Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Cabela's

Default Re: Cabela's

The name of the place that is now Gold's Gym was Outdoor Warehouse or something Warehouse. As far as Cabela's I like their clothing and footwear. They seem to have better paddling stuff. If you canoe or kayak it's a better place. It will be closer to me so I'll hang out there. Bargain Cave, yes!!

2. Default Re: Cabela's

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Frittergirl, I seriously doubt Cabela's will hold much more interest for you than Bass Pro. Frankly, I went into the BP in Bricktown once and never returned. Just not my kind of place.

REI on the otherhand is a whole different breed of cat. And for that reason, I think they would do great in OKC and provide the market something different.
    Yeah, no offense to anyone salivating over Cabela's but you could Photoshop a Bass Pro sign over the Cabela's sign in those photos and it would be largely indistinguishable.

Quote Originally Posted by oklip955 View Post
    The name of the place that is now Gold's Gym was Outdoor Warehouse or something Warehouse. As far as Cabela's I like their clothing and footwear. They seem to have better paddling stuff. If you canoe or kayak it's a better place. It will be closer to me so I'll hang out there. Bargain Cave, yes!!
    Sportsman's Warehouse

4. Default Re: Cabela's

I am looking forward to Cabela's I like bass pro over Academy by far so far. I love their selection of hunting and shooting supplies. They are more of an outdoor store as well for me. By that I mean I am not looking for soccer, baseball basketball equipment; I am a customer for hunting fishing and shooting. I buy most of my firearms there as well. Their staff seem to really know their stuff.

Ben Felder is live tweeting the city council meeting and had this to tweet: "Shadid questioning $3M tax subsidies for Cabela's. Calls it 'extortion' for city to be forced to give money to keep biz in town. 'This is basically bullies on the school ground wanting our money'."

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    Ben Felder is live tweeting the city council meeting and had this to tweet: "Shadid questioning $3M tax subsidies for Cabela's. Calls it 'extortion' for city to be forced to give money to keep biz in town. 'This is basically bullies on the school ground wanting our money'."
    I tend to agree with that.

Doesn't the city have funds to get businesses to come here? How does that usually work? Do they just offer an amount they think would be acceptable and let the offer/counter offer begin or does the business say they want $XXX,XXX to build a store and won't do it without it?

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Yeah, no offense to anyone salivating over Cabela's but you could Photoshop a Bass Pro sign over the Cabela's sign in those photos and it would be largely indistinguishable.
    Same could be said for Costco. It's pretty much the same as Sam's, which we have a lot of around here. But someone hear's a rumor that we'll get a Costco here and everyone loses their freaking mind over it.

Now, school me on how much better and different Costco is than Sam's. I know you're dying to. But yeah, it's pretty much a photocopy of Sam's.

Incentives are an important tool but I'm not so sure this is a good use of $3.5 million in tax dollars:

1) Cabela's will not bring anything truly new to the marketplace.
    2) We already paid $20 million to Bass Pro and this store will no doubt cannibalize some of their sales as well as Academy and Dick's (who are not subsidized).
    3) There were zero signs Cabela's looked outside of the OKC city limits.
    4) Cabela's had pretty much finalized their deal at Chisholm Creek long before the incentives were formally put on the table.
    5) Sets a precedent for the many chain retailers now looking at OKC; they will all have their hand out now.
    6) Unfair to existing retailers who invested in the market without incentives; now have to compete against subsidized competitors.

Regarding #'s 3 & 4, I heard that Cabela's was coming about a year ago and I don't think they seriously considered another location. Where would they go instead? Moore would probably be the only realistic option outside the city limits and I doubt very seriously Cabela's would rather be there than on Memorial.

I have heard good things about the Sportsman Warehouse…. Has anyone ever been?
    Supposedly they don’t operate with the same high priced overhead displays that Cabela's and Bass Pro have.

I have made several purchase of extreme cold weather gear from Cabela’s.
    They do seem to offer much better extreme cold weather gear than Bass Pro.

Quote Originally Posted by ou48A View Post
    I have made several purchase of extreme cold weather gear from Cabela’s.
    They do seem to offer much better extreme cold weather gear than Bass Pro.
    That's nice. I will be going there then seeing as I need to get some nice winter gear.

Incentives are an important tool but I'm not so sure this is a good use of $3.5 million in tax dollars:

2) We already paid $20 million to Bass Pro and this store will no doubt cannibalize some of their sales as well as Academy and Dick's (who are not subsidized).
    4) Cabela's had pretty much finalized their deal at Chisholm Creek long before the incentives were formally put on the table.
    5) Sets a precedent for the many chain retailers now looking at OKC; they will all have their hand out now.
    6) Unfair to existing retailers who invested in the market without incentives; now have to compete against subsidized competitors.

Regarding #'s 3 & 4, I heard that Cabela's was coming about a year ago and I don't think they seriously considered another location. Where would they go instead? Moore would probably be the only realistic option outside the city limits and I doubt very seriously Cabela's would rather be there than on Memorial.
    I tend to agree with this sentiment. I was disappointed to see the corporate welfare. I guess there is still a chance the council doesn't approve it?

I have heard good things about the Sportsman Warehouse…. Has anyone ever been?
    Supposedly they don’t operate with the same high priced overhead displays that Cabela's and Bass Pro have.
    We have one here in Thornton, mostly hunting and camping in a plain building. It is more on par with Gander Mountain (merchandise) and Academy (finish level) than Cabela's/Bass Pro, less clothes than the rest of them. All of them have pretty good food prep sections (mostly smoking/grilling supplies).

I wish we had Academy up here, whenever I go back to OKC or Texas I end up buying a pair of athletic shoes there because they have a great selection of wide sizes which are hard to find up here. I have bought some at the local big & tall store but I am on the bottom end of the sizes they stock so the selection is limited.

I agree 100%.

Agree with this.

Incentives should only be given to retailers who either A) bring something new to the metro or B) wouldn't come here without them. For instance, incentives for Costco would be a good idea because it definitely fits A and possible also B. Cabela's fits neither. They will cannibalize Bass Pro and Dick's, both which offer the same products, and they would be coming here with or without the incentives.

If the City is going to offer incentives then they need to put out an RFP for it because this is getting out of hand. The City should just say "we are going to offer $3.5 million incentives for a sporting goods retailer consisting of 80,000 sq feet or larger" and let the sporting goods companies out there give us their best proposals.

Another alternative is that all the cities in metro OKC agree to share sales taxes. This is done in metro Minneapolis/St Paul which prevents them from having to go through this process.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    We have one here in Thornton, mostly hunting and camping in a plain building. It is more on par with Gander Mountain (merchandise) and Academy (finish level) than Cabela's/Bass Pro, less clothes than the rest of them. All of them have pretty good food prep sections (mostly smoking/grilling supplies).

I wish we had Academy up here, whenever I go back to OKC or Texas I end up buying a pair of athletic shoes there because they have a great selection of wide sizes which are hard to find up here. I have bought some at the local big & tall store but I am on the bottom end of the sizes they stock so the selection is limited.
    Thanks…..
    It can be frustrating when you have a big and tall situation.
    I have a 4E x 12 size foot. The more expensive New Balance shoe is about the only shoe I can wear with any degree of comfort.
    I usually make the drive to the New Balance store in Edmond each summer.

Thanks…..
    It can be frustrating when you have a big and tall situation.
    I have a 4E x 12 size foot. The more expensive New Balance shoe is about the only shoe I can wear with any degree of comfort.
    I usually make the drive to the New Balance store in Edmond each summer.
    ditto, only 13s or 14s for me. You might try some Keen footwear if you don't need the look of a walking shoe for work. They have a roomy width. I've switched from a high end NB walker (MW928) to a Keen mid-weight hiking shoe as my daily footwear and I bought the Keens at Academy IIRC. My first pair of 14s. Comfy and more support than the walkers. I usually wear a 4E but I think these are Ds.

I wonder if lesser known Gander Mountain had made a deal with Chisholm Creek if they would have received this much, or any at all?

I hate subsidizing these companies too, especially since we are supposedly in a "free market" red state. But in the end, its hard not to give incentives when others are willing to.

In the City Council debate, the point was made these incentives have only been used a few times to date: Bass Pro, Outlet Mall, Uptown Grocery on NE 23rd and Von Maur.

All of those were unique and new opportunities, at least at the time.

This deal doesn't seem to be any different than the scores of chain stores that have already come to the market or are considering doing so. It seems we've set a whole new precedent.

Now we are going to subsidize every new, big-box that opens on Memorial?

At least Whole Foods was subsidized by Chesapeake to come here...

In the City Council debate, the point was made these incentives have only been used a few times to date: Bass Pro, Outlet Mall, Uptown Grocery on NE 23rd and Von Maur.

All of those were unique and new opportunities, at least at the time.

This deal doesn't seem to be any different than the scores of chain stores that have already come to the market or are considering doing so. It seems we've set a whole new precedent.

Now we are going to subsidize every new, big-box that opens on Memorial?
    I completely agree. I don't see the point of incentivizing Cabela's. Incentives become a good option when a new retailer is looking at the market but for one reason or another won't take the plunge i.e. Costco or a downtown grocery store. The city can offer incentives to seal a deal that wouldn't otherwise get done. Is there anything out there indicating that if OKC didn't offer Cabela's the incentives, that they would possibly build in the suburbs or not come to the market at all?

With Cabelas and Chisholm Creek announcing this deal, that tells me there is probably an executed lease, and not just a LOI. Maybe there is something in the lease giving them an out if they dont get incentives but that seems unlikely. So if they do have a lease signed, meaning work is set to begin and they have to open, what incentive is needed now? Cabelas has already made their decision, which is backed by the lease. Wouldnt the city be giving a freebie if this were the case?

BTW, I know for a fact the City was working on incentives for Costco.

As much as I love Costco, I'm not sure incentives are appropriate for them, either.

The one difference is that they will likely open multiple locations and therefore might choose outside the city limits, but you know they will open on Memorial at some point, which is OKC.

As for the other locations, I doubt a few million is going to make a big difference to them in the grand scheme of things.

Thread Information