Widgets Magazine

Thread: Oklahoma lawmaker inviting Remington to move to OKC

Default Oklahoma lawmaker inviting Remington to move to OKC

I read yesterday in the news that an Oklahoma lawmaker is inviting Remington gun manufacturer to move to OKC because of our business climate and friendliness towards guns after New York is getting unfriendly with gun makers. Could be another way for OKC to diversify our economy by inviting firearms companies located in hostile states.

http://kfor.com/2013/01/24/lawmaker-...-sooner-state/

Default Re: Oklahoma lawmaker inviting Remington to move to OKC

Not much in that article that would indicate we're NOT on their radar. Sounds like typical political pandering from the local town Mayor to me, what's he gonna say, "We support our town's largest employer leaving?"

Of importance from the article:

"If I'm an executive at Remington, what's my attitude going to be toward the state that bans one of the premier products that I produce?" local Assemblyman Marc Butler asked.

Read more here: ILION, N.Y.: NY town defends Remington factory amid new gun ban | Nation | Macon.com

and nothing to indicate that we are ..

How do you think the CEO of an international company, which by the way isn't HQ'd in New York, they just manufacture there, handles an unsolicited letter from an Oklahoman lawmaker (a creature of particularly ill repute) asking him to spend millions of dollars to relocate to a state which quite probably doesn't have the skilled workforce a gun manufacturer would likely require?

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    How do you think the CEO of an international company, which by the way isn't HQ'd in New York, they just manufacture there, handles an unsolicited letter from an Oklahoman lawmaker (a creature of particularly ill repute) asking him to spend millions of dollars to relocate to a state which quite probably doesn't have the skilled workforce a gun manufacturer would likely require?
    I see your point about an unsolicited letter, etc., but why do you say that Oklahoma doesn't have a skilled workforce?

Quote Originally Posted by Dubya61 View Post
    I see your point about an unsolicited letter, etc., but why do you say that Oklahoma doesn't have a skilled workforce?
    Because we are one of the most uneducated and unhealthiest states..?

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Because we are one of the most uneducated and unhealthiest states..?
    That's where I was headed.

Education and health statistics don't necessarily correlate to an unskilled workforce.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubya61 View Post
    Education and health statistics don't necessarily correlate to an unskilled workforce.
    At any rate, an unsolicited letter from a state legislator is probably not going to draw much of a response. This is more about a legislator self-promoting than anything else. You don't think these companies receive unsolicited marketing materials from various chambers of commerce on a fairly regular basis?

Oklahoma has more than enough people with the most important skills that it would take to build fire arms. Many of these people are considered highly skilled and make well above average wages for Oklahoma. The problem for a company like Remington is that they are already employed and extremely busy.

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    At any rate, an unsolicited letter from a state legislator is probably not going to draw much of a response. This is more about a legislator self-promoting than anything else. You don't think these companies receive unsolicited marketing materials from various chambers of commerce on a fairly regular basis?
    Remington probably got 40 letters from across the country the same day.

Thread Information