Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: One of OKC's most overrated restaurants....

Default Re: One of OKC's most overrated restruants....

good point.
    maybe some folks are operating in a different quadrant of the time matrix restaurant--or even "restruant"--wise.

sorta makes me feel as if launching "the next big thing" restaurant concept:
    AsBurgers (for the really, really picky and particular diner)
    is doable.

nah . . . might as well pile up $250K and set fire to it.

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    I heard that Cajun King's catfish was good to a point nearly beyond description.
    In fact, I've heard it a lot of times. Unfortunately, some of us prefer grilled fish to fried fish simply on account of personal taste. Therefore, it is possible that their catfish was overrated.
    I had Cajun Kings again yesterday and as always it was all good, especially the catfish and their dipping sauce.

I have every intention of giving Cajun King a try (it's not that I can't stand breaded/battered and fried fish) and my expections are fairly high. I wonder if they have "blackened" fish . . . That really is my favorite. And I mean "authetically blackened" in a red hot skillet with a seared on, sliglhtly crisp layer of hot spices and seasoning covering a moist and tender piece of fish. It is almost an art to get this right even though it seems like it would be simple.

I guess my "point" is that the term "overrated" is so subjective.
    Perhaps the key is how much the place is hyped-up by advertising and word of mouth. You know, the promise of excellence with the delivery of over-priced mediocrity. And even those last two terms are pretty subjective.

I'm going to have to add Sage to is list. Whatever happened to the place? It is still there but I never see them open. They were all talk and little action and not that great of food. They tried to turn into a hip hop club at night last I saw. Anyone know what is the latest? You sure don't hear about this place anymore.

It reminds me of Cafe Nova, when good ole John P. Merrit aka The Bachelor said it was going to be the place to be in OKC in 5 years. Rolls eyes, yah that never panned out.

Sage is an ingredient. Not a restaurant.
    (Especially in Chicken Fried Steak Country. Although it might fly in Portlandia. =)

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    I'm going to have to add Sage to is list. Whatever happened to the place? It is still there but I never see them open. They were all talk and little action and not that great of food. They tried to turn into a hip hop club at night last I saw. Anyone know what is the latest? You sure don't hear about this place anymore.

It reminds me of Cafe Nova, when good ole John P. Merrit aka The Bachelor said it was going to be the place to be in OKC in 5 years. Rolls eyes, yah that never panned out.
    if by "hip hop club" you mean blues then you are correct

If by "BluesClub" you mean something along the lines of THIS place (not filmed at Tulagi's On The Hill) and back when The Artist used a Kalimba instead of a guitar and wore a fake grey beard . . . Well . . . OK then =).

I would go to THAT restruant with CERTAIN expectations and without reservations. =)

Especially if fish was on the menu. =)

MadMonk Guest

I have every intention of giving Cajun King a try (it's not that I can't stand breaded/battered and fried fish) and my expections are fairly high. I wonder if they have "blackened" fish . . . That really is my favorite. And I mean "authetically blackened" in a red hot skillet with a seared on, sliglhtly crisp layer of hot spices and seasoning covering a moist and tender piece of fish. It is almost an art to get this right even though it seems like it would be simple.

I guess my "point" is that the term "overrated" is so subjective.
    Perhaps the key is how much the place is hyped-up by advertising and word of mouth. You know, the promise of excellence with the delivery of over-priced mediocrity. And even those last two terms are pretty subjective.
    Catfish Cabin is at 63rd and Meridian, but I can't vouch for it as I haven't been there in years. The Piedmont Cuisine diner has some pretty decent fried catfish if you don't mind a little driving.

I think that the last time I drove by Catfish Cabin on 63rd and Meridian it was closed.
    That was at least a year ago.
    So I guess the non-Vouch is in order.

Piedmont . . . Geez . . . I dunno . . .
    I wonder if The Blue Door next to The College has considered widening their menu . . . =)

Trout Fishing in America would be a nice start-up . . . =)

Ted's is definately overrated but we go for lunch about once a month because we like the salsa and the service is great. Food is decent but does not remotely rate the crowds that place pulls in.

For Mexican food I prefer Tacos San Pedro on SW 44th, just West of Penn. Fantastic tacos & burritos and everything else is ok, not great.

For Italian, I haven't tried many places but we really like Roma's in Guthrie. It's owned by a couple of brothers from Italy and I think all the employees are family. I had my first Canoli there and it was love at first bite.

Quote Originally Posted by Questor View Post
    Oklahoma is lacking in the true Tex Mex department. It's funny when friends from Texas come up their opinion is the exact opposite of what I have read in this thread, they think that Ted's and Pablano are about the only places worth going to. I have to agree wih them, there are few options here that remind me of restaurants down there. So maybe when you guys are saying you don't like the place what you are really saying is you don't like that particular style of Mexican food. Personally I think that is why they are so popular -- there are very few Tex like options here, so everyone who wants that goes there.
    Not really about the type of food, just comparing what Ted's used to be vs. what they are now. Speaking as one who has eaten there since the very beginning, it's not worth it any longer. Original location has the tables closer together than they used to be, and that doesn't make for a more cozy atmosphere, it's just squished. Food quality has gone down over the years (spinach enchiladas used to be wonderful, now they're just OK, as one example), the price isn't worth it for the quality of the food. Certainly not worth waiting as long as you have to wait for. Service, however, is still good, and they do have habanero salsa (which you have to ask for) and they're one of the few that has it (correct me if I'm wrong, however - I'd love to find another place that has habanero salsa). Used to be really good, now just OK.

Not to nit-pick . . .
    Yet isn't the phrase "true Tex Mex" . . .
    an affrontal insult on Down Home Okie Fusine?

No. Probably it isn't.

Ted's is Ted's.
    Period.

Eischen's is Eischen's.
    Period.

Hopefully
    "Foodies [Express]"
    will someday fit into that same category.

(and the new, improved, re-opened former OKCountyLine BBQ except TexKrebsTalian =)

As a hobby cook I find this thread interesting to fascinating.
    Especially the many suggestions to cook what you like, how you like it, at home. =)

[Which brings to mind: Most overrated grocery stores: Whole Foods, Sunflower Market. Both of them are EXCELLENT, yet you can prepare a meal that is indisiguishable in terms of excellence with ingredients from Homeland or Buy For Less.]

That being said, I have to agree that Ted's--while very, very, good at least the times I've eaten there--is no Casa Perico (122nd and Penn location).

Suggested reading for all participants in The Dining Experience: Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain.
    Actually, all of Bourdain's books are worth reading. :-)

Just a small difference with you about grocery store ingredients - until Sunflower and Whole Foods came in (or shortly before), most fresh fruits and veggies at Crest on Santa Fe/15th in Edmond and Homeland (on MacArthur/Expwy and on 122nd/May) were pathetic. Not fresh, beat to hell, tasteless even when they looked decent, not enough varieties of things, etc. Whole Foods and Sunflower forced the other stores to up their game, but the other stores still haven't upped it enough IMO, sadly. :-( The fresh fruit and veggies at OKC's legacy grocery stores has gotten better, I will admit, but there's still room for improvement.

TheTravellers,
    Casa Perico used to prepare habanero salsa on request. I liked their method, they would bring a small black cast iron skillet (that it was prepared in) to your table. Don't hold me to it though, it's been a few years. The place I have been to recently (last month) that has it is on the Southwest corner of 39th Expessway and College in Bethany. I can't think of the name of it but that is the correct address. It's not a "Fine Dining" place, but was clean and neat. It's a new restaurant.
    C. T.

maybe he meant Pearl's Graveside...LOL

To be fair, I have never seen Ted's rated highly... Popular, yes, but that's not the same thing as high scores on Urban Spoon, Yelp or other rating systems.

I do understand whey so many people like it: Decent food, big quantities, reasonable prices and from my limited experience, really great service. They get those freshly made tortillas and queso to your table straight away and people love that. I give them credit for coming up with a concept that has been massively successful, especially when you consider the great number of Mexican restaurants. They are clearly doing lots of things right.

Also, when places get popular there is always backlash.

Go to any Mexican restaurant anywhere outside of the OKC and everything but chips-n-salsa is an extra, sometimes and a refill of chips is an extra. You want queso, that will be 5.00. Tortillas? add 2.00 for 4, a sopapilla? that will be 2.00 a piece. Most non-national chain places in OKC all include those items. If you think Ted's is expensive for what you get then you wouldn't want to go to a Chuy's or some other chain from out of town, it ends up costing you much more than what you would pay at Ted's for less. Chelino's was pretty good when they first opened, I think they (and Cocina De Mino) suffered from over expansion. My favorite for many years was Cafe Ole, the former El Chico at NW 58th & May area.

My wife likes Ted's, it reminds her of the food her mother made when she was growing up and we go there often when we are back in town. I do agree that it is not quite the same as it used to be but it is still consistent and the service is always exceptional, we also usually go around 11:30 AM on Sundays, so we have a minimal wait if any. It is one of the places that we frequent when we are back in town like Leo's and Cajun Kitchen (or whatever it name is now). The only other Ted's location that I had ever been to was the former Bellini's location on Danforth, but that was only a few times for the year that I lived in Edmond, I have been going to the original since it opened after Ted sold his recording studio and opened up the restaurant.

I always find the "popularity backlash" rather humorous, too many people get all wrapped up in not liking the "popular thing" and trying to find the next trendy thing...of course Austin is full of a bunch of those types. I have been to some of those places in Austin that people rave about, just because a place is a "local" doesn't mean that it is SOOOOOOO much better than XYZ chain. Some are, many are not.

Food opinions are so subjective, I rarely listen to anyones opinion about restaurants.

Brian - Lambert's BBQ?

18. Default Re: One of OKC's most overrated restruants....

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    I always find the "popularity backlash" rather humorous, too many people get all wrapped up in not liking the "popular thing" and trying to find the next trendy thing...of course Austin is full of a bunch of those types. I have been to some of those places in Austin that people rave about, just because a place is a "local" doesn't mean that it is SOOOOOOO much better than XYZ chain. Some are, many are not.
    I could not agree more. Whether it's food, entertainment, housing or whatever so many went to put it down unless it's the latest trend, or what they perceive to be the latest trend.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    Go to any Mexican restaurant anywhere outside of the OKC and everything but chips-n-salsa is an extra, sometimes and a refill of chips is an extra. You want queso, that will be 5.00. Tortillas? add 2.00 for 4, a sopapilla? that will be 2.00 a piece. Most non-national chain places in OKC all include those items. If you think Ted's is expensive for what you get then you wouldn't want to go to a Chuy's or some other chain from out of town, it ends up costing you much more than what you would pay at Ted's for less. Chelino's was pretty good when they first opened, I think they (and Cocina De Mino) suffered from over expansion. My favorite for many years was Cafe Ole, the former El Chico at NW 58th & May area.

My wife likes Ted's, it reminds her of the food her mother made when she was growing up and we go there often when we are back in town. I do agree that it is not quite the same as it used to be but it is still consistent and the service is always exceptional, we also usually go around 11:30 AM on Sundays, so we have a minimal wait if any. It is one of the places that we frequent when we are back in town like Leo's and Cajun Kitchen (or whatever it name is now). The only other Ted's location that I had ever been to was the former Bellini's location on Danforth, but that was only a few times for the year that I lived in Edmond, I have been going to the original since it opened after Ted sold his recording studio and opened up the restaurant.

Food opinions are so subjective, I rarely listen to anyones opinion about restaurants.

Brian - Lambert's BBQ?
    having been to chain and non chain mexican all over the USA i find your info on what you get to be incorrect

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    TheTravellers,
    Casa Perico used to prepare habanero salsa on request. I liked their method, they would bring a small black cast iron skillet (that it was prepared in) to your table. Don't hold me to it though, it's been a few years. The place I have been to recently (last month) that has it is on the Southwest corner of 39th Expessway and College in Bethany. I can't think of the name of it but that is the correct address. It's not a "Fine Dining" place, but was clean and neat. It's a new restaurant.
    C. T.
    Thanks for the info, we've been wanting to try Casa Perico (122nd/Penn). I have eaten at El Perico for lunch (63rd/Meridian or Portland) and had the "hot" salsa in the skillet, but it didn't seem like habanero salsa, just hotter (spice-wise) than regular salsa. Have to go with the wife to Casa Perico next time we do Mexican and try it there. And I'll definitely try the new place on 39th/College for lunch since that's fairly close to work, thanks.

The new place on 39th and College definitely used habaneros, you could see the orange bits and it certainly was warm. As for Casa Pericos, they could have used a different pepper, but it was not your average jalapeno. I enjoy jalapenos, but for a salsa with a really nice "bite" Habanero or scotch bonnet peppers are the way to go.
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Thanks for the info, we've been wanting to try Casa Perico (122nd/Penn). I have eaten at El Perico for lunch (63rd/Meridian or Portland) and had the "hot" salsa in the skillet, but it didn't seem like habanero salsa, just hotter (spice-wise) than regular salsa. Have to go with the wife to Casa Perico next time we do Mexican and try it there. And I'll definitely try the new place on 39th/College for lunch since that's fairly close to work, thanks.

For me it's johnnies. Overrated and way overcooked. I wouldn't eat roadkill that well done.

Now wait, is it the food that is overrated or the restaurant?

I have a hard time saying a restaurant like Ted's is overrated when their service is impeccable...IMPECCABLE!

Going to a restaurant one time is simply not enough to make an assessment in any direction. I'd bet that a lot of posters calling restaurants in this thread overrated have only dined there once...especially on the restaurants on the higher end of the spectrum (Red Prime, Ranch, Coach House, etc). There are so many factors in a dining experience and it seems like people are quick to dismiss an entire experience if just one thing goes wrong...especially if food is that one thing. I understand you go to a restaurant to eat, but sometimes you get the meal in the 5% to 15% done wrong, especially at a place like a steakhouse where you occasionally just get a bad cut that could not be foreseen. It happens. It's just dinner. Respectfully voice our concern and let the restaurant make it up to you before running around screaming "overrated".

Quote Originally Posted by J.R. View Post
    For me it's johnnies. Overrated and way overcooked. I wouldn't eat roadkill that well done.

Been a very long time since I've been to a Johnnies. The above sums up way. As it seems it is still that way, I can only presume some folks think burnt is a starting point instead of a done went and fell off the chart point.

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    Now wait, is it the food that is overrated or the restaurant?

I have a hard time saying a restaurant like Ted's is overrated when their service is impeccable...IMPECCABLE!

Going to a restaurant one time is simply not enough to make an assessment in any direction. I'd bet that a lot of posters

calling restaurants in this thread overrated have only dined there once...especially on the restaurants on the higher end of
    the spectrum (Red Prime, Ranch, Coach House, etc). There are so many factors in a dining experience and it seems like
    people are quick to dismiss an entire experience if just one thing goes wrong...especially if food is that one thing. I
    understand you go to a restaurant to eat, but sometimes you get the meal in the 5% to 15% done wrong, especially at a
    place like a steakhouse where you occasionally just get a bad cut that could not be foreseen. It happens. It's just dinner.
    Respectfully voice our concern and let the restaurant make it up to you before running around screaming
    "overrated".
    Agree...

Thread Information