and While I’ll continue to wear mask anywhere I’m required to, it’s off anywhere it doesn’t have to be on as I feel safe. And I also don’t really get in close contact with crowds anyway hence why I never had any close contacts or quarantined this last year with the virus.

^

There have been tons of new guidelines from the CDC about how it's safe to travel if you're fully vaccinated, safe to gather in groups if everyone is vaccinated, etc.

There are still tons of cases (rising nationwide) and we won't have this under control until over 70% of the entire population is fully vaxxed. And, there is still a decent percentage of the population that says they'll never take the vaccine, so it's not a given when or even if that will happen.

This is not the time to claim victory and act like everything is fine. We are still in a very critical period and after everything we've all been through, responsible leaders are merely trying to keep things in hand until we can reach that critical vax threshold.

Just read the CDC guidelines (you know, the internationally respected experts) and stop expecting them to pump sunshine when we are still in the middle of a deadly pandemic.

Monday last week 226
    Tuesday last week 120
    Wednesday last week 464
    Thursday last week 483

Monday this week 206
    Tuesday this week 109
    Wednesday this week 406
    Thursday this week 302

Still lower than last weeks numbers each day this week
    There might be many states increasing but I don’t think you can say nationwide which would imply it’s happening everywhere. I don’t believe these stats showing day to day comparisons show an increase. I’ll agree it’s not decreasing but I don’t see a rise in Oklahoma (yet)

Hospital count Down 8

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

There have been tons of new guidelines from the CDC about how it's safe to travel if you're fully vaccinated, safe to gather in groups if everyone is vaccinated, etc.

There are still tons of cases (rising nationwide) and we won't have this under control until over 70% of the entire population is fully vaxxed. And, there is still a decent percentage of the population that says they'll never take the vaccine, so it's not a given when or even if that will happen.

This is not the time to claim victory and act like everything is fine. We are still in a very critical period and after everything we've all been through, responsible leaders are merely trying to keep things in hand until we can reach that critical vax threshold.

Just read the CDC guidelines (you know, the internationally respected experts) and stop expecting them to pump sunshine when we are still in the middle of a deadly pandemic.
    From the CDC there are guidelines yes but how many are going to the CDC site. It's the messaging from the Media and people in Washington DC that is wrong (at least to mean and i'm sure others that are on the fence about getting the shot) when it comes to what you can do when Vaccinated. Maybe this should go in the vaccinated thread. IF the CDC says it's ok to gather with other people with no mask which I think they have than why am I watching these 5 people talking about court packing all standing outside all with mask on? I'm sure they all been vaccinated? So if I still have to wear a mask I still have to social distance and I never go out much in the first place than why should I get vaccinated? If the goal is to get 70% vaccinated I think we could be doing a better job of convincing people that are on the fence.

I agree. Until national government messaging and media changes to show you can do things once you’re vaccinated then you’re going to have hold outs because what’s the point getting it if they feel nothing will change for them mask wise/restrictions wise. We need public figures to show they feel safe (not masked) and not worried once vaccinated to give confidence in vaccines.
    I’m two weeks past my second shot and While I’ll continue to wear mask anywhere I’m required to, it’s off anywhere it doesn’t have to be on as I feel safe. And I also don’t really get in close contact with crowds anyway hence why I never had any close contacts or quarantined this last year with the virus.
    It's so easy to understand and they keep doing it anyway.

Take this brand new vaccine.
    Can i have my freedom back?
    No.
    Ok I'm not taking it.

There might be many states increasing but I don’t think you can say nationwide which would imply it’s happening everywhere.
    That's not what nationwide means; it means the entire nation. Of course some states are up and some are down but the totals for the entire country -- cumulatively -- have been rising.

The U.S. had more than 78,000 new cases yesterday and more than 900 deaths. Those numbers are not good.

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    It's so easy to understand and they keep doing it anyway.

Take this brand new vaccine.
    Can i have my freedom back?
    No.
    Ok I'm not taking it.
    Except that's not at all what is happening.

The new CDC guidelines are all about relaxed precautions if you have been fully vaccinated and of course almost all states and cities are systematically reducing restrictions.

From the CDC there are guidelines yes but how many are going to the CDC site. It's the messaging from the Media and people in Washington DC that is wrong (at least to mean and i'm sure others that are on the fence about getting the shot) when it comes to what you can do when Vaccinated. Maybe this should go in the vaccinated thread. IF the CDC says it's ok to gather with other people with no mask which I think they have than why am I watching these 5 people talking about court packing all standing outside all with mask on? I'm sure they all been vaccinated? So if I still have to wear a mask I still have to social distance and I never go out much in the first place than why should I get vaccinated? If the goal is to get 70% vaccinated I think we could be doing a better job of convincing people that are on the fence.
    Because we are very far away from reaching the threshold needed for herd immunity and leaders are trying to set a good example by using an abundance of caution.

Noboby is forcing YOU to wear a mask while outside.

And you also don't know if the people you see have been vaccinated or not.

302 new cases today; 7-day rolling average 314.

21 additional reported deaths; 7-day rolling average 13.0.

Hopsitalizations are 196 (-9).

ICU is 47 (-6).

https://www.wsj.com/articles/cdc-ide...ts-11618490232. Back to my original question. It says 40 States reported in. Is Oklahoma one of those states does anybody know?

^

From that article:

These so-called breakthrough cases, which are defined as positive Covid-19 test results received at least two weeks after patients receive their final vaccine dose, represent 0.008% of the fully vaccinated population.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

From that article:
    Do you think we will ever see the numbers from Oklahoma? I would imagine at some point we will but when? What I'm saying is the sooner the better if they are really good like this it might push the people on the fence to get the vaccine. Speaking of that how many are we giving in a day now. Has it really treaded down.

I'm sure we'll eventually see breakthrough numbers shared in Oklahoma.

The OK Department of Health has a lot of motivation to publish such statistics because they want absolutely everyone to understand the benefits of vaccination so they can reach as high a percentage of the population as possible.

And I will reiterate that I strongly disagree that leaders are somehow sending mixed messages or that their actions discourage vaccination. They are trying to lead by example until we get to a much safer place, and we still have a long way to go. If anything, they are sounding some alarms because states and municipalities have been completely abandoning safeguards when anyone who really knows about this subject is saying it's still too darn early.

I actually agree with both sides of the discussion here. On one hand, Pete is correct that we're still in a pandemic, the CDC has released updated guidelines for vaccinated folks, and we need to proceed with caution. On the other hand, I do think the media is focusing way too much on "scariants," incredibly rare blood clots (pausing J&J use feels like a big picture mistake to me), and there is not near enough celebration in the effectiveness of these vaccines. I know "if it bleeds it leads," but I can't help that suspect that is at least partially fueling vaccine hesitancy. It's incredible that people are misinformed enough that they're weighing whether getting a vaccine is good for the health because the evidence is overwhelming that these vaccines are life savers.

So, I really get both sides of this. Let's continue to be careful, but also celebrate the milestones for those who are vaccinated.

Thread Information