Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Late night drink and dining options in OKC

Default Re: All Late Night Options in OKC

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_M View Post
    Side thought, if anyone's a really good web designer, it would be pretty cool to turn all this info into a cool website. Like an unbiased, unabridged reference of things to do in OKC.
    This. If you make it easy for people to find good places to go then maybe the stereotype would subside.

Quote Originally Posted by KilgoreTrout View Post
    This. If you make it easy for people to find good places to go then maybe the stereotype would subside.
    I agree, but that's only true for people who spend extensive time in OKC. The truth is that OKC is not a long term or final destination for most travelers and visitors. For every forum that provides positive feedback, there are 10 more with people just venting how bored they are here. And also not being pedestrian friendly, I wouldn't expect someone to run into Paseo on accident, or take a chance and randomly drive 15 miles north or south to find edmond or norman.

Unless you have a really good tour guide, you'd probably just google it and unfortunately most of the "what to do in OKC" sites are made by the city and tell you to follow the sky-scraper. Anyway, just a thought, maybe I'll take a shot at it.

And Sauced used to make great coffee, but from what I've heard, it changed a lot and really declined in quality, but my favorite coffee place (Cuppies and Joe) and another good shop (Red Cup) are pretty close to Paseo. They don't stay open very late anymore though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_M View Post

And Sauced used to make great coffee, but from what I've heard, it changed a lot and really declined in quality, but my favorite coffee place (Cuppies and Joe) and another good shop (Red Cup) are pretty close to Paseo. They don't stay open very late anymore though.
    Isn't there another Sauced location?

Quote Originally Posted by soonermike81 View Post
    Isn't there another Sauced location?
    http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=28626

Quote Originally Posted by KilgoreTrout View Post

Actually. I might just tackle this idea. Anyone interested in helping me out or giving some ideas?

Since this is a late night spot website, I would try to contrast it from any of the other Chamber of Commerce sites. Dark but bold colors. Something that screams night life.

Not sure exactly how committed you feel to this, but the best thing would be to get some great high quality pictures to go with each spot. A cool thing would be to add some local music (Denver Duncan, Jabee, Sean Johnson, etc...) to play in the background once you visit the site. I'm a musician whose studio is currently in a box while I'm between permanent residences, but I'd like to submit some music later on if you wanted.

Also it would probably be good to separate each place by region (Bricktown, Memorial, Edmond, Norman, South OKC).

Other than the mention of Harkins doing some midnight openings, do any local theaters still do "Midnight Movies?" I remeber back in the mid-80's, we would often go to the midnight movies at the theater next to Quail Springs. They usually had Rocky Horror showing in one and at least one or two other options. If I can remember correctly through the haze of time, the Rocky Horror crowd seemed to be of drinking age, and the other options drew the younger crowd. Similarly, the theater right off campus in Norman next to Mr. Bills had midnight movies on the weekends too.

I still see this when I'm travelling around, for instance, E-Street cinema in DC does two midnight movies every Friday and Saturday night. (Of course, they also sell beer, wine and coffee drinks in their general seating areas as well...)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomPaine View Post
    Other than the mention of Harkins doing some midnight openings, do any local theaters still do "Midnight Movies?" I remeber back in the mid-80's, we would often go to the midnight movies at the theater next to Quail Springs. They usually had Rocky Horror showing in one and at least one or two other options. If I can remember correctly through the haze of time, the Rocky Horror crowd seemed to be of drinking age, and the other options drew the younger crowd. Similarly, the theater right off campus in Norman next to Mr. Bills had midnight movies on the weekends too.

I still see this when I'm travelling around, for instance, E-Street cinema in DC does two midnight movies every Friday and Saturday night. (Of course, they also sell beer, wine and coffee drinks in their general seating areas as well...)

I don't know of anyone regularly showing Rocky Horror-type cult classics late night, but, again, Harkins doesn't just have midnight openings on Thursdays. They regularly show movies starting as late as 1:00am on Fridays and Saturdays.

Mike - thanks for the offer! We're in the middle of designing the website as well as trying to figure out how to structure it appropriately. We can definitely look into the music idea at a later time.

High quality photos and content are definitely a must! I'd love to get feedback from you guys once we have something going!

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkasa View Post
    ... Harkins doesn't just have midnight openings on Thursdays. They regularly show movies starting as late as 1:00am on Fridays and Saturdays.
    I dinna realize that. I thought the only place starting movies in the wee hours was Winchester Drive-in on the weekends. Not that I have any real hankering for being in BT at 3 am these days.

All the bars close down at 2AM here in other places around the country they stay open till 4 or 5 AM.

Does anyone know of somewhere to go after 2AM other than a house party??

Also you think one could make a living giving drunks and their vehicles a ride home from downtown??

Default Re: Aloft Hotel

Why not bring in a real retro diner? These are extremely popular in other cities. Upon moving to OKC I was very surprised something like this wasn't already here because I thought every major city had at least one.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Why not bring in a real retro diner? These are extremely popular in other cities. Upon moving to OKC I was very surprised something like this wasn't already here because I thought every major city had at least one.
    There is one in Mustang, so it must be a major city ?

Are you guys sure there are no 24 hour places in OKC? I've always had a hard time believing that when people mention it here.

Late Night Eating Out in Oklahoma City: OKC Restaurants

5 of the places on the 24 hour list I linked are local spots.

The narratives that some people continue to stick is so odd.

Quote Originally Posted by AP View Post
    Are you guys sure there are no 24 hour places in OKC? I've always had a hard time believing that when people mention it here.

Late Night Eating Out in Oklahoma City: OKC Restaurants

5 of the places on the 24 hour list I linked are local spots.

The narratives that some people continue to stick is so odd.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe IHOP is pretty much it for the urban core. Beverly's Pancake House is probably "the" 24-hour diner in OKC but it's way out on NW Expressway. I think if there isn't a market for a locally owned diner with character in the core yet there soon will be.

There are several new late-night dining places and more to come.

Personally, I don't care about eating at 3 or 4AM. As long as there are places serving to 1AM (and they are increasing), there are tons of options open very early in the morning.

The Denny's on Meridian just north of Reno is 24/7. I know the owner, and he's a really nice guy. It's a good Denny's. Maybe a ten-minute drive from downtown, if you are wanting/needing a middle-of-the-night meal.

Quote Originally Posted by turnpup View Post
    The Denny's on Meridian just north of Reno is 24/7. I know the owner, and he's a really nice guy. It's a good Denny's. Maybe a ten-minute drive from downtown, if you are wanting/needing a middle-of-the-night meal.
    Really? In a city that tries to bill itself as a "city on the rise" I would expect a little more than a Denny's 15 minutes from downtown by car. Sorry but this comment really shows how far this city has to go.

Really? In a city that tries to bill itself as a "city on the rise" I would expect a little more than a Denny's 15 minutes from downtown by car. Sorry but this comment really shows how far this city has to go.
    This is THE measure of where OKC's at. Compelling stuff.

Agree bchris

BChris, once again you're being condescending. You have no idea who I am, or what tax bracket I'm in. All I was doing was putting it out there that there's a good Denny's that's open 24/7. Nobody's making any kind of statement about OKC or where it's at. Just naming the places people can get food in the middle of the night. Wasn't that what somebody was asking about? And frankly, there's nothing wrong with eating at Denny's. It's a freaking Denny's. So what?

I will say that there might possibly be something wrong with somebody who feels they have to make arrogant comments about a person who happens to like a particular Denny's. Snotty, snotty, snotty. Nouveau Riche wannabe, much?

(Damn it, I said I wasn't going to get adversarial here on OKCTalk, but I guess I just did...)

Was just pointing out another option in addition all those mentioned.

I am not trying to be condescending. Also nothing wrong with liking Denny's but it isn't any substitute for a real 24-hour diner downtown. Also, a real diner is usually pretty low-cost, many times cheaper than Denny's or at least the ones in Charlotte were. Sorry if I came off as condescending and it wasn't personal at all.

Quote Originally Posted by turnpup View Post
    If you like Denny's, next time you're in Dallas check out the one at Preston and Plano Parkway. It's almost like a five star joint. Really really nice and upscale. I know the manager and he is really cool.

I am not trying to be condescending. Also nothing wrong with liking Denny's but it isn't any substitute for a real 24-hour diner downtown. Also, a real diner is usually pretty low-cost, many times cheaper than Denny's or at least the ones in Charlotte were. Sorry if I came off as condescending and it wasn't personal at all.
    Thank you. Just remember that the same people who enjoy and frequent the trendy in-spots can certainly coincide with those who enjoy the chains. It happens. We like to call it diversity.

Thread Information