Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: About Thunder being called "Boomers"

1. Default Re: About Thunder being called "Boomers"

I don't like it either.
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

2. Default Re: About Thunder being called "Boomers"

Great article Doug!

StrawBerry is really getting on my nerves with this, and I'm an OU fan.

3. Default Re: About Thunder being called "Boomers"

Man that guy can carry on.

Good job Doug.

4. Default Re: About Thunder being called "Boomers"

They can name the cheerleading squad, The Boomers. Now, isn't that nice?

5. Default Re: About Thunder being called "Boomers"

I've added some substantial supplements to the original article. I'm not a foe of Berry Tramel, I just think that he oversteps his legitimate boundaries as a newspaper journalist from time to time, as in this instance.

6. Default Re: About Thunder being called "Boomers"

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    They can name the cheerleading squad, The Boobers. Now, isn't that nice?
    That one letter makes a big difference.

Default Re: About Thunder being called "Boomers"

Folks still read Trammel? News to me.

8. Default Re: About Thunder being called "Boomers"

Quote Originally Posted by Oh GAWD the Smell! View Post
    That one letter makes a big difference.
    I didn't type it like that!

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Loudenback View Post
    I've added some substantial supplements to the original article. I'm not a foe of Berry Tramel, I just think that he oversteps his legitimate boundaries as a newspaper journalist from time to time, as in this instance.
    Agreed. And Boomers is just dumb. Dumber than Thunder.

I guess we could have been the Barons and then he'd be calling them the "Feudals"...

...then again, maybe that would have been appropriate this year.

11. Default Re: About Thunder being called "Boomers"

Very well done Doug.

Unfortunately Trammel will never read this since he believes all message boards are evil....

13. Default Re: About Thunder being called "Boomers"

Quote Originally Posted by hipsterdoofus View Post
    Unfortunately Trammel will never read this since he believes all message boards are evil....
    Quite right. I left a smaller version of the same thing as a comment in his blog, Emails: The people have spoken; Tramel is an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Loudenback View Post
    Quite right. I left a smaller version of the same thing as a comment in his blog, Emails: The people have spoken; Tramel is an idiot.
    haha, classic Doug! genius. he just likes stirring up controvery so he can keep the hits up on his "blog."

15. Default Re: About Thunder being called "Boomers"

Quote Originally Posted by Metro
    haha, classic Doug! genius. he just likes stirring up controvery so he can keep the hits up on his "blog."
    So what? And how might you describe the "classic Metro?"

Just kidding. You're a genius and have a fine blog (here).

Doug, just to clarify I meant Trammel likes stirring up pointless controversy just to keep hits up on his blog (even though he hates blogs and online forums such as OKCTalk)! Definitely enjoyed your post on his blog.

I kinda like the Boomer association.

18. Default Re: About Thunder being called "Boomers"

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Doug, just to clarify I meant Trammel likes stirring up pointless controversy just to keep hits up on his blog (even though he hates blogs and online forums such as OKCTalk)! Definitely enjoyed your post on his blog.
    Sorry, Metro. I thought you meant me and you got my knee jerk "fire back when fired upon" type message. Mea culpa.

The thing that frustrates me most about this is it seems like Berry is continually calling them the Boomers in order to get it to catch on, which I and most people alike agree that it never will, so that he can claim he was the first one to start calling them that. I agree with Doug in that it needs to come naturally. The NY Knickerbockers changed the the NY Knicks, I have heard the Portland Trailblazers referred to the Blazers, the Cavaliers known as the Cavs, etc. Of the teams that have nicknames, they are simply shorter than the original, that is all. You don't see the Orlando Magic being referred to randomly as the Blaines, the Houdinis or something else synonymous with Magic. The Jets aren't referred to the F-14's, the B-52's or another kind of Jet.

20. Default Re: About Thunder being called "Boomers"

I think it is okay to call them Boomers in a different meaning. OKC Thunder is and will be getting OKC to be booming with more businesses, attractions, and events. Who knows, years down the road, the name could actually be changed to OKC Boomers. They can still keep the Thunder theme, kinda like how a Thunderstorm booms with sound and action. Maybe keep OKC Thunder for life and the cheerleading squad be named the Boomers as they bring the crowd to life, including a Boomer mascot thunderstruck'ed.

21. Default Re: About Thunder being called "Boomers"

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    I think it is okay to call them Boomers in a different meaning. OKC Thunder is and will be getting OKC to be booming with more businesses, attractions, and events. Who knows, years down the road, the name could actually be changed to OKC Boomers. They can still keep the Thunder theme, kinda like how a Thunderstorm booms with sound and action. Maybe keep OKC Thunder for life and the cheerleading squad be named the Boomers as they bring the crowd to life, including a Boomer mascot thunderstruck'ed.
    The problem with that, as reasonably stated as you have attempted to make it, is that the term "Boomers" already HAS a well-defined historic meaning and/or an a much later association with the University of Oklahoma. "Boomers" means either (a) Kansans' illegal attempts to enter the Unassigned Lands prior to the 1889 Land Run, or (b) contemporary associations with the University of Oklahoma. Unless you are inclined to rewrite history to fit what Trammel seems bent to do, there really is no middle ground. Boomers is wrong either for (a) or (b).

22. Default Re: About Thunder being called "Boomers"

Yeah, I can understand that. Sooners Boomers!

Thread Information