Widgets Magazine
Page 34 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2930313233343536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: Tower Theatre

1. Default Re: Tower Theater

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    I think that's partially it, but I think a lot of it also has to do with where Blue October is playing these days. When they toured, almost always, they would stop at the Cain's Ballroom in Tulsa and then the Diamond here in OKC on a second leg. In 2016, they bypassed Cain's and played the Brady Theatre, which is significantly bigger, so it looks like they are doing the same thing for OKC from going to Diamond to the Tower. Either way, it's a great pickup for the Tower and I really look forward to that show, assuming the wife will let me go
    They probably bypassed Cain’s because DCF does bookings for Brady and no longer does so for Cain’s. Which makes it even more interesting that here they are bypassing Diamond (also DCF and in fact OWNED by DCF) in favor of Tower. Also, as stated above Diamond is DEFINITIELY a larger capacity than Tower.

Default Re: Tower Theater

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    They probably bypassed Cain’s because DCF does bookings for Brady and no longer does so for Cain’s. Which makes it even more interesting that here they are bypassing Diamond (also DCF and in fact OWNED by DCF) in favor of Tower. Also, as stated above Diamond is DEFINITIELY a larger capacity than Tower.
    When did that start?

3. Default Re: Tower Theater

My understanding is that it has been that way for a few years. The way it was described to me - and keep in mind that this is second hand - is that DCF and Cain’s had a great relationship until DCF started also booking shows at Brady, at which point Cain’s ownership cut them off completely from booking the venue.

I have no idea if it is related, but I personally feel like Cain’s traditionally strong bookings have dwindled a bit over the past couple of years. I just got tickets to Lord Huron in October, but there hasn’t been much over the past year especially that has caught my interest.

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    Maybe it just feels bigger. And maybe their shows have become more intricate with lighting and height that the Brady and Tower bring that Diamond and Cain’s don’t have.
    I think Tower can hold 250 in the balcony, plus 750 on the floor for a general admission show or 500 for a seated show. So 750-1,000?

I haven't seen solid capacity numbers for the Diamond, but to my untrained eye, it feels like 1,000-ish when they have it fully open? Sometimes they cut it in half and can fit 500 or so.

Is Diamond that much smaller than Cain's? I would think Diamond is more like 1,500.

6. Default Re: Tower Theater

I think Diamond is officially 1000 but might be wrong. Cain's is 1800. You're right; you could easily fit 1500 in Diamond; just not sure what the fire marshal says and honestly anything behind the sound man is wasted, terrible space. In front of the sound mixers it is a surprisingly decent experience as a fan.

Blog Entries

I wish it were legally required for performance venues to post the fire marshal limit on their websites. I tried to find the Diamond limit on their website and couldn't find it there or on wikipedia, etc. I didn't spend more than a minute on it though so I may have missed it.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    I wish it were legally required for performance venues to post the fire marshal limit on their websites. I tried to find the Diamond limit on their website and couldn't find it there or on wikipedia, etc. I didn't spend more than a minute on it though so I may have missed it.
    They probably don't to prevent people from scalping tickets. Just a guess though.

Go old school and call the FD.

I think Cain's is still doing an amazing job booking. I see Matisyahu, Excision, Jeezy, Sylvan Esso, K.Flay, and Black Tiger Sex Machine all coming up and I would love to see all of them. Probably just gonna catch Excision and maybe Sylvan Esso or BTSM. I am really disappointed in what Criterion is doing right now tho. I wish the people running tower could've taken over that venue too. I mean, their calendar stays 90% empty only having 3 or 4 shows a month when all these other great venues are doing that many a week!

Quote Originally Posted by animeGhost View Post
    I think Cain's is still doing an amazing job booking. I see Matisyahu, Excision, Jeezy, Sylvan Esso, K.Flay, and Black Tiger Sex Machine all coming up and I would love to see all of them. Probably just gonna catch Excision and maybe Sylvan Esso or BTSM. I am really disappointed in what Criterion is doing right now tho. I wish the people running tower could've taken over that venue too. I mean, their calendar stays 90% empty only having 3 or 4 shows a month when all these other great venues are doing that many a week!
    You do realize they have multiple private events booked each month, right? They make money for the promoter. Not just concerts. But I get what you are saying.

Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
    You do realize they have multiple private events booked each month, right? They make money for the promoter. Not just concerts. But I get what you are saying.
    This is an oft repeated misconception. If you look at their calendar, they have only had one private event in the last 6 months.

A big booking month for them is 3 shows. Assuming 5 hours for each, that means even in a very good month, the Criterion is a big black hole 98% of the time. And as a reminder, they received public tax money to help build that place even though there is nearly identical venue almost next door, which required zero public assistance.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    If you look at their calendar, they have only had one private event in the last 6 months.
    While I agree with the point you were making, this is not true. The McGuinness auction was February 2nd and Boots and Ballgowns was February 3rd and I suspect both were money makers for the venue. That said, I totally agree the space is criminally underutilized.

EDIT: I understand you were referring to private events shown on their calendar. My point is only that I know they have had at least a few more private events that are not publicly advertised on their calendar - I would be curious to know how many to see how big of a portion of the Criterion's business this is. Given the lack of concerts - it must be a decent sized chunk.

Blog Entries

I've suspected of late that what's on the public calendar is not the full picture of what is going on in that venue (Criterion).

Okay, so on a good month they maybe get two private events at the Criterion. There are certainly some months (maybe even most) where they don't book any. I guarantee you they are not making money there given the cost to build that place and the monthly debt service.

Frankly, it's just a matter of time before the Criterion goes out of business and then hopefully another operator can come in and actually book some shows.

And BTW, Levelland (operators of the Criterion) is in the process of being evicted from their venue in Stillwater and were pretty much kicked out of the Wormy Dog space which is now home to the Dollhouse.

They were also booted out of operating the Tower Theater and Savings & Loan despite the BS "mutual parting" propaganda printed by the Oklahoman.

Blog Entries

Don't mean to imply they are somehow successful or secure in their future, was just saying I've been surprised to see it in use at times when I didn't think there was anything going on. I agree there will eventually be another operator and that when that happens it will finally be the venue we deserve.

Don't mean to imply they are somehow successful or secure in their future, was just saying I've been surprised to see it in use at times when I didn't think there was anything going on. I agree there will eventually be another operator and that when that happens it will finally be the venue we deserve.
    Sorry, wasn't addressing anyone in particular or trying to be argumentative.

It's just that this whole issue is a hot button, mainly because the misguided desire to not say anything bad has led to this company screwing lots of people out of lots of money and it looks like we will be adding the City of OKC to that list.

And I'm not saying it is the case with Levelland, but there are plenty who take advantage of the fact that the press and business community seem more concerned with being 'nice' and trying to save face than actually telling the truth. Many, many examples and it's really bad for the community.

Moved several posts on TIF here:

http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=39599

Idk whats going on with levelland, but this is one of the best live music venues in the city and its criminally underutilized. Maybe they are having more private events than shows, and maybe I'm biased being a music fan, but this just seems like such a waste of an amazing venue imho. Like Pete said, levelland has been struggling the last few years with all their closed venues not to mention the now debunked rawhide music festival, all this raises questions of their ability to run a venue of this scale.

To bring in live music, the promoter has to front a lot of the costs.

Levelland does not have the money to do this, hence very few shows.

I am getting confused. Are the lasts several posts about the Criterion or about Tower Theater?

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    I am getting confused. Are the lasts several posts about the Criterion or about Tower Theater?
    My comments are about the Criterion.

But remember Levelland had the same sort of agreement with the Tower for a year or so and booked virtually nothing. The current group is doing a fantastic job of keeping the Tower humming with live music, events and movies.

Meanwhile, the Criterion sits there like a big black hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    My comments are about the Criterion.

But remember Levelland had the same sort of agreement with the Tower for a year or so and booked virtually nothing. The current group is doing a fantastic job of keeping the Tower humming with live music, events and movies.

Meanwhile, the Criterion sits there like a big black hole.
    Indulge me with the shameless opportunity to pat myself on the back for predicting this years ago, when the parties involved in the Criterion were announced. Yes, venues are important. Quality promoters are more important. We don't have great promoters in OKC, and no, DCF is not a great promote, they are a marginally good promoter. We won't have a great concert scene here until we do.

Special event helps uncork Uptown 23rd District growth

By: Molly M. Fleming The Journal Record March 6, 2018

OKLAHOMA CITY – In 2013, the Uptown 23rd District Association wanted people to see the few restaurants that were in the area, so Uptown Uncorked was born.

“We had a handful of restaurants,” said Matt Ralls, who serves on the association’s board of directors. “We even toyed with the idea of having a $23 ticket just so we could get people there.”

Ralls said he thinks the first Uptown Uncorked served more as a marketing event rather than a food-tasting. He said it showed people there was something happening on NW 23rd Street, and they could get involved with a growing district at the beginning.

This year, the event on March 29 will feature 12 eateries and is being held in the district at the Tower Theatre. Restaurants providing food include HunnyBunny Biscuit Co., Cuppies and Joe, Chick N Beer, Guyutes, and Cheevers.

The past few years, it was held at the Oklahoma History Center. The first Uncorked was at the Gold Dome.

Restaurant developer Chris Lower said it’s been the association’s dream to have the event at the theater, even before it was redeveloped.

Lower’s been involved in the district for several years. Eight years ago, he opened Big Truck Tacos with chefs Kathryn Mathis and Cally Johnson. Mathis and Lower have since opened Pizzeria Gusto and Back Door Barbecue.

“It was hard to envision eight years ago that this area would become as popular as it has,” he said.

“We’re certainly glad to be one of the pioneers down here,” he said. “To say I pictured it would look like this: I really didn’t. It’s a nice surprise.”

With more restaurants participating, the ticket price has increased about $10 through the years. Association Director Amanda de la Torre said the association has focused this year on increasing the VIP-ticket value.

VIPs can get into the event an hour early and will get to party in the theater’s balcony. The old balcony can only hold 200 people, so VIP tickets are limited. This year, the tickets will come with high-end liquor pours, a tasting of the Okie Poke restaurant, which isn’t opened yet, gift bags, and wine and beer. Some of the wine and beer may be new to market. The alcohol is provided by Uptown 23rd business Byron’s Liquor Warehouse.

Money raised from the event goes to support the association’s work in the district. The fundraiser backs about 40 percent of the association’s total budget.

De la Torre said sponsors have backed all the event costs, so the ticket sales will go directly to improving Uptown 23rd, which spans from Broadway Avenue to Oklahoma City University.

The association would like to add way-finding signs to the area and more public art, she said. The buffalo mural and the bike racks were paid for by money raised from other Uncorked events.

Uptown 23rd is in the city’s Commercial District Revitalization Program.

General admission tickets are $50, though there is a 23 percent discount until Thursday. VIP tickets are $75.

Lower said he and Mathis are glad to see the restaurant growth and that he expects the event will help generate even more traffic.

“If they don’t know how vibrant [Uptown] is, they’ll get a sample of what’s available at Uncorked, and hopefully it will bring them back,” he said.

Book Of Love at Tower July 27th.. Just went to Dallas two weeks ago to see them at Granada. Fun show for us of a certain New Wave era.

Thread Information