Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma City's Newest Library...

Default Oklahoma City's Newest Library...

Yes! Oklahoma City's newest library, The Northwest Library, to be built on NW 122nd.

NewsOK

And what's one of the many things you can find at, or very near, all the libraries in the Metropolitan Library System? A Bus Stop!

Thank you Oklahoma City!

From a very grateful possum.
    Last edited by possumfritter; 03-27-2010 at 05:47 AM. Reason: updated

Default Re: Oklahoma City's Newest Library...

Interesting design, I would love to see more detailed renderings, by which to form more of an oppinion. First take is it looks nice, concerned about how well executed and relevant the derrek styled sklights are to the overall design but anyway... I will have to check and see if the architect has beter and more renderings available.

The architect does have better renderings and it really looks good my earlier misgivings have been satisfied, by the more clear imagery and how the landforms embrace the building and work as a cohesive whole. Sweet Building!

LWPB Architecture

Anybody know what BIM software LWPB uses?

A co-worker here in Austin has some friends who just moved to OKC and went to work there. I did some contract work for them back in 1994 or so when it was still Locke-Wright well before Pruitt or Brown went there.

Definitely like the Derrick skylights...thought that would have been the correct design for the ones out at the Airport in the Will Rogers statue/garden area (they are pyramid shaped and look sooooooo out of place).

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    Anybody know what BIM software LWPB uses?
    Based on www.lpb.com/BIM/BIM6/BIM6.htm I am going to guess 6?

Quote Originally Posted by flintysooner View Post
    Based on www.lpb.com/BIM/BIM6/BIM6.htm I am going to guess 6?
    There is no BIM6 software, I am guessing that is the 6th version of the BIM demo reel.

Does anyone know who the general contractor for the job is.

Quote Originally Posted by JIMBO View Post
    Does anyone know who the general contractor for the job is.
    Atlas Construction ... don't quote me on this, but I think they may be trying to get a camera out there much like the one at the Thunder Training Facility.

Thanks Hipster!

11. Default Re: Oklahoma City's Newest Library...

That's a pretty awesome design.

12. Default Re: Oklahoma City's Newest Library...

Definitely an interesting design. I wish OKC would go back and rebuild the other libraries around town. If you look at the MLS, there are very few in the system that don't look 50 years old or are just inadequate. You've got Downtown, MWC, and Edmond...then a bunch of terd buildings. It's a ver busy system that gets a lot of use, so one would think they would be interested in putting more into it.

I was recently at the Southern Oaks branch during a weekday to return a book....the place was packed! The lot was full and people were everywhere inside. I got the impression from the librarians that it was a normal day for them. That tells me that they need more space in the place. Conversly, you go to the MWC branch and it's a pretty good sized building that is nicely spread, so you don't feel confined or anything when there are lot of poeple in there.

Yes, but the cool thing about the 50 year old ones is that several of them are real mid-century modern looking which IMO is cool and timeless. Sure they could use some modern upgrades, etc. but some of the architecture is neat.

For those that were wondering where on NW 122nd the library is (like I was...the street is about 9 miles long) it is between MacArthur and Meridian (5600 NW 122): 5600 NW 122nd Oklahoma City - Google Maps

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    I was recently at the Southern Oaks branch during a weekday to return a book....the place was packed! The lot was full and people were everywhere inside. I got the impression from the librarians that it was a normal day for them. That tells me that they need more space in the place. Conversly, you go to the MWC branch and it's a pretty good sized building that is nicely spread, so you don't feel confined or anything when there are lot of poeple in there.
    Southern Oaks is very busy, particularly in computer usage. It is closing later this year for renovation. The Capitol Hill Library was also closed last week for some minor upgrades.

This picture of the Choctaw Library is taken from the worst possible angle of the building but I think the Choctaw library is pretty cool, especially on the inside. It's old location was damaged in the May 3rd tornados. It moved to its current location after it was constructed in 2004.

As far as some of the old libraries... I think Belle Isle could look cool with some modern touches/renovations.

Quote Originally Posted by jonno View Post
    As far as some of the old libraries... I think Belle Isle could look cool with some modern touches/renovations.
    Yes, Choctaw is pretty neat and I agree with you about the picture. I THINK that Belle Isle is eventually on the list to remodel down the road.

The coolest thing about Belle Isle is that it looks like the Millenium Falcon from overhead:

Quote Originally Posted by hipsterdoofus View Post
    The coolest thing about Belle Isle is that it looks like the Millenium Falcon from overhead:
    Ho-ly smokes! It really does! Would have never noticed that otherwise.

I have great memories of the Belle Isle and Warr Acres Libraries. And for all of the young poor stay at home moms out there they have great free programs for the kids during the summer. My kids and I were always at the library in the summer watching a play or musician etc. Plus they were always a part of the summer reading programs which had nice gifts when the kids completed the program.

Quote Originally Posted by hipsterdoofus View Post
    What a piece of junk!

The oil derrick reference, as a touch of Oklahoma is so weak, especially in NW OKC. Typical, hire an out of state design firm? to come up with that concept (LWPD, arch of record?). Just call them skylights, monitors, whatever.........surprised we don't have a reference to cowboys and indians.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    What a piece of junk!
    She'll make point five on the dewey decimal system past lightspeed. The Belle Isle library may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid.

"point five on the dewey decimal system past lightspeed"

Nice touch.

Hardware wars, sweet reference!

LOLZ on the SpaceBalls / Star Wars references. Never in my lifespan did I think I'd see such a comparison. Glad I wasn't drinking coffee when I came across those posts.

I agree with others, the Belle Isle library, at least, is a great example of some of the mid-century prairie architecture found in OKC. I may be biased as that was my home library growing up, and it was one of my favorite places to go.

Still great design. It could definitely use an re-touch, and perhaps even a bit of an expansion, as well.

Thread Information