Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Jones Assembly

Default Re: 901 W. Sheridan

I could see it being something similar to Billy Bob's in Ft. Worth.

http://billybobstexas.com/files/2012...ite_011515.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    I could see it being something similar to Billy Bob's in Ft. Worth.

http://billybobstexas.com/files/2012...ite_011515.pdf
    No offense but I hope that this place doesn't have such a narrow concept. A place like Billy Bob's would pretty much mean that only country/folk/maybe rock would be welcomed at this place. That would exclude a ton of amazing artists here that don't fall into those categories. We already have plenty of places here like that.

However if you mean that it's a restaurant that puts a major emphasis on the music, then yes I agree that would be great.

House of Blues would probably be a good comparison as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_M View Post
    No offense but I hope that this place doesn't have such a narrow concept. A place like Billy Bob's would pretty much mean that only country/folk/maybe rock would be welcomed at this place. That would exclude a ton of amazing artists here that don't fall into those categories. We already have plenty of places here like that.

However if you mean that it's a restaurant that puts a major emphasis on the music, then yes I agree that would be great.
    I was just talking about the food. I agree, it shouldn't have a country emphasis... we already have plenty of that. But if it is a restauarnt with a heavy emphasis on music (which I think it will be), I think that it will do very well and be a great push forward for Film Row.

5. Default Re: 901 W. Sheridan

After a long absence, I thought I would revisit OkcTalk and see if polemics (as I perceived it) have been ramped down, that being the main reason for my extended absence. I've not reached a conclusion about that yet and have just started browsing, this thread being my first read on this visit. I must say that the detail I have read, above, far exceeds anything I've read elsewhere, so I give props to you at OkcTalk for publishing the detail that I did not see anywhere else.

This sounds like a very cool project, and I hope that it gets done and works.

6. Default Re: 901 W. Sheridan

Great to see you, Doug! Hopefully you feel like sticking around; your voice is missed.

What Urbanized said!

Also…that Taco Bell is going to get LIT UP!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I never realized how freaking big HoB is though. The one in Houston is massive, tons of separate bars and spaces all throughout.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    There menu is definitely nicer than Billy Bob's and I could see that being a better fit.

House Of Blues

"Higher & better use" if I ever saw it.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Just makes me laugh, I caught a bit of grief (from people that shall remain nameless) on public forums regarding our new location because it didn't have the "foot traffic" or "visibility" that the Uptown 23rd street location had. Well that seems to be changing quickly…

Goes back to one of my favorite quotes... "When You Write the Story of Your Life, Don't Let Anyone Else Hold the Pen". Film Row is growing into something special and we are excited for what the future holds.

Film Row has so many ingredients already in place for a great urban district. It has great bones and building stock and some of the best placemaking in the city. It just needed a catalyst to really kick things off and now it appears like there will be several.

Quote Originally Posted by JRod1980 View Post
    Just makes me laugh, I caught a bit of grief (from people that shall remain nameless) on public forums regarding our new location because it didn't have the "foot traffic" or "visibility" that the Uptown 23rd street location had. Well that seems to be changing quickly…

Goes back to one of my favorite quotes... "When You Write the Story of Your Life, Don't Let Anyone Else Hold the Pen". Film Row is growing into something special and we are excited for what the future holds.
    Thanks for being a pioneer, I think you made a fantastic choice.

The incorporation of the old facades is what will set this apart from so many other developments downtown.

16. Default Re: 901 W. Sheridan

At least one Facebook commenter:

Bums and homeless all over that neighborhood. Bad BAD place to try to revitalize. Bad business decision, bad planning, and I would NOT do it.
    Glad developers don't listen to Facebook opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by UnFrSaKn View Post

Some people just don't see that change is good..I love this city and revitalizing efforts the people here care about where they live that is a good sign for growth. I was raised here moved away with my parents when I was a young kid 30 years ago. I always liked OKC I know people I grew up with 30 year ago that still live in OKC and kept in touch with them through those years put the place down for many years they now like the city and say how much it has done a complete 180 in 20 years. They are proud of where they live and I am glad I moved back to Oklahoma. Just think This is just the beginning of great things to come to the Metro. I'm glad I'm here to experience this new renaissance.

Quote Originally Posted by Kemotblue View Post
    Some people just don't see that change is good..I love this city and revitalizing efforts the people here care about where they live that is a good sign for growth. I was raised here moved away with my parents when I was a young kid 30 years ago. I always liked OKC I know people I grew up with 30 year ago that still live in OKC and kept in touch with them through those years put the place down for many years they now like the city and say how much it has done a complete 180 in 20 years. They are proud of where they live and I am glad I moved back to Oklahoma. Just think This is just the beginning of great things to come to the Metro. I'm glad I'm here to experience this new renaissance.
    OKC is quickly changing for the better. Good to see people acknowledging that progress although challenges remain

Lol. What a douche.

There are guys like that everywhere. Some people think that being constantly negative makes them smarter than other people.

Bums and homeless all over that neighborhood. Bad BAD place to try to revitalize. Bad business decision, bad planning, and I would NOT do it.
    That's truly breathtaking. Especially to be framed in terms of "business decisions," which are usually at least moderately informed lol.

OKC will have made it in terms of self-esteem when an army of similarly shocked locals jump on people like that... (not saying that didn't happen)

Every community HAS to self-police.

Pete, I'm sure you are already, but can you find a way to get some renderings up. I know we don't want to steal the Oklahoman's, but this thread deserves more discussion & it won't get it until people don't have to click a link to see what is going to be built.

Back to the current discussion. When I saw these plans the first thought I had was "nice, this will actually push some of the bad apples out of the area" not that all homeless people are bad apples but on that side of town in this area I have had some violent encounters with the homeless population. Not actual physically, but there have for sure been verbal threats. Deciding on whether to build something or not to build something in an emerging but not yet established area because of this "problem" would be a total idiotic move. Glad the developers aren't as short sighted.

I've had more than a few late nights on this end of Film Row as we work to get FlashBack opened up and I can honestly say that I've yet to encounter any problems with any of the homeless individuals in this area. First of, it's my understanding that anyone staying the night at the City Rescue Mission has to be in by 9pm. As for those not staying inside, they typically find some spots away from the main streets to camp out. There's a huge transformation taking place at this end of Film Row and it will completely change the landscape of the western end of downtown, which will in turn change the dynamics of the people in this area. I've followed the development of this district from the start of the streets renovations and as the development has pushed west, so have the homeless individuals that roam the area. For someone to make a business decision based of something like the amount of homeless people in a specific area, to me shows they have no clue what they are talking about.

On a side note, I think sometimes as a society we look at someone less fortunate or homeless and instantly think they are bad people or the area they are in is a bad part of town. A lot of the people that I've encountered seem to have fallen on bad luck/bad times and are trying to keep fighting to make a living for themselves. I've seen a number of families that live in the Rescue Mission, kids that look like they are in Middle School whose mom or dad are trying their hardest to provide for them. Unless you've been in that situation or know someone that's been there, you can't fully understand what it's like and what they go through. For me, it's a constant reminder of how blessed I am at this point in my life that I can even provide a roof for my family. It's also a reminder of how quickly it can all be taken away.

^^^ Amen ^^^

Quote Originally Posted by JRod1980 View Post
    I've had more than a few late nights on this end of Film Row as we work to get FlashBack opened up and I can honestly say that I've yet to encounter any problems with any of the homeless individuals in this area. First of, it's my understanding that anyone staying the night at the City Rescue Mission has to be in by 9pm. As for those not staying inside, they typically find some spots away from the main streets to camp out. There's a huge transformation taking place at this end of Film Row and it will completely change the landscape of the western end of downtown, which will in turn change the dynamics of the people in this area. I've followed the development of this district from the start of the streets renovations and as the development has pushed west, so have the homeless individuals that roam the area. For someone to make a business decision based of something like the amount of homeless people in a specific area, to me shows they have no clue what they are talking about.

On a side note, I think sometimes as a society we look at someone less fortunate or homeless and instantly think they are bad people or the area they are in is a bad part of town. A lot of the people that I've encountered seem to have fallen on bad luck/bad times and are trying to keep fighting to make a living for themselves. I've seen a number of families that live in the Rescue Mission, kids that look like they are in Middle School whose mom or dad are trying their hardest to provide for them. Unless you've been in that situation or know someone that's been there, you can't fully understand what it's like and what they go through. For me, it's a constant reminder of how blessed I am at this point in my life that I can even provide a roof for my family. It's also a reminder of how quickly it can all be taken away.
    I've seen the "Pursuit of Happyness", does that count?

Thread Information