Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: SoSA District

Default Re: SoSA District Update

Hmm. Not sure what I think of that. Modern doesn't have to look depressing.

Quote Originally Posted by dwellsokc View Post
    New project up for approval on 7th Street... Cool. (Wish we could say the same for the one that shares its East property line.)
    http://www.freesosa.com/projects.html
    Encountering resistance?

3. Default Re: SoSA District Update

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Encountering resistance?
    I'm not aware of any resistance. Comments were made during the UDC meeting... something to the effect of: "...the style is not in keeping with what's happening in this district."

There are so many great comments on this thread. I am a long time reader of OKCTalk but seldom post anything. My wife and I are hoping to purchase a lot and build a new home in the next year in either the SOSA area or another one of central OKC's historic neighborhoods. We will obviously be quite limited as there are few undeveloped lots available. We both have a backgrounds in construction and architecture.

Does anyone know of a good resource (website, realtor, etc.) where I could see what lots are for sale in the SOSA area? I have driven around and called a few numbers, but I assume there are many more lots for sale in this area than meets the eye. Is it still possible to get a lot for $20-$30,000 here?

Thanks in advance for the help.

I think there are a couple of less expensive lots as you get closer to Classen. I looked once and there was one under $20,000 on 8th, I believe, a block or two from Classen.

6. Default Re: SoSA District Update

Quote Originally Posted by huskysooner View Post
    Does anyone know of a good resource (website, realtor, etc.) where I could see what lots are for sale in the SOSA area? I have driven around and called a few numbers, but I assume there are many more lots for sale in this area than meets the eye. Is it still possible to get a lot for $20-$30,000 here?
    The best tactic is to make a list of addresses you're interested in (empty lot or tear-down), look up the owner on the tax map (http://www.oklahomacounty.org/assess...Disclaimer.htm), then write letters to the owner expressing your desire to buy. Be persistent. It took us a couple of years of trying, but that's how we found our lot...

Thanks Dwells...

The strategy you just described was the only one I could logically think of. I'm glad you were able to have success with the letters.

The views from SOSA are priceless and we want to be a part of the momentum.

8. Default Re: SoSA District Update

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...9&l=b451b3ad2c
    Here are some pics from around the area in one of my FB albums. I didn't feel like loading them up onto photobucket

Thanks. Also I took a bunch tray I will post today or tomorrow.

There is a tear down house for sale in the 800 block of 7th street. Just went on the market today. Great views of downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by edcrunk View Post
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...9&l=b451b3ad2c
    Here are some pics from around the area in one of my FB albums. I didn't feel like loading them up onto photobucket
    Great pics.

12. Default Re: SoSA District Update

Thanks Spartan, been a long time, bro.

13. Default Re: SoSA District Update

Quote Originally Posted by ookkcc View Post
    There is a tear down house for sale in the 800 block of 7th street. Just went on the market today. Great views of downtown.
    http://www.centraloklahomaproperties...OKC&Id=1221013

$69,900.00

Thanks for the listings. Anyone know why 816 NW 8th St is $40K more than the other 2 lots? Potential views? One block closer to Midtown? Nearby comps? Drove through there today and boy is there so much potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Frustratedoptimist View Post
    Thanks for the listings. Anyone know why 816 NW 8th St is $40K more than the other 2 lots? Potential views? One block closer to Midtown? Nearby comps? Drove through there today and boy is there so much potential.
    I am only speculating... but I have seen it happen too often... When an area tries to encourage improvement and move forward SOME home owners and property owners get greedy and often times stunt or gridlock the growth by pricing their properties as if the entire area has already achieved the goals it has set.

It is as if they get in a time machine and go 5 years in the future assuming everything moves forward at an accelerated rate.

I realize the SoSA neighborhood has a great running head start to becoming a premier NW OKC neighborhood and "DEALS" will become harder and harder to find! But, I also realize that when driving the streets of SoSA you still can see couches on some of the front porches, deteriorating houses, and homeless folks on foot. Nichols Hills pricing per sq foot on vacant property is innapropriate!

Thats just my 2 cents.

16. Default Re: SoSA District Update

Quote Originally Posted by One Dot Less Than Nine View Post
    Current listings on MLS:816 NW 8th St
    http://www.centraloklahomaproperties...OKC&Id=1052062
    $60,000 for this lot is reasonable... get it while it's hot!

Really enjoy this forum. It helps me keep up with things in the neighborhood. I purchased a lot in 2004 at 619 NW 7th and had a home built. I worked downtown and used to joke that on a bad day my commute could be upwards of 3 minutes. I have since moved to KC MO to be nearer my parents but still own the home and have it leased. I plan on using it as a retirement home in the future. I am excited by the construction going on in SOSA. I believe there are still lots to be had. I paid 20k for mine and it had previously had a burnt-out duplex and the city had torn it down. Keep up the great momentum in SOSA!

18. Default Re: SoSA District Update

More details on this previously announced new build:

http://www.okc.gov/planning/planning...n/11-00025.pdf

Yet further proof that taste is highly subjective.

Quote Originally Posted by kdubinmo View Post
    Really enjoy this forum. It helps me keep up with things in the neighborhood. I purchased a lot in 2004 at 619 NW 7th and had a home built. I worked downtown and used to joke that on a bad day my commute could be upwards of 3 minutes. I have since moved to KC MO to be nearer my parents but still own the home and have it leased. I plan on using it as a retirement home in the future. I am excited by the construction going on in SOSA. I believe there are still lots to be had. I paid 20k for mine and it had previously had a burnt-out duplex and the city had torn it down. Keep up the great momentum in SOSA!
    Welcome to the forum!

Wow, by the time you retire you will be returning to a completely different city and neighborhood.

Wise investment on your part.

Quote Originally Posted by wsucougz View Post

Butzer is building another house right next to that one and it's even more stark:

21. Default Re: SoSA District Update

Quote Originally Posted by wsucougz View Post

Wow that is bad.

The Lynn house probably makes "Cottage District" proponents somewhat happy. I see it as a positive thing, the more good development, the better. SoSA is the place for architectural...uh...contrast.

23. Default Re: SoSA District Update

The design of the Lynn Residence sorta misses the boat (if that boat was intended to take advantage of that site's tremendous viewpoint). The choppy, and inefficient floor plan focuses on a skylight, and the enclosed backyard rather than one of SoSA's best skyline views... But, design freedom is what SoSA is all about. Welcome on board! (I'd be curious what the owner's directions to the designer were...?)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    Welcome to the forum!

Wow, by the time you retire you will be returning to a completely different city and neighborhood.

Wise investment on your part.
    Thanks
    It will be about 10 years so keep up the momentum. Should have a couple of NBA championships by then!!!!

Ken

Thread Information