Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grain Elevator

Bricktown3 Grain Elevator

Mark Ruffin, the owner/developer of the Rocktown climbing gym, has submitted plans to turn an adjacent property into a mixed-use project.

The historic building was once used as a grain silo but has been vacant for quite some time.

The plans show primarily office use with the possibility of adding a restaurant, while the entire parking area would be rebuilt and re-landscaped.

The concept proposed by local architects 3 Level Design aims to embrace the historic industrial architecture of the buildings.

The exterior concrete and brick would be cleaned and existing steel tubes will be cleaned and repaired and left as a reminder of the former building use.

Some small additions will be made feature galvanized steel and a rooftop terrace would be added on the lower roof, with a partial awning that would be marketed to restaurants.

This new project comes as the owners of the directly adjacent Producers Coop are set to sell their large property to a yet to be named buyer.

Default Re: Grain Elevator

This entire industrial plot has so much potential with the Boulevard finishing up in this area and projects like this one. I really would love to see the birth of an entirely new district full of residential, shopping, and food services. Basically if you could pick up the Chisolm Creek development and urbanize it here, it would be a dream.

While Mark Ruffin owns the silos, I suspect the owners of Rocktown Youth Mentoring and Rocktown Climbing Gym, the former operators of the silos, may take issue with the characterization that Mr. Ruffin is affiliated with Rocktown, which continues to do great things for the community in the Boathouse District after being booted out of the silos by Mr. Ruffin on very little notice.

That said, it will be great to see more activity in this part of downtown and hopefully the momentum will continue with the Producers Coop.

I really like they are keeping the steel pipes and other industrial elements.

I would hope whoever buys the Producer's Coop takes a similar approach, but I'm not optimistic.

HangryHippo Guest

Pete, any rumblings on who's going to get the Producer's Co-op? It's too bad we don't have a Chip and Joanna Gaines to take over this area like they've done in Waco.

I could see this whole area becoming something similar to the Pearl District in San Antonio! If you haven't been, I highly suggest it! Probably the nicest part of urban SA with direct access to the water taxi and amazing food. The centerpiece is the massive, old Pearl Brewery now surrounded by mixed use, boutique hotel and great restaurants. Really unique vibe.

Exactly what I was thinking. The Pearl is fantastic.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gman11695 View Post
    I could see this whole area becoming something similar to the Pearl District in San Antonio! If you haven't been, I highly suggest it! Probably the nicest part of urban SA with direct access to the water taxi and amazing food. The centerpiece is the massive, old Pearl Brewery now surrounded by mixed use, boutique hotel and great restaurants. Really unique vibe.
    I almost posted the exact same thing. That's funny. It's a nearly perfect analogy for what this coop could become.

So, who owns the railroad loop around that area? I notice in the diagram up above it is listed as BNSF Railway Company, will that complicate the redevelopment?

Given that it's simply an industrial spur with two customers who are both going to be closing up shop, I doubt that BNSF would object to abandoning the spur and removing their tracks there.

^

Right.

Very similar situation to what happened at Tinker / the old GM plant.

Does Tal still own any property around this area?

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    Does Tal still own any property around this area?
    If he did, I'm sure there'd be about 50 pro-se lawsuits pending.

Utility work, demolition, and preliminary construction has been going on for the past few weeks. Been meaning to snap a pic but I'm usually only there in the evenings these days. They've been working hard!

Quote Originally Posted by Ross MacLochness View Post
    Utility work, demolition, and preliminary construction has been going on for the past few weeks. Been meaning to snap a pic but I'm usually only there in the evenings these days. They've been working hard!
    Yes, on my list to photograph as well.

Easy to forget as it's somewhat off the beaten path.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Yes, on my list to photograph as well.

Easy to forget as it's somewhat off the beaten path.
    Yep. Pretty amazing to me that this project even exists in the first place. Should be cool! I'm looking forward to having a restaurant/bar within walking distance of the gym.

17. Default Re: Grain Elevator

^

Right.

Very similar situation to what happened at Tinker / the old GM plant.
    Unfortunately, with the Tinker line, they still use it right up to the new property line. Trains go back and forth on that damned line at 2 mph at sooner/sunnylane at all hours of the day, just like before. I dont think they actually remove anything on the Tinker land yet either. I guess there's really no reason to until there's a project that needs the land.

I was really hoping they would cut the line back at the N/S spur....no such luck. They've decided that the dual lines are too convenient for a parking lot.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    Unfortunately, with the Tinker line, they still use it right up to the new property line. Trains go back and forth on that damned line at 2 mph at sooner/sunnylane at all hours of the day, just like before. I dont think they actually remove anything on the Tinker land yet either. I guess there's really no reason to until there's a project that needs the land.

I was really hoping they would cut the line back at the N/S spur....no such luck. They've decided that the dual lines are too convenient for a parking lot.
    BNSF's GM Lead is a totally different animal. There are still several active customers along that line, including Quadgraphics, Prime Conduit, Mill Creek Lumber & Supply, Lumber 2, Southwest Electric, and BNSF's Oklahoma City Vehicle Facility. On the other hand, BNSF's Co-Op Lead only had two customers - Producer's Cooperative Oil Mill and Mid-States Wholesale Lumber - which are both closed now. Except for car storage, there's no remaining use for this loop of track. With some coaxing by the City and the new owners of the land, it should be easy to convince BNSF to legally abandon and remove the track.

As for BNSF's GM Yard, the rail was cut at the property line and all track on property now owned by Tinker has been removed, per the most recent aerial photography from Google Maps.

Im sure it has been talked about before, but the rail layout downtown/bricktown/surrounding areas is really a huge impediment when daydreaming about development. The Co-Op area has a cutoff feel thanks to the elevated railway separating it from downtown along with the boulevard and I-40 forming other barriers. Then the triangular land directly south of there on the other side of I-40 is halfway surrounded by rail, with no great way to bridge, then the rest is blocked off by the river. This is really burdensome for future development if we want something there other than the junkyard.

The boulevard will be far less of a barrier in the future.

For now, it's just a straight-through run but they'll but in cross streets with new development and the property along the south of the blvd will be developed and that will help create a bridge to the coop area.

As for the elevated railway, you could make that same argument for Bricktown which obviously hasn't been too impeded.

That coop area will change so dramatically it's hard to judge it by what is there now.

The boulevard will be far less of a barrier in the future.

For now, it's just a straight-through run but they'll but in cross streets with new development and the property along the south of the blvd will be developed and that will help create a bridge to the coop area.

As for the elevated railway, you could make that same argument for Bricktown which obviously hasn't been too impeded.

That coop area will change so dramatically it's hard to judge it by what is there now.
    Right, but with bricktown there are several entry points... (I actually like the railway separating it from downtown). Some of these other areas though, between rail and other barriers, they seem very cut off or hard to access.

In my daydream world, if we could somehow reroute the North/South elevated railway, I would love to see the elevated structure converted into a really long park and bike/pedestrian pathway, lined with trees and fountains and whatnot. It could run from N 7th all the way down to S 7th, providing a prime bike and pedestrian route from Automobile Alley to the Convention Center area and possible future stadium.

^

Actually, there are access points to the coop property at SW 4th & 7th; both have underpasses to and from the area.

And the boulevard gives direct access I-40, I-35, and I-240.

For that size of development, it's easy to image the boulevard providing several access points in the future.

From today:

Thread Information