Widgets Magazine
Page 433 of 455 FirstFirst ... 333383428429430431432433434435436437438 ... LastLast
Results 10,801 to 10,825 of 11357

Thread: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    I have a co worker that is 39 healthy Democratic and won't get the vaccine. Doesn't believe in it and has nothing to do with Trump. He just doesn't want to put it into his body. He watches what he eats and puts into his body very closely.
    I have a friend like that. She is very liberal politically but is loosely aligned with the "everything natural" and mildly anti-vax. Ironically, she drinks alcohol. I know others who "watch what they put in their body" and smoke. It's kinda funny.

Ultimately she decided to get the vaccine because she was embarrassed to be associated with the idiots who are currently opposed to the Covid vaccine. She also was concerned with the Delta variant. The whole exercise has softened her opposition to vaccination in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    In my opinion, no company should require employees to get covid vaccinations until it's fully approved by the FDA.

I'll admit though, with all the crazy stuff against taking the covid vaccines going on the Internet, I would probably be too afraid to get one if I was under age 40 or 50. But like I said before, if younger, I would, no doubt, feel myself frustratingly lodged between a rock and hard place. It's also like back when I got the covid vaccine during both times I asked myself if these vaccines are so safe, why do I have to wait 15 minutes before leaving? I didn't have to do that for the flu vaccine. Anyway, I sure hope next summer is a lot better and things are ever more back to normal.
    Bunty, a small percentage of people are allergic to vaccines and can go into anaphylactic shock. Doing so is not a death sentence as people can be administered epinephrine in the case that they react allergically. Because it sets in so quickly, 15 minutes is long enough to determine whether someone is reacting badly to the shot.

I asked myself if these vaccines are so safe, why do I have to wait 15 minutes before leaving?
    Possible allergic reactions. This can happen with anything, really, and it has happened with COVID shots a lot lower rate than many, many drugs and treatments that are safe and widely used. In fact, people have similar reactions to food, but no one knows that until they come in contact with it.

Basically, as far as these reactions go, the shots are as safe as lemons.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    I have a friend like that. She is very liberal politically but is loosely aligned with the "everything natural" and mildly anti-vax. Ironically, she drinks alcohol. I know others who "watch what they put in their body" and smoke. It's kinda funny.

Ultimately she decided to get the vaccine because she was embarrassed to be associated with the idiots who are currently opposed to the Covid vaccine. She also was concerned with the Delta variant. The whole exercise has softened her opposition to vaccination in general.
    When you look at the numbers it's the under 45 crowd that is really getting it now. The first and second wave didn't hit this age group as hard. Also and I could be wrong on this but I think most people over the age 55 are fully vaccinated. I think there is a big group of the I'm healthy if I get it nothing will happen to me group out there. How do you reach those people is the question?

Yeah, it's funny. I have heard the "it ain't natural" take on not getting the vaccine and every time I'm thinking "ok, but I have a lot of follow up questions about what you eat and drink." Ha.

Get ready for today's case numbers. Wow. Scary.

2,342 new cases today. Last several Thursdays: 1,806; 1,581; 705; 456; 329; 273; 209; 122; 115.

7-day average 1,832.

Hospitalizations are 954 (+74). Low was 106 on 6/13.

ICU is 274 (+15). Low was 30 on 6/29.

I'll admit though, with all the crazy stuff against taking the covid vaccines going on the Internet,
    If it's crazy stuff on the internet giving you pause, why are you taking it into account at all? Folks are outright lying on social media platforms. You can go to the CDC page and review all of the studies showing what kinds of adverse reactions people have had--and it's a very small number. I'd bet that you take as much risk getting behind the wheel and driving to the vaccine site as you do with experiencing a serious side effect from the vaccine.

40 pediatric hospitalizations today!

I've been hearing more companies are going back to mask mandates regardless of vaccination status.

Dell was originally scheduled to return to site (albeit as a more hybrid model) on 9/7, but they've pushed that back indefinitely so everybody continues to work from home.

In my opinion, no company should require employees to get covid vaccinations until it's fully approved by the FDA.

I'll admit though, with all the crazy stuff against taking the covid vaccines going on the Internet, I would probably be too afraid to get one if I was under age 40 or 50. But like I said before, if younger, I would, no doubt, feel myself frustratingly lodged between a rock and hard place. It's also like back when I got the covid vaccine during both times I asked myself if these vaccines are so safe, why do I have to wait 15 minutes before leaving? I didn't have to do that for the flu vaccine. Anyway, I sure hope next summer is a lot better and things are ever more back to normal.
    Yes you did, or at the very least you were supposed to. If you regularly get flu shots where they immediately send you out the door, someone somewhere is screwing up how they administer them.

I'm guessing they have the wait built into their procedures and you just haven't been noticing it.

First, the FDA is the one saying to get the vaccines with the emergency authorization. They already signed off on the safety of these vaccines after extensive trials that has been followed by overwhelming evidence of the vaccine's efficacy by HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF PEOPLE. How does full approval change anything? We already have plenty of data. This is 100% an anti-vax excuse. Second, asking people to wait 15 minutes is a precaution in the event of an immediate allergic reaction. There's nothing suspect here. Third, young people now make up a large portion of hospitalizations.

Your post is right out of the anti-vax-sow-doubt playbook. Do better.

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    If it's crazy stuff on the internet giving you pause, why are you taking it into account at all? Folks are outright lying on social media platforms. You can go to the CDC page and review all of the studies showing what kinds of adverse reactions people have had--and it's a very small number. I'd bet that you take as much risk getting behind the wheel and driving to the vaccine site as you do with experiencing a serious side effect from the vaccine.
    ^^^

I’m on Twitter arguing with a nurse who thinks her natural immunity is enough and I’m a science denier for using cited sources to show the opposite. Why on earth does this country allow people in the medical field to be licensed when they are blatantly in the open with their anti science views? I don’t understand that. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I’m on Twitter arguing with a nurse who thinks her natural immunity is enough and I’m a science denier for using cited sources to show the opposite. Why on earth does this country allow people in the medical field to be licensed when they are blatantly in the open with their anti science views? I don’t understand that. . .
    I'll add that no one should be able to work at a retirement home without vaccination. It's unbelievably cruel that our country has allowed this to take place.

But, yeah, right behind that, should you be in the medical field if you don't have an understanding of vaccines? One person I know won't get vaccinated because his family received anti-vax conspiracy theories from a doctor and nurses they knew. To me, that violates the do no harm oath and really should be disqualifying.

16. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Quote Originally Posted by OkiePoke View Post
    I've been hearing more companies are going back to mask mandates regardless of vaccination status.
    The whole dept of the fed govt that I work for went to masks no matter what on the 28th. And I've gotten a couple really testy emails about outside vendors being seen maskless. Thang goodness they weren't people I was responsible for.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    First, the FDA is the one saying to get the vaccines with the emergency authorization. They already signed off on the safety of these vaccines after extensive trials that has been followed by overwhelming evidence of the vaccine's efficacy by HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF PEOPLE. How does full approval change anything? We already have plenty of data. This is 100% an anti-vax excuse. Second, asking people to wait 15 minutes is a precaution in the event of an immediate allergic reaction. There's nothing suspect here. Third, young people now make up a large portion of hospitalizations.

Your post is right out of the anti-vax-sow-doubt playbook. Do better.

^^^
    I already did better. I got vaccinated in April. I hope now all the people who are too afraid to get vaccinated will be personally responsible enough to take charge of their health by wearing masks when around people and avoid large indoor crowds. But it's seems too many of the people who won't get vaccinated are also opposed to doing that. It's a bad time not to be careful and get seriously sick, since there is a nursing shortage worse than before.

The anti-vaxxers are getting behind what Robert Malone says against the mRNA vaccines, since he was supposedly the sole discoverer or inventor of them. But it seems he did not play a major role in advancing them and now has sour grapes. They were the work of many.

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    As you should know every controversial story has a second side. But as I expressed before, I do hope people putting out false or misleading stuff about the vaccines can later be subject to civil lawsuits. Exercising freedom of speech that leads to the deaths of thousands should NOT be free of serious consequences.

Blog Entries

I love the fact that those that are waiting for the formal full approval as an excuse are the same ones who demand that we reduce regulations that they think delay perfectly good drugs used elsewhere. Just political posturing, not good health policy.

As you should know every controversial story has a second side.
    Not every story does.

Is global climate change caused by man's activity happening? Yes. There is no second side.

Is the Earth a spheroid or is it flat? There is no other side.

That's one of the problems I have about how a lot of shows try to entertain with a discussion on a subject. Entertaining both viewpoints makes them appear equal when they are not.

2,303 new cases reported today. Last several Fridays: 1,777; 1,194; 750; 551; 303; 224; 181.

7-day average now 1,907.

Hospitalizations are 965 (+11).

ICU is 279 (+5).

For the week...

13,348 new cases. Last several weeks: 9,459; 6,569; 3,925; 1,648; 1,270; 1,151; 1,141; 842; 775.

Hospitalizations +275; last several weeks: 195, 172, 115, 69, 9, -3.

ICU +64; last several weeks: 56, 48, 45, 25, 4, -11.

I already did better. I got vaccinated in April.
    I am glad you're vaccinated. But even in this response you again are spreading health misinformation. Repeating health conspiracy theories—even if you don't agree with them—is still spreading misinformation. The Streisand Effect is when you don't want something to get attention, but then it does because you bring that thing up. That's what I meant by "do better." Don't repeat conspiracy theories online because then you are introducing them to people. You're amplifying that message.

As you should know every controversial story has a second side. But as I expressed before, I do hope people putting out false or misleading stuff about the vaccines can later be subject to civil lawsuits. Exercising freedom of speech that leads to the deaths of thousands should NOT be free of serious consequences.
    To this point, I wish we could hold major social media platforms accountable. Facebook knows that a small number of people are spreading most COVID conspiracy theories and haven't done enough to stop it.

40 pediatric hospitalizations today!
    I know an pediatric nurse. She says they have very few covid patients. Most of them are RSV. While the number is concerning, very few of those are covid related.

Also, just took my son to the pediatrician for a covid test. Said they have had fewer than 10 positive tests over the past month.

Following up from my previous posts, that nurse also mentioned that their lack of available beds is related to a lack nurses. This is an issue in the pediatric ward as well as the regular ICU. She said people are throwing their hands up and walking off the job. I can’t say I blame them honestly.

Thread Information