Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cox vs Dish vs DirectTV...real costs??

Default Cox vs Dish vs DirectTV...real costs??

I'm a (reasonably) happy Cox customer (phone, TV, 'net), but I also like to keep my options open.

I'm trying to get an apples-to-apples cost comparison for service comparable to what I have from other vendors, primarily focusing on TV service. Its nearly impossible to get such a comparison because of the layers of promotional prices that perpetuate the ads.

So, for those of you in satellite land, what do you have, and what does it cost you?

I presently have two rooms with HD boxes (one of which is a DVR), with two rooms (kids) with only plain cable (primarily because I can't exclude channels on a digital converter box, plus its $6 more a month). I'm intrigued by four-tuner, Internet-programmable, and multi-room DVRs, which Cox has talked about (at least some), but never delivered. And I think I'm seeing more and more compression artifacts on Cox's HD signal as they continue to deal with bandwidth issues...

So....if you're willing to share what you have and what it costs, I'd be appreciative. Be aware that I loathe all things ATT, so they start with several strikes against them...but I'll still listen to what they have...

Default Re: Cox vs Dish vs DirectTV...real costs??

dont get me started on directv. i worked at convergys in moore for 5 yrs. dtv is evil, stay away.

this thread should just be entitled "cox vs. dish network"

dont even waste your time with directv. its not worth it. heed my warning.

Quote Originally Posted by decepticobra View Post
    dont get me started on directv. i worked at convergys in moore for 5 yrs. dtv is evil, stay away.

this thread should just be entitled "cox vs. dish network"

dont even waste your time with directv. its not worth it. heed my warning.
    Tell us about it then. I'm looking at Dish or DTV pretty soon. Cox has no cable out my way yet.

I've been with Directv since '99 no problems with them.

MadMonk Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rod4soonrs View Post
    I've been with DTV since '97 with the exception of one horrible year of Dish network service. I'll never go back. If there was so much as a dark cloud in the sky the reception was horrible. In addition, the receiver was frustratingly slow to respond to input. Support was uncaring and at times rude. They eventually changed out the receiver after 5 or 6 calls but it made no difference. I went back to DTV as soon as my contract expired and have been very happy ever since.

I'm in a grandfathered plan that's no longer advertised, but a close match would be the "Choice Extra + DVR" with local channels for $65.99/month.

I've been with them the past 18 months and no problems

Quote Originally Posted by HVAC Instructor View Post
    Tell us about it then. I'm looking at Dish or DTV pretty soon. Cox has no cable out my way yet.
    Seriously. Go with Dish Network. Im short on time right now. But if you demand reasons why, I will fill you in later when I have more free time.

Quote Originally Posted by decepticobra View Post
    Seriously. Go with Dish Network. Im short on time right now. But if you demand reasons why, I will fill you in later when I have more free time.
    Yes! I demand! LOL!

Please do post what you know when you can.

9. Default Re: Cox vs Dish vs DirectTV...real costs??

I have had Directv for 8 or 9 years. I recently upgraded to Hi-def. I also have a strange package they no longer offer. I think I pay around $70.

If I could get cable I probably would, simply because I could have it in every room and not have to pay extra. Plus when it does come a downpour, Directv will completely lose the signal, not really something you want to have happen during storm season.

However I think that my Hi-def is better than my dad's who has Cox.

I have had Dish for about three years. I'm pleased with it.

Currently, we have an all HD package plus locals for about $35 a month. We also have a great HD-DVR.

I was cautioned on the reception, but we get excellent reception. The only time it goes out is in very severe weather, emphasis on very. The signal stays on through the majority of storms. It even stayed on during the ice storm. Besides, we've hooked up an antenna to the DVR, scanned for locals and now even if the Dish goes out, we will still be able to get locals over-the-air.

All in all, for the price, reception and DVR, Dish is great.

The same for me, I changed when I lived in The Village and Multimedia Cablevision service went out when the wind blew....I will never go back to cable for television, I do have cable (TimeWarner in Austin) for internet. I also have NFL Sunday Ticket and MLB Extra Innings which I can't get on the other options.

I am also pretty sure every call center has horror stories, I have known quite a few who have worked at different ones and all are hard on the employees. Good customer service just isn't that important to most large corporations anymore and there are plenty of disgruntled workers at all of them.

I have had DirecTV since '98 and I love it. I will never go back to cable. We have Choice +, TIVO DVR service, and 2 boxes. Our bill is $73/month. As for the weather issue, the only time we lose a signal is if really severe thunderstorms are directly overhead. We generally lose the signal for less than a minute. It seems once the dish gets coated in water the signal comes back. When it happens I just switch over to the rabbit ear antenna I have sitting on the floor behind the TV by pressing the input button on my remote a few times. Then I am able to watch local weather bulletins.

I have Bellsouth DSL (now ATT) bundled on the same bill so I save $10 on my DSL. As for the warning from decepticobra, I use to work in the Management Information Group for Convergys - DirectTV isn't evil, Convergys is evil.

Finally, one of the things I really like about DirecTV is when we go to the in-laws house in Kentucky the stations are the same. I don't have to hunt for the Travel Channel or the DIY Network. Plus, I can control my DVR at home through my cell phone (which I have had to do when dinner out runs longer than expected).

Next on my wish list is a sling box.

Just saw a DTV ad that showed you could get NFL games on your cell phone if you had their service. Anyone know what that's about? Built in Slingbox maybe?

The main objection I have over going to satellite from cable is the loss of local government channels, so I won't be able to see the various public meetings. I don't always want to be bothered with having to go to the actual live meeting over a fight with a zoning change in my residential neighborhood. Of course, if you own no homes and/or businesses, maybe you couldn't care less about the local government channels.

Quote Originally Posted by stick47 View Post
    Just saw a DTV ad that showed you could get NFL games on your cell phone if you had their service. Anyone know what that's about? Built in Slingbox maybe?
    It works if you have NFL Sunday Ticket, it worked on mine today.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    It works if you have NFL Sunday Ticket, it worked on mine today.
    My Wife is from Seoul, S. Korea so we watch a lot of Korean satellite TV and they've got cell phone television there. No added charge since it's over the air broadcasting and not through the cellular companies. You can also use your phone to pay your bus fare, buy groceries, etc. The US needs to catch up.

Well, their phone markets are different over there. I know in Japan (in 1996) there was no such thing as "local calls" as every call whether it was across the hall or country paid a per minute rate. Plus you had a virtual monopoly with NTT and their build out costs are less because they are covering a very small fraction of land area and much higher population density in much smaller countries. Much like it is with many things between the countries like rail systems.

I apprecaite this thread. We are making plans to come back home - hopefully by the end of the year - and will need internet for a home office and TV. No cable where our house is.

19. Default Re: Cox vs Dish vs DirectTV...real costs??

Quote Originally Posted by East Coast Okie View Post
    I apprecaite this thread. We are making plans to come back home - hopefully by the end of the year - and will need internet for a home office and TV. No cable where our house is.
    Will high-speed internet be available? Because the only option I have where I live is satellite internet, and it is dreadful. I have contemplated going back to dial-up many a time. I use Wildblue and have regretted it every since I bought it.

I have heard better things out of Hughesnet but it is more expensive, so i guess you get what you pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by so1rfan View Post
    Will high-speed internet be available? Because the only option I have where I live is satellite internet, and it is dreadful. I have contemplated going back to dial-up many a time. I use Wildblue and have regretted it every since I bought it.

I have heard better things out of Hughesnet but it is more expensive, so i guess you get what you pay for.
    We are going to have to do the best we can and may end up with dial up - blah! He will have a home office but working out of DC so can't afford to be offline for any length of time.

Depending upon where it is there may be fixed wireless available. I had Sprint Broadband Direct when I lived in OKC and it was great. I know some former fellow employees who lived out in more rural areas had fixed wireless for internet. There are some small providers around that offered it a few years back. You might check and see if it is available where you are moving.

I'd still appreciate some package prices on satellite HD services/equipment rentals if anyone's willing....

I've been looking to compare these services too..
    I am moving to Yukon, so AT&T u-verse is out...

I am looking more for a comparison of offering and prices, rather than technology. I know a lot about the technology(I am an EE), just not the prices.

If anyone has done a good number crunch, I would be very interested.
    Evil companies, poor customer service, etc doesn't really bother me. I am more concerned with getting the most bang for my buck!
    I've been with DTV since '97 with the exception of one horrible year of Dish network service. I'll never go back. If there was so much as a dark cloud in the sky the reception was horrible. In addition, the receiver was frustratingly slow to respond to input. Support was uncaring and at times rude. They eventually changed out the receiver after 5 or 6 calls but it made no difference. I went back to DTV as soon as my contract expired and have been very happy ever since.
    Umm...what?

Dish Network and DirecTV use the same technology in their signal. One is not going to have better signal than another(unless a specific thing, like a tree, was blocking Dish Network and NOT DirecTV). The entire argument that one had "horrible" reception, while the other was perfect would seem to imply that you are a less than objective testimonial.

As far as the receiver being 'frustrating slow to respond', this too strikes me as odd. Over the past decade Dish Network and DirecTV have both had several dozen different receiver models. It is a bit like saying "don't buy car company X, they have horrible fuel economy". It is highly dependent on which model you were using for your comparison, it also isn't very relevant to compare a model from 10 years ago(that had issues) to a modern model that is entirely different.

I have had Directv for 8 or 9 years. I recently upgraded to Hi-def. I also have a strange package they no longer offer. I think I pay around $70.

If I could get cable I probably would, simply because I could have it in every room and not have to pay extra. Plus when it does come a downpour, Directv will completely lose the signal, not really something you want to have happen during storm season.

However I think that my Hi-def is better than my dad's who has Cox.
    I think I just saw that cable requires you to pay extra for each additional TV if you want HD in every room(or a DVR). You only get basic analog cable service with COX for free in every room...and that is only because they can't stop you from doing it.

I was cautioned on the reception, but we get excellent reception. The only time it goes out is in very severe weather, emphasis on very. The signal stays on through the majority of storms. It even stayed on during the ice storm. Besides, we've hooked up an antenna to the DVR, scanned for locals and now even if the Dish goes out, we will still be able to get locals over-the-air.
    I can say that in my experience, if you have a good install and a clear satellite view...it is very rare for satellite to go out. Many people don't have a great install(which allows the dish to swing in wind) or an obstructed view...which is why so many people have problems with signal going out.

I would also say that cable add that cable signal can go out too. It also takes longer to restore cable service, since you have to wait for the weather to clear AND wait for someone to get out there to fix it. The only thing that will really end satellite service is if a solar storm knocks out a satellite...which would cause bigger problems anyway

We've been lookling at ATT U-verse. My in-laws are very happy with it. Any horror stories?

I can say that in my experience, if you have a good install and a clear satellite view...it is very rare for satellite to go out.
    Even with a great signal strength you can lose satellite signal during a storm and the storm doesn't have to be immediately overhead. We've lost our reception in good local weather while the weather to the South of us was bad.
    Ice storms will also cause a loss of reception. I McGyver'ed our dish back in operation in the last ice storm by using my heat gun on a long pole to melt the ice off of the LNB.

Thread Information