Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Uptown Grocery to the Village

Default Re: Uptown Grocery to the Village

Here's a brief video we shot of the Uptown Grocery. Hope you enjoy.
    https://vimeo.com/154774163

2. Default Re: Uptown Grocery to the Village

I can see home values easily increasing about $5 sq/ft in the immediate vicinity, possibly more. Its a big amenity to add on a listing.

Quote Originally Posted by CloudDeckMedia View Post
    Here's a brief video we shot of the Uptown Grocery. Hope you enjoy.
    https://vimeo.com/154774163
    Wow, awesome.

Thanks so much for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Wow, awesome.

Thanks so much for sharing.
    Thanks, Pete. I look forward to sharing many more as we go forward.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Homeland could also be a good option, depending on what store you are near. The only really bad one left is the 18th and Classen location. The rest of the worst ones have closed or have been converted to Cash Saver.

At this point, the lack of quality grocery stores is still the biggest deal if you live in central OKC. Once one or more grocers decides to invest south of NW 63rd, a lot of what people complain about with the grocery stores here will be a thing of the past.
    It will be interesting to see how the potential new grocery store in the Gold Dome might fit in with that also.

We are now to the point were there are lots of good alternatives to the Walmart / Sam's stranglehold:

1. Uptown Market in Edmond, N. OKC, future NE OKC and Midtown
    2. Sprouts expanding and doing fantastic business
    3. Whole Foods
    4. Trader Joe's coming soon
    5. Aldi
    6. Natural Grocers
    7. Crest's newer stores are a step up
    8. Winco should start construction on all 4 sites this summer (just learned this)

Those are all pretty darn good options, all within the last couple of years.
    Aldi has been in OKC for more than just the last couple of years. I know for a fact that the one time I visited one in OKC had to be at least 6 or 7 years ago and they opened stores in the metro as early as 2003.

Went by there again today and the parking lot was pretty full but it's such a big place it didn't seem crowded and they had a ton of checkers; so many I walked right up without waiting. How often does that happen in most grocery stores?

This place is simply awesome. I have the feeling I'll go frequently even though I live nowhere near.

Have to agree that this store is a step up. My wife and I went last Saturday. Wide aisles, bright and airy everywhere, and lots of helpful staff. And the have Red Leicester cheese in the deli!!!!

9. Default Re: Uptown Grocery to the Village

Quote Originally Posted by rte66man View Post
    Have to agree that this store is a step up. My wife and I went last Saturday. Wide aisles, bright and airy everywhere, and lots of helpful staff. And the have Red Leicester cheese in the deli!!!!
    That's one small step for man, one giant leap for the OKC grocery scene.

Went by there again today and the parking lot was pretty full but it's such a big place it didn't seem crowded and they had a ton of checkers; so many I walked right up without waiting. How often does that happen in most grocery stores?

This place is simply awesome. I have the feeling I'll go frequently even though I live nowhere near.
    I've been in about 7 or 8 times since opening, and I have yet to stand in line at a checker. I'm sure they're overstaffing for the opening, but it's still nice.

I stopped by on Thursday. Not sure what to say other than it reminded me of a Whole Foods with the food line, but with white lighting and reasonable pricing.

However, I did buy some steak there at 11.49/lb cause I thought I wouldn't go anywhere else. Went to Sam's and they were having a sale on the same cut for 7.99/lb, and there was more of it.

I went here on Saturday before doing my normal shopping at the Homeland to see if I could pick up something good from the prepared foods to go with what I'm going to cook for myself for next week. The fried okra looked good so I filled up a container of that. OMG, the price was $9.00 for a modest container of fried okra. I won't be doing that again.

13. Default Re: Uptown Grocery to the Village

Aren't their prepared foods priced by the pound just like whole foods?

Quote Originally Posted by AP View Post
    Aren't their prepared foods priced by the pound just like whole foods?
    Yes, and didn't really pay attention to the weight until I realized I got a bit of white rice and one piece of grilled salmon for $11. Food was at least good.

Went yesterday after church to shop, was disappointed in the selection of some items (the only basil they had was four leaves for $5) but the deli food looked good. Place was a zoo though, navigated through the produce section was a nightmare.

15. Default Re: Uptown Grocery to the Village

I went today for the first time. The building itself is very nice and had a very good, bright atmosphere. For what I typically get at Whole Foods (veggies and meat) the prices were very similar and i think the selection at WF is much better. I would go back here for other dry items, but with it being so far away for me this won't make it on my regular rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by bradh View Post
    Yes, and didn't really pay attention to the weight until I realized I got a bit of white rice and one piece of grilled salmon for $11. Food was at least good.

Went yesterday after church to shop, was disappointed in the selection of some items (the only basil they had was four leaves for $5) but the deli food looked good. Place was a zoo though, navigated through the produce section was a nightmare.
    Paying by weight surprised me as the Edmond location let's you get a fairly good meal for a set price. Granted the Whole Foods weight design probably provides better profits, but I definitely would prefer getting an entree and two sides for $8.99 over $13 for my similar attempt by weight (mashed potatoes are heavy!)

Also, did anyone notice the guy near the rotisserie? Apparently he'll grill you any meat purchased in store. I'm totally going to try a steak just to see how well it works out.

My $9.00 container of fried okra looked great but it was tough, so no more of that for me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Uptown Grocery 20160216.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	4.32 MB 
ID:	12237
    Here's an aerial view from the southeast.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    My $9.00 container of fried okra looked great but it was tough, so no more of that for me.
    . . .wonder if it might have been dehydrated okra?? Can't imagine buying fried okra to eat later in the week. . . imho, it really doesn't reheat well (kind of like fried anything. . .). Plus, the price sounds about right for a container of dehydrated okra. . .and that IS and amazing snack food!!

Wow, I wonder if the food from the self-serve stations is more expensive than it is in the deli, because I got two good sized filets of their Teriyaki Salmon and a 16 oz container of roasted potatoes for $12.

Quote Originally Posted by foodiefan View Post
    . . .wonder if it might have been dehydrated okra?? Can't imagine buying fried okra to eat later in the week. . . imho, it really doesn't reheat well (kind of like fried anything. . .). Plus, the price sounds about right for a container of dehydrated okra. . .and that IS and amazing snack food!!
    Whatever it is, I won't be buying it again.

We went for the first time yesterday afternoon. I'll second what others have said about how nice, clean and bright it is. For us, the appeal of this store over Whole Foods is that, in addition to the great produce, meat and prepared foods, you get the core of the store with all the "regular" everyday-brand stuff. Glad it's open, just wish it was closer. I think I'll do the Pete model and go there early in the morning on weekdays right after I've dropped off the kiddo at school.

Quote Originally Posted by turnpup View Post
    We went for the first time yesterday afternoon. I'll second what others have said about how nice, clean and bright it is. For us, the appeal of this store over Whole Foods is that, in addition to the great produce, meat and prepared foods, you get the core of the store with all the "regular" everyday-brand stuff. Glad it's open, just wish it was closer. I think I'll do the Pete model and go there early in the morning on weekdays right after I've dropped off the kiddo at school.
    As a single guy, I love grocery stores with prepared foods. It's still cheaper than eating out and you get a well-balanced meal. When I wish for a quality grocery store in central OKC, prepared foods is a big part of that.

^^^^^

Yes, it's very, very handy. Everything looked fresh, and there was a good variety, too. We'll probably utilize it once a week or so.

Don't forget that Ingrid's built a central bakery quite literally across the street from sprouts. Excellent baked goods and you can just walk across the street when you visit sprouts. Which has decent bread. But it's so much nicer to get a loaf that was baked that morning from ingrids. They do hot & cold sandwiches too.

Thread Information