Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Bricktown Events Center

Default Re: Bricktown Events Center

... any word on the the "type" of entertainment facility that will be placed in the south parking lot ?

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    An update by Steve with depictions of what the renovated space will look like.

http://www.oklahoman.com/article/4569156?embargo=1
    Mobile link: Chevy Bricktown Events Center to undergo renovation aimed at attracting performers | NewsOK.com

The elevated seating and balcony are in line with what you see in many tier one mid size venues these days. It also seems to have a nice modern design aesthetic. If this update includes some sound treatments, it will be the best venue in Oklahoma City for sure. The renderings look like they include some curtain treatments and maybe some new ceiling treatments that will help control the room. This looks very promising to me.

I think it kind of mitigates the Tower Theater and Uptown venue issues, too. If this is as good as it looks, then I think the Tower should definitely focus on an Alamo Ale House type venue.

The Chevy Events Center has a ring to it that I'm sure the Farmers Market and Tower Theatre can't match

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    The Power and Light district hasn't exactly been an unqualified success. A success yes, but with some associated problems.
    I hope you don't mean the Cordish dress code; I'm embarrassed to even be associated w urbanists who attack a decency dress code.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    The Chevy Events Center has a ring to it that I'm sure the Farmers Market and Tower Theatre can't match
    Yeah, name sucks, but if it weren't for the naming rights, the venue would continue to suck as well. I'll just call it the BEC and make up a rap song about it.

Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post
    Mobile link: Chevy Bricktown Events Center to undergo renovation aimed at attracting performers | NewsOK.com

I think it kind of mitigates the Tower Theater and Uptown venue issues, too. If this is as good as it looks, then I think the Tower should definitely focus on an Alamo Ale House type venue.
    That or a cinema with an indie focus a-la Circle Cinema.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    That or a cinema with an indie focus a-la Circle Cinema.
    I'd be fine with that, but we do sort of have OKCMOA for some of that. I like their program, but the times aren't always convenient. And we do have the Paramount, too. Different experience, but you can drink and it's a cool setting.

Like I tell my son, maybe we just need to play with the toys we have more than always asking for more. : )

They have started on this project (from https://twitter.com/BricktownOKC):

Blog Entries

At least we know they're serious

Are you sure they didn't book a tractor pull for today?

Looks like the first concert has been booked for this venue and it's a pretty big one (at least, to me): Slayer, Suicidal Tendencies and Exodus on November 17, 2014. Oh and as of now, that concert is not playing either the Cain's or the Brady in Tulsa in case anyone was wondering.

I am glad to see them making these changes and hope that it does usher in some more acts that we don't normally get. I am a huge concert geek and end up traveling to Dallas and Denver a lot to see shows. The blue bird and Ogden Theater in Denver get great acts and have a good setup and Dallas gets a lot of shows at Grananda Theater and Palladium.. a few of the acts that book there also end up at Cains so I can sometimes catch the shows in Tulsa instead but would be great to see them hit OKC instead since so many times those shows fall on weekdays.

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    Looks like the first concert has been booked for this venue and it's a pretty big one (at least, to me): Slayer, Suicidal Tendencies and Exodus on November 17, 2014. Oh and as of now, that concert is not playing either the Cain's or the Brady in Tulsa in case anyone was wondering.
    What? They're spending all this money to redo the place, just to have those dudes tear the place up!?

Just kidding. Should be an interesting test for the acoustics though. Heavy distortion in large rooms without treatments (like most arenas) can be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
    I am glad to see them making these changes and hope that it does usher in some more acts that we don't normally get. I am a huge concert geek and end up traveling to Dallas and Denver a lot to see shows. The blue bird and Ogden Theater in Denver get great acts and have a good setup and Dallas gets a lot of shows at Grananda Theater and Palladium.. a few of the acts that book there also end up at Cains so I can sometimes catch the shows in Tulsa instead but would be great to see them hit OKC instead since so many times those shows fall on weekdays.
    It will still fall on the shoulders of a good promoter. Having a good room to market helps, but if no one is making an active effort to book it regularly, it won't matter.

Blog Entries

I saw recently that there was a show scheduled for 11/17 so this thing has to be done by then, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    I saw recently that there was a show scheduled for 11/17 so this thing has to be done by then, eh?
    Yep. See my post on 6/23/2014:

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    Looks like the first concert has been booked for this venue and it's a pretty big one (at least, to me): Slayer, Suicidal Tendencies and Exodus on November 17, 2014...

Blog Entries

Doh! Sorry, got an email about that concert and too much time had passed since I read your post...

So, that Slayer show is in less than two weeks. Do we know how progress is coming along?

From their FB page; looks complete; they hosted a health fair Nov. 1.

Looks like they put down a wood floor; was just concrete previously.

This is kind of an odd question, but what happened to the Coca-Cola sign that used to be on the Bricktown events center? Is there any chance the sign could get put on display anywhere else? I really thought it was a cool sign and was way better than the current Chevy signage.

Blog Entries

Looks good, layout reminds me of the 9:30 Club in DC.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    From their FB page; looks complete; they hosted a health fair Nov. 1.

Looks like they put down a wood floor; was just concrete previously.

Much better.

And the covering of any concrete or steel will help a lot too.

So other than the Criterion being larger - is there really any difference in the layout of these? For some reason I thought one of these would be GA and the other would have seating.

Thread Information