Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Late night drink and dining options in OKC

Default Re: Criterion Concert Hall

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Yep, definitely a good thing to eat a meal after getting dehydrated/hungry dancing your ass off until 3-4 AM (the "underground" clubs in Bricktown and on Classen stayed open late (or early, depending on your POV)), our diner of choice was Girlie Pancake House (yeah, I'm old)... Be nice if today's club kids had something besides IHOP (waaaaaaaay too expensive for the quality of food, we literally get the same thing at Jimmy's for $10 less).
    And as we both know, "They're Stacked Better"!
    C. T.

Default Re: Late night drink and dining options in OKC

FWIW, it isn't just the stay to closing time imbibers who enjoy breakfast in the wee hours. I am often back not long after 2:30 or 3. I tend to fix for myself more these days rather than go out and about. IHoP is not horrid by any means, but it's also not all that inviting a place. Food is ok, but the decor of most in the metro remind me of medical office waiting rooms. So I putter around quietly to avoid waking my lovely. I miss having places to pop into, socialize a bit, grab a bite and then either get on with the day or go back and sleep another hour or three, depending on what the morning holds.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    So now Beverly's at NW Expressway and May is in the suburbs?
    Looks suburban to me.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    FWIW, it isn't just the stay to closing time imbibers who enjoy breakfast in the wee hours. I am often back not long after 2:30 or 3. I tend to fix for myself more these days rather than go out and about. IHoP is not horrid by any means, but it's also not all that inviting a place. Food is ok, but the decor of most in the metro remind me of medical office waiting rooms. So I putter around quietly to avoid waking my lovely. I miss having places to pop into, socialize a bit, grab a bite and then either get on with the day or go back and sleep another hour or three, depending on what the morning holds.
    This. IHOP works fine for imbibers who just need something after the club lets out and don't care what. In my younger days I've partied in small towns that had nothing open late but a Waffle House and that worked fine for the occasion. However, it would be nice if there was something a little more authentic and inviting in downtown OKC. Given how prevalent such places are in other cities, I don't think its that unrealistic to wish for that here. It would be surprising if something doesn't open up within the next 5-10 years as the urban core continues to grow and come into its own.

4. Default Re: Late night drink and dining options in OKC

The Belle Isle IHOP has had quite a few after hours security issues too. Staying open 24 hrs is definitely a commitment. I do think that a more upscale place would have fewer of those types of issues.

For instance, Hatch, when open, will probably have an upscale feel and menu. That type of place is less likely to attract brawlers, and if they chose to do late nights they would probably have fewer issues than IHOP.

A lot of people obsess on price, and think every breakfast place should be a $5.99 eggs and bacon type place. But there is a reason some places are pricier, and it's not always about making more profit.

It's the same reason I'm often drawn to bars with pricier drinks. I sometimes love a good dive bar too, but have to be in the right mood to keep my head in a swivel in case someone acts up. Like many, I'd usually just prefer not to put up with the BS that often accompanies a budget crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    The Belle Isle IHOP has had quite a few after hours security issues too. Staying open 24 hrs is definitely a commitment. I do think that a more upscale place would have fewer of those types of issues.

For instance, Hatch, when open, will probably have an upscale feel and menu. That type of place is less likely to attract brawlers, and if they chose to do late nights they would probably have fewer issues than IHOP.
    I agree with this.

Amelie's French Bakery in Charlotte has a more upscale atmosphere and is more popular with college students and people who work third shift than it is with late night brawlers. My best experiences there were not drunk experiences. It's a genuinely cool place, especially very late at night. I personally think All About Cha could easily become that kind of place, especially since its already the most popular later at night.

Mattie's Diner on the other hand has a lot more security issues because its one of those cheap places that appeals to imbibers.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    A lot of people obsess on price, and think every breakfast place should be a $5.99 eggs and bacon type place. But there is a reason some places are pricier, and it's not always about making more profit.
    The only reason I mentioned price WRT IHOP is that you get no better food there than at Jimmy's, and you pay more, so why go to IHOP (unless it's the only place open)... We go to lotsa places and pay more for better food (and cocktails too), it's just gotta be, um, better.

7. Default Re: Late night drink and dining options in OKC

^^^^^^^
    No, I understood what you meant. My post was a generalized one.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    The only reason I mentioned price WRT IHOP is that you get no better food there than at Jimmy's, and you pay more, so why go to IHOP (unless it's the only place open)... We go to lotsa places and pay more for better food (and cocktails too), it's just gotta be, um, better.
    Do you ever turn the TV on and see Jimmys Egg advertising ? No but you do see a lot of IHOP commercials that usually ends up costing the end user more at the register.

Thread Information