Widgets Magazine

Thread: Bricktown Events Center

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Bricktown Events Center

I'd like to see the Opolis guys get into doing some bigger shows in the city. Everyone complains that bands bypass OKC, but that's really more bands of a certain size. The Opolis brings in a lot of very cool bands, but they're often of the "you haven't heard of them, YET" variety. DCF brings better known bands to Cain's and the Diamond, but, honestly, the Opolis is really a better source to discover new music.

But I do think this could be a good room and these improvements are definitively a step towards putting it on par with other venues on the large ballroom circuit. It's already bigger than cain's, and these additions should put it right in the sweet spot between cain's and the Brady. It just needs acoustic and amenity improvements, and this seems to be a step towards that. It really is a great size and location. If it gets paired with good promoters (other than DCF), it could be a premier venue.

2. Default Re: Bricktown Events Center

Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post
    I'd like to see the Opolis guys get into doing some bigger shows in the city. Everyone complains that bands bypass OKC, but that's really more bands of a certain size. The Opolis brings in a lot of very cool bands, but they're often of the "you haven't heard of them, YET" variety. DCF brings better known bands to Cain's and the Diamond, but, honestly, the Opolis is really a better source to discover new music...
    I've tried to get the Bricktown Music Hall guys together with Andy and Marian - and I think there is a willingness on both ends - but they just haven't made a connection yet. I agree that Opolis routinely brings the best indie shows to the metro by far (owing to the Nunez' connections in the industry) and they often get shows that really have no business being in that tiny room, which of course just makes it that much cooler.

But I do think they could put some of those "larger than should be in the Opolis" shows into a bigger room (which they do from time to time at places like the union at OU). So I would love to see them start booking a few in OKC (which they have done in the past).

Brent (owner of the Chevy Bricktown Event Center) also has a good relationship with The Opolis folks so I think you could also see them putting some show into that reconfigured room in the future, though I don't know how much appetite they have for "big" shows and the risk that comes along with them.

Default Re: Bricktown Events Center

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    I've tried to get the Bricktown Music Hall guys together with Andy and Marian - and I think there is a willingness on both ends - but they just haven't made a connection yet. I agree that Opolis routinely brings the best indie shows to the metro by far (owing to the Nunez' connections in the industry) and they often get shows that really have no business being in that tiny room, which of course just makes it that much cooler.

But I do think they could put some of those "larger than should be in the Opolis" shows into a bigger room (which they do from time to time at places like the union at OU). So I would love to see them start booking a few in OKC (which they have done in the past).

Brent (owner of the Chevy Bricktown Event Center) also has a good relationship with The Opolis folks so I think you could also see them putting some show into that reconfigured room in the future, though I don't know how much appetite they have for "big" shows and the risk that comes along with them.
    That's good to hear. I'd love to see some of those Opolis shows downtown. You're right, though, bigger shows equal bigger headaches, but I doubt BMH would be that tough. Of course, the BEC is a totally different animal.

Thread Information