Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Capitol Hill Library

Capitol Hill Capitol Hill Library

$4 million renovation and expansion of building constructed in 1951; currently under construction.

Default Re: Capitol Hill Library

So are we supposed to ignore the ugly main library and just focus on the pretty new addition?

3. Default Re: Capitol Hill Library

haha, I was thinking the same thing. Along with, man that is still going to be a small library and a not good use of the space on that block.

I really wish we would take libraries and community centers a bit more seriously in OKC, all should be urban, inviting, and large enough to serve the local community WELL and visitors. These community buildings all seem like 2nd afterthought - with the exception of downtown library *but i think even it should have been built bigger/taller and perhaps located closer to and fronting if not INSIDE the grounds of MGB.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    haha, I was thinking the same thing. Along with, man that is still going to be a small library and a not good use of the space on that block.

I really wish we would take libraries and community centers a bit more seriously in OKC, all should be urban, inviting, and large enough to serve the local community WELL and visitors. These community buildings all seem like 2nd afterthought - with the exception of downtown library *but i think even it should have been built bigger/taller and perhaps located closer to and fronting if not INSIDE the grounds of MGB.
    You do realize that they're completely renovating the entire structure, not just adding on to the existing building, right? Have you seen the other library projects that are happening and that were recently completed throughout the city and county? I can't speak for community centers, but trust me when I say that these library projects are not afterthoughts for those work and design them. The last library to be renovated was the Southern Oaks Library in 2012, and it was an impressive renovation. I expect no less for the Capitol Hill Library project; I'm actually expecting more.

Check out the system's newest library, Northwest Library up on 122nd and MacArthur: https://www.flickr.com/photos/metrol...57636054235985

Although not in OKC, Bethany is going to vote on a proposed new library in April. The current Bethany Library is just above 8,000 sq. ft. The new library will be 23,000+ sq. ft. Here are the renderings:

http://cityofbethany.org/wp-content/...cil-Packet.pdf

5. Default Re: Capitol Hill Library

ok, I may have to stand corrected; realize I am not local but a caring OKC expat in Seattle. I'm basing my thoughts on the plans shown online and not my being there.

I still think we can do better. I must say it would still be better if the new Capital Hill library fully fronted 25th Street to the building on the NE of the block, instead of the 'extension' stopping mid block and there being parking separating the library and the NE building. We should build (or expand) to change the function of the building and not just 'add to' what is already suburban oriented; I'm referring to not so much the 'new' or 'renovated' building size(s) as all that I've seen (aside from downtown) have had this smallish, expansion-like vision where the same building is just added to rather than creating a new building redesigned as a true urban destination (street fronting, parking and entrances in the back, perhaps additional uses for the new building) for the neighborhood they serve.

It's a pretty bare bones renovation. They used a little bit of CDBG for a new ADA entrance for example. I've been aware of this for a while. It's not anything like the new library west of Quail... where they don't really need it.

They need a $4-5 million dollar library here. It's heavily utilized by the community.

7. Default Re: Capitol Hill Library

my point, Spartan. seems underwhelming and missed opportunity for the inner city (and creation of Capital Hill as an urban district)

8. Default Re: Capitol Hill Library

It will be a welcome renovation - though its not getting the attention a library "in a different neighborhood" would receive. I go into this library from time to time. Every time I do it is bustling with individuals and families. I often have to share a table.

my point, Spartan. seems underwhelming and missed opportunity for the inner city (and creation of Capital Hill as an urban district)
    Not only are there opportunity costs from doing this poor of a job, but also apparently throwing Capitol Hill a bone is making Ward 5 and Ward 8 jealous and now they will need $62 million to make up for that. Capitol Hill gets none of that because it isn't its own ward. This is also after Ward 8 got new sidewalks everywhere as part of the GO Bond street widening in that area, while people in Capitol Hill traipse through lawns or get ran over in the street for lack of any sidewalks.

Aren't we glad that MAPS 4 Neighborhoods is going to equalize everything and make it fair for ALL of OKC?

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    It's a pretty bare bones renovation. They used a little bit of CDBG for a new ADA entrance for example. I've been aware of this for a while. It's not anything like the new library west of Quail... where they don't really need it.

They need a $4-5 million dollar library here. It's heavily utilized by the community.
    Don't need it? Before the Northwest Library opened, Oklahoma City's far NW side was not just underserved - but unserved. The closest libraries for the far NW side were Belle Isle at Northwest Expressway and Villa, Warr Acres at NW 63rd and Macarthur, or the Village Library between Britton and Hefner on North Penn. In other words, if you were west of Lake Hefner and North of Northwest Expressway, there was no public library at all. It is now one of the most-used libraries in the Metropolitan Library System. I don't understand why you have to find something wrong with everything done in this city.

Yeah, the Northwest library is second only to the Edmond library in circulations. Northwest was sorely needed.

12. Default Re: Capitol Hill Library

no doubt libraries are needed around the city and metro, this is something LONG been lacking in Oklahoma City. But, in speaking to the renovations in the inner city - these are poor jobs that could have been better to 1) create a LARGE environment where low and lower income ethnic minorities could come and enjoy resources catored to them in a 2) safe environment that 3) defines the neighbourhood with urban design and placemaking. Fronting 25th street just seemed easy to me, put the parking in the back but have a large format so people could study and/or SURF in peace and in view of the street - thereby encouraging MORE use of the facility.

I agree OKC vastly needs MORE libraries, but those who are being refurbished need better design because just adding SQ feet while retaining the tired old suburban uninviting design does nothing to define the inner city neighborhoods nor draw in more of the population base from the streets. IMO, OKC should be ashamed of the new CH library. ...

no doubt libraries are needed around the city and metro, this is something LONG been lacking in Oklahoma City. But, in speaking to the renovations in the inner city - these are poor jobs that could have been better to 1) create a LARGE environment where low and lower income ethnic minorities could come and enjoy resources catored to them in a 2) safe environment that 3) defines the neighbourhood with urban design and placemaking. Fronting 25th street just seemed easy to me, put the parking in the back but have a large format so people could study and/or SURF in peace and in view of the street - thereby encouraging MORE use of the facility.

I agree OKC vastly needs MORE libraries, but those who are being refurbished need better design because just adding SQ feet while retaining the tired old suburban uninviting design does nothing to define the inner city neighborhoods nor draw in more of the population base from the streets. IMO, OKC should be ashamed of the new CH library. ...
    Hot Rod, I can understand not liking the design, the parking, whatever, but really, "OKC should be ashamed of the new CH library?" That's harsh.

14. Default Re: Capitol Hill Library

Sorry that did sound harsh.

What I meant was I just think it's a missed opportunity that OKC should be ashamed of - not the expansion itself which IS good. Sorry for not clarifying guys. ..

According to the library intranet, groundbreaking is set to occur on August 3rd.

Not to get off subject, but the NW 122nd and MacArthur library is pretty bad in terms of design and construction. They set up steel pylons in the parking lot for pedestrians - about half are gone or broken. Their design inside has some slits in the wall (decorative) that now have to have permanent signs that read " this is not a book drop" (very attractive). Instead of putting the internet users in the middle of the room, why not make a second floor for them. There are only a few study rooms. Other than the downtown library, study rooms (i.e. quiet places in a library) are few and far-between. It seems like form wins over function with this type of building.

Couple of quick points:

The work on Capitol Hill is a renovation and not a complete rebuild because the way the bond was written. That apparently couldn't be changed.

To say "all OKC libraries need to be URBAN" doesn't highlight the myriad of library locations in the Metro System. While Downtown is very urban, many are suburban, and the Community Libraries serve some very rural locations. A diverse population deserves a diverse system.

One the whole, I think OKC is very supportive of their libraries. Bethany and Jones are getting new libraries! Capitol Hill is about to be under construction! Belle Isle is gearing up for a renovation in 2018! Please let the MLS director know how what changes you think are important.

Work is really getting moving on this project... They're opening up the eastern wall for the addition today.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20161009_151727.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	2.28 MB 
ID:	13141

Name:	IMG_20161009_151545.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	2.38 MB 
ID:	13142

Name:	IMG_20161009_151639.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	1.88 MB 
ID:	13143

Blog Entries

drove by this past weekend and it's down to the bones of the building

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Lots of good progress in the past few months. It's looking like it may open in September.

Grand Opening for the renovated library is slated for Thursday, October 5 at 3:00 PM.

Got to check the place out today. I thought they did a great job with the place. The library staff said they expanded from 9,000 sf to 17,000.

Name:	20171006_155340.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	4.14 MB 
ID:	14162

Name:	20171006_154320.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	3.42 MB 
ID:	14163

Thread Information