Widgets Magazine
Page 21 of 38 FirstFirst ... 1617181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: State Fairgrounds

Default Re: State Fairgrounds

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    If someone wanted to force the issue, couldn't a Freedom of information filing be made or a lawsuit filed to get any records?
    They'd probably just say the FOIA doesn't apply to them or just ignore it like so many other state agencies seem to do without consequences...

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    They'd probably just say the FOIA doesn't apply to them or just ignore it like so many other state agencies seem to do without consequences...
    They have already told me the state's open meetings and records laws don't apply to them and that is why they don't publish their minutes and other things that would be otherwise required.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    They have already told me the state's open meetings and records laws don't apply to them and that is why they don't publish their minutes and other things that would be otherwise required.
    Could you get one of our State reps or senators to request an AG's opinion on whether that is legal?

Quote Originally Posted by rte66man View Post
    Could you get one of our State reps or senators to request an AG's opinion on whether that is legal?
    I might.

There is a ton of money flowing through there, almost all being tax dollars.

5. Default Re: State Fairgrounds

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I might.

There is a ton of money flowing through there, almost all being tax dollars.
    Which leads me to think they have to be required to comply. Otherwise, by not making the information public, it just makes everyone wonder what are they hiding?

Blog Entries

maybe one of the lawyers on here can help Pete out with some pro bono legal notices....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    I'm really glad they decided not to charge for parking, at least for now.

I know they got strong push-back from a lot of the big events and I'm sure that had something to do with this.

9. Default Re: State Fairgrounds

I find it especially satisfactory that a livestock group (IPRA) is who was quoted as saying it was not a good idea. I'm positive that they dont give a fat crap what the public thinks, but at least they listen to the horse people that they drool over. And thank you to said horse people for speaking up and slapping some sense into these people.

I agree that it was outcry from the people/organizations renting the buildings, and not the public, that led to the rethinking. My question at this point is how many organizations said "do this and we bail" and how many, needing to plan in advance, have indeed already found a new location. How much scrambling now needs to be done to win those organizations back, organizations that were already looking due to the rising rent? I've also seen articles talking about how the wrestling competition will be forced out because they can't ask their people to pay parking, the library sale going on this weekend was already seeking a better venue before this decision, and SUPER! BitCon can't afford to return, regardless of what is done with parking. The announcement on their webpage explicitly states that it's in part due to the storm last year, but also in part due to rising costs.

tl;dr: It's ironic the rodeo had to tell them how stupid stepping into this huge pile of horse crap was.

A light needs to be shined on the fairgrounds, their finances and their business decisions.

Since they are completely funded by public dollars, there is no reason they should operate in such secrecy which seems to be pretty aggressively defended.

I want to delve into this further. I understand generally what they are trying to do but the public needs to have more involvement.

12. Default Re: State Fairgrounds

Pete, I've said that all along since the Fairgrounds always seems to show up for the MAPS spigot despite the fact that they have a well known funding mechanism in place and are run in such secrecy.

I'd love to have the light reveal what goes on there and why stupid decisions (remove the space needle, monorail, grandstand etc that made the fair what it was) were enacted and who is accountable. ... I think Clay Bennett is on the board but I can't think he'd be the one behind these ridiculous decisions given his love for OKC and what he has done otherwise for the city which has been spectacular. ...
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

For those pining to see the monorail run again...one of the cars was made into a race car by Farm Truck and AZN on a TV show mash up of Street Outlaws and Fast 'N Loud called Build To Mega Race 2. Its the skin mounted on a truck chassis. It's called the Gonorail, with the tag line "Don't worry, you can't catch it."

Blog Entries

interesting/neat but hopefully one of them made it to the railway museum (I'm sure someone has pointed out if so but I didn't catch it).

I know one of the trainsets was turned into a float and used in the Christmas regatta on the Oklahoma River some years ago.

We found this book at an estate sale. The copyright is 1994.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0715.JPG 
Views:	96 
Size:	2.29 MB 
ID:	14663

This is the first image inside the book. It made me kind of sad to think how much has changed since that photo was taken. The space needle was such an iconic part of the fair. Also of note is the confederate flag flying along with others. I wonder when (or if) they quit flying it there.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0716.JPG 
Views:	100 
Size:	1.95 MB 
ID:	14664

Edit...not sure why my pictures are flipped. Vertical on the computer. Sorry.

I never really noticed they flew the confederate flag. Interesting and I agree, sad about the space needle. Thanks for the heads up on the book. Our Pioneer library has it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sharona21 View Post
    I never really noticed they flew the confederate flag. Interesting and I agree, sad about the space needle. Thanks for the heads up on the book. Our Pioneer library has it.
    The 11th and 12th flags were during the War Between the States from 1861-1865 when the Choctaw Confederate troops carried the Choctaw Indian Nation flag and the Confederate Battle Flag also flew over Oklahoma.
    14 Flags Plaza Shows State History: https://newsok.com/article/2551499/1...-state-history

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    14 Flags Plaza Shows State History: https://newsok.com/article/2551499/1...-state-history
    Thanks, Laramie! That explanation may very well be in the book itself, but I haven't gotten far enough into the book to be dealing with its current location. Appreciate the link.

The Oklahoma State Fair announced the musical lineup for the fair this fall and I have to say it's pretty underwhelming...

Thursday, September 13 - Colt Ford
    Friday, September 14 - Neal McCoy
    Saturday, September 15 - Beatles Mania Live
    Sunday, September 16 - Los Traileros Del Norte
    Monday, September 17 - Jordan Feliz
    Tuesday, September 18 - Herman's Hermits
    Wednesday, September 19 - Elvis Extravaganza
    Thursday, September 20 - Dylan Scott
    Friday, September 21 - dru Hill
    Saturday, September 22 - Foghat
    Sunday, September 23 - Space Oddity - The Ultimate David Bowie Experience

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    The Oklahoma State Fair announced the musical lineup for the fair this fall and I have to say it's pretty underwhelming...

Man, what has happened to the State Fair? I would say they are a dying breed, but many, many other state fairs are thriving.

I agree. I have seen Sevendust and Blue October at the State Fair in years past.

This year, at the Minnesota State Fair, Sugarland, Earth Wind and Fire, Beach Boys, Jason Mraz, Impractical Jokes, 311/Offspring/Gym class Heroes and Boy George/B-52's are playing.

This year at the Iowa State Fair, Casting crowns, Reba McEntire, Daughtry, Old Dominion, Papa Roach/Chevelle, Jim Gaffigan, Thomas Rhett, Earth, Wind and Fire, Sugarland and Florida Georgia Line are playing,

There are several other fairs out there with solid lineups and for some reason OK doesn't do the same thing. Is there any particular reason why? Is there too much of a focus on the horse shows because that is where all the money comes from?

NOW the "OKC gets the hind teat" BS would be appropriate...

Wouldn't the Ultimate David Bowie Experience be actually seeing Bowie himself live (no longer possible, but still)?

Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
    Man, what has happened to the State Fair? I would say they are a dying breed, but many, many other state fairs are thriving.
    OKC leadership has been actively dismantling the Fair a bit at a time without actually cancelling the event itself. Leadership gives not two craps about the Fair. If it doesn't have a mane and a tail, and whinnies, it might as well be a leprosy convention.

Thread Information