Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 15 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Villa Teresa

1. Midtown Villa Teresa

1300 Classen Dr

Information & Latest News

Villa Teresa Catholic School in Oklahoma City will close in July
    After almost eight decades, Villa Teresa Catholic School will close. In a letter to the students' parents, leaders of the Carmelite Sisters of St. Therese cite rising costs as the reason.
    Links

County Assessor Record
    Gallery

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	villateresa2.jpg 
Views:	425 
Size:	217.2 KB 
ID:	1528   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vt031014a.jpg 
Views:	1371 
Size:	112.1 KB 
ID:	6941   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vt031014b.jpg 
Views:	1375 
Size:	146.0 KB 
ID:	6942   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vt031014c.jpg 
Views:	1324 
Size:	179.9 KB 
ID:	6943   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vt031014e.jpg 
Views:	1305 
Size:	82.3 KB 
ID:	6945   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vt031014f.jpg 
Views:	1286 
Size:	77.8 KB 
ID:	6946   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vt031014g.jpg 
Views:	1274 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	6947   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vt031014h.jpg 
Views:	1273 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	6948  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vt031014i.jpg 
Views:	975 
Size:	102.8 KB 
ID:	6953   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vt031014j.jpg 
Views:	311 
Size:	105.0 KB 
ID:	6954   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vt031014k.jpg 
Views:	965 
Size:	146.8 KB 
ID:	6955   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vt031014l.jpg 
Views:	942 
Size:	144.2 KB 
ID:	6956   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vt031014m.jpg 
Views:	964 
Size:	156.0 KB 
ID:	6957   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vt031014n.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	218.0 KB 
ID:	6958   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vt031014o.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	176.2 KB 
ID:	6959   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vt062314.jpg 
Views:	1173 
Size:	119.8 KB 
ID:	8290  

Last edited by Pete; 03-19-2012 at 02:04 PM.

Default Re: Villa Teresa to close in July!

Dont think I have ever heard of it...while I am not Catholic, one would think for something that has been around for almost 8 decades...in any case, sorry for those that do know and have sent their kids there.

3. Default Re: Villa Teresa to close in July!

I have relatives that sent their kids there and they really seemed to value the education and values received.

That's really awful. I was hoping to use them for childcare eventually as my office is right across the street.

Perhaps these guys can be called up for a real-life "mission from God" to save the school?

This is sad news indeed. I have fond memories of the school especially the beautiful grounds/pool.

if i'm not mistaken, villa theresa has an old school on a large parcel of land for sale at sw 134th & western. i'm pretty sure it's been on the market for over a year. -M

mmm, you are absolutely right. VT closed that site at least a year ago, maybe two. Think they've been having increasing financial pressure for some time, and it just finally became too much...

http://newsok.com/villa-teresa-catho...rticle/3656384
    ...the Moore location has been closed for a year. The letter to parents cites rising costs such as health insurance and salaries, and major renovation and repairs needed for buildings as reasons for the closing. An aging population of nuns has meant fewer working outside the convent, earning income.

We too were planning to send our child there in a couple of years. I have known a few former students and teachers from there and all have fond memories. It will be a loss for sure.

I don't have any kind of personal history with that school, but I do think it's a major blow to Midtown. A lot of people still don't have unwavering optimism about the Oklahoma City public school system. This has been a good, vibrant neighborhood option for those families who have chosen to plant a stake in the urban core of OKC. Not to mention its history. Eight decades - an institution, to be sure. Sorry to see it go. While I'm not Catholic, I do know from my experience in St. Louis that healthy Catholic schools contribute immesurably to stemming the tide of urban flight. Sigh.

Hearing the news of closing last Friday absolutely made my heart sink such an awful thing to happen to such a horrible thing to happen to such a great school and loving caring staff who are like family my daughter attend pre k at villa Teresa and absolutely loves it. I pray that the building on school grounds do not get run down or vandalized after almost 8 decades it's trully historic

My son graduated from VT last year and my daughter will be part of the last graduating class this year. It's really sad as the school is great, it's a very good, loving, learning environment. While it is a Catholic school, I would guess at least half of the kids that go there are non-Catholic. I know many parents send their children there because it's convenient to downtown and their work. Lots of kids of St. Anthony employees go there.

Looks like speculation has already begun on future uses for that location.

http://newsok.com/villa-teresa-schoo...rticle/3657715

They might want to take the "now enrolling" banner down (in the article gallery pics). Interesting campus. Can easily see it being repurposed into something else and hopefully not bulldozed.

Default Re: Villa Teresa

Here's a map of their properties and an article by Steve discussing redevelopment possibilities:

http://newsok.com/villa-teresa-schoo...rticle/3657715

This is very sad and a big blow to MidTown. I wish someone with the means would step up and try to save it. Special place.

very sad, my nephew goes there

I don't think it's a big blow to Mid-town just because it is such prime real estate, BUT that said, I am sad to see the school go. The Villa Teresa School was a neighborhood anchor and it along with the churches backing up to it provided some neighborhood balance in my opinion. That's a lot of tradition to lose...

Spartan-I do hear you about the prime real estate. I'm sure the site can be redeveloped (although there's still a lot of vacant land around there waiting for a renewal). My contention that it's a blow to the area is in line with your neighborhood balance comment. A healthy neighborhood has to be more than restaurants and businesses. Again I'm not Catholic, but I do know that Catholic schools take Catholic students first and then "fill in" with others if they can't "fill up" with their parishioners. Fewer schools in Midtown will likely mean fewer options for those families that do try to stay in the area once children are of school age.

What I meant was that if the Catholic population is now funneled into fewer schools it will make it harder for non-Catholic families to enroll students. (if OKC is anything like STL). Then the options for those parents narrows to public schools or the more expensive private ones like Westminster (if they want to stay in the area).

Blog Entries

For all those that liked the aspect of the localized and affordable private school this is a blow. Public schools in OKC will not replace what is lost here. And one of the things that drives populations and development is the availability of good schooling...particularly at the lower grades. The rabid "ubanists" will be happy I suppose as this is a chance to lose low density and add some more apartments. Sigh.

Downtown middle school site?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Frustratedoptimist View Post
    Downtown middle school site?
    This might be an optimistic possibility....if the OKC school system knew how to run a quality school. Trading down is never good.

Who will be running the downtown elementary school?

25. Default Re: Villa Teresa

Quote Originally Posted by stlokc View Post
    What I meant was that if the Catholic population is now funneled into fewer schools it will make it harder for non-Catholic families to enroll students. (if OKC is anything like STL). Then the options for those parents narrows to public schools or the more expensive private ones like Westminster (if they want to stay in the area).
    You are right. In fact this has filled up most of the others. I have a kid at Villa Teresa. We found out on Friday night that they were closing. I got one of the last two Pre-K spots at John Carroll. They are now full with the exception of 5th grade. I am just glad that Villa Teresa is going to continue throughout the summer.

Thread Information