Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Warren Theater North OKC

Default Re: Warren Theater North OKC

I don't understand what the financial incentive is for the studios to agree to the exclusivity deals. Doesn't a studio want their film on more screens so it has the possibility to sell more tickets?

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    I don't understand what the financial incentive is for the studios to agree to the exclusivity deals. Doesn't a studio want their film on more screens so it has the possibility to sell more tickets?
    They're pretty much forced into it. This goes back a while s. AMC theater alone has 10,000 screens world wide. Cinemark has about 5k. Regal has over 7000. So if you're a studio and you want wide release, and these 3 chains say they want clearance agreements, it's hard to say "no".

City Council just voted to approve this project despite hours of protest from nearby residents.

I honestly have a hard time feeling bad for people who are angry that their neighborhood inside the city limits is turning too much into a city.

Quote Originally Posted by d-usa View Post
    I honestly have a hard time feeling bad for people who are angry that their neighborhood inside the city limits is turning too much into a city.
    Yeah, it is very frustrating, especially since it seems to be the developments that will be unique and beneficial for OKC as a whole (like the Classen Curve expansion) that seem to get the most NIMBY opposition.

Good to hear it was approved though. I really like the Moore Warren but I dislike driving to Moore.

Yeah same here. I don't care what the zoning is. You can't expect single family to be built everywhere and their isn't a binding contract between you and the city that says the zoning that was in place when you bought the house will be there forever. Things change. That's why they're able to amend the zoning tracts into different uses.

Eh, this is a bit different. There is ZERO non residential in this area. All of the immediate housing is certainly NOT cheap right here. These people moved there specifically for the large plots of land and to be away from things. This is literally being put RIGHT INTO the center of that. While I wouldn't be upset, I can certainly understand why a good amount of immediate residents would be angry.

This isn't like the Paseo or Plaza where it can be expected to have new commercial developments coming in. This entire area is ALL residential. This is very similar to Wal-Mart vs. Fox Lake in Edmond. But this time it's a much cooler development than a Wal-Mart.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Yeah same here. I don't care what the zoning is. You can't expect single family to be built everywhere and their isn't a binding contract between you and the city that says the zoning that was in place when you bought the house will be there forever. Things change. That's why they're able to amend the zoning tracts into different uses.
    You might not care what the zoning is, but the 200 families that dropped $400,000 specifically for a house in this area sure do.

9. Default Re: Warren Theater North OKC

Quote Originally Posted by Colbafone View Post
    You might not care what the zoning is, but the 200 families that dropped $400,000 specifically for a house in this area sure do.
    But this area is right by a full exit/entrance on the Kilpatrick, therefore is highly accessible to hundreds of thousands of people. If you buy right by a highly accessible area in a growing metro area, expect it to be built out with commercial. That should be common sense.

Eh, this is a bit different. There is ZERO non residential in this area. All of the immediate housing is certainly NOT cheap right here. These people moved there specifically for the large plots of land and to be away from things. This is literally being put RIGHT INTO the center of that. While I wouldn't be upset, I can certainly understand why a good amount of immediate residents would be angry.

This isn't like the Paseo or Plaza where it can be expected to have new commercial developments coming in. This entire area is ALL residential. This is very similar to Wal-Mart vs. Fox Lake in Edmond. But this time it's a much cooler development than a Wal-Mart.
    I actually just moved to Fox lake and quite enjoy having all that right next door.

To clarify, almost all the protest came from people living in The Oaks, which is on the northwest corner of Eastern and the turnpike.

This is on the other side of the turnpike and the main objection was increased traffic.

Yeah, they took a gamble and it didn't pay off. However, they did build on the southern extent of Edmond Public schools and also have I-235, the Kirkpatrick, and I-35. They also choose to live close enough to get the benefit of city services. Probably shouldn't be a surprise that the city caught up to them.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Yeah, they took a gamble and it didn't pay off. However, they did build on the southern extent of Edmond Public schools and also have I-235, the Kirkpatrick, and I-35. They also choose to live close enough to get the benefit of city services. Probably shouldn't be a surprise that the city caught up to them.
    Oh I agree. If I lived right there is would be ecstatic this was coming. But I do understand where those who disagree with this are coming from.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    To clarify, almost all the protest came from people living in The Oaks, which is on the northwest corner of Eastern and the turnpike.

This is on the other side of the turnpike and the main objection was increased traffic.
    Compared to Western and Memorial where I live, I don't think traffic will be that bad. Especially if the city ends up linking 122nd to Eastern from I-235. It will be significantly be easier for me to go east on Memorial than west towards the mall.

What is your point? That the zoning should stay the same forever?

Listen, if you move within 30 miles of a major metro, you should expect this kind of stuff. Why would you live in the city and want the country life?

Listen, if you move within 30 miles of a major metro, you should expect this kind of stuff. Why would you live in the city and want the country life?
    Best of both worlds. Be close to city amenities with the quiet life of rural areas...

Oh I agree. If I lived right there is would be ecstatic this was coming. But I do understand where those who disagree with this are coming from.
    I do too, but that doesn't mean their points are validated.

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkasa View Post
    Best of both worlds. Be close to city amenities with the quiet life of rural areas...
    Yeah it must be nice. As Oklahoma City grows, a lot of people are going to get a serious wake up call. Even in Los Angeles there are very few parts of the city that are like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkasa View Post
    If people want the rural life, they shouldn't life inside of the city limits of a major metropolitan city.

If people want the rural life, they shouldn't life inside of the city limits of a major metropolitan city.
    There are places to do that and still get the best of both worlds: Piedmont, El Reno, Choctaw, and large parts of Deer Creek.

This area where Warren Theater is going is only separated from the rest of the city by three major highways and only stayed undeveloped due to unique circumstances.

Listen, if you move within 30 miles of a major metro, you should expect this kind of stuff.
    +1^

Also, on top of being in a major city, they bought in a subdivision less than a mile from the intersection of two major highways. I find it hard to feel sorry for them over increased traffic and relatively upscale commercial development

And again, this is on the other side of the turnpike. Very few homes in the immediate area.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    There are places to do that and still get the best of both worlds: Piedmont, El Reno, Choctaw, and large parts of Deer Creek.

This area where Warren Theater is going is only separated from the rest of the city by three major highways and only stayed undeveloped due to unique circumstances.
    Very true.

I get that Oklahoma City is huge, and that there are large parts that are pretty much just country living. I used to work for EMSA many years ago, and I really didn't appreciate just how large the city is until those days. It's still somewhat weird for me to think that I am driving down the Turnpike from Tulsa and feel like I'm in the middle of nowhere, drive past the random "Oklahoma City Limits" sign and enter the actual city even though it's still just "country".

But people also make a choice to live inside Oklahoma City proper, get the benefits of city living by being inside those city limits and get city services such as a nice Fire Department rating (which just improved I think?) to help keep their homeowners insurance low, a competent EMS service, water and trash service. But when the non-rural aspects of being part of a major metropolitan city creeps to close to their homes, they get mad that there are consequences to living inside that city.

To be fair, those kind of people are everywhere and it's not limited to the rural population of the city. NIMBYers are the bane of development in general.

25. Default Re: Warren Theater North OKC

I wonder how many in the area who protested this are going to go see movies there. My guess is a lot.

Thread Information