Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Good Bars

Default Re: Good Bars

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    Congrats on the move C.T.

Enjoy, but do not be a speed demon on the streets of your new home. And most definitely do not imbibe and drive.
    MWC has one of the strictest municipal court systems in which I've ever appeared.
    They are all as polite and professional as they can be, but it's really, really not a good town to find yourself in trouble.
    Kevin,
    I don't, and never have driven over the speed limit. Not a great law abiding citizen, I just don't want to spend money on tickets. I realize I started this link looking for bars, but in reality, when I go to a bar, I have two beers. Always large ones, but never more than two. Not looking for professional advice, but is that a problem for me? By the way, I avoid craft beers like Mustang Rocket Fuel, close to 10 percent alcohol. I like beer, but usually I have a few at home in the evening.
    C. T.

That's quite a tall order to expect Oklahoma to have a culture to support many good bars, since alcohol was banned from the state from statehood to 1959. Sometime after alcohol was repealed in 1933, 3.2% beer was declared a non intoxicating beverage but that only amounted to the height of ridiculousness. Is Oklahoma a crazy state, or what?

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    I don't, and never have driven over the speed limit. Not a great law abiding citizen, I just don't want to spend money on tickets. I realize I started this link looking for bars, but in reality, when I go to a bar, I have two beers. Always large ones, but never more than two. Not looking for professional advice, but is that a problem for me? By the way, I avoid craft beers like Mustang Rocket Fuel, close to 10 percent alcohol. I like beer, but usually I have a few at home in the evening.
    C. T.
    Stillwater brewed, Stilly Wheat is real good craft beer, while having 4% alcohol content. Much better tasting than mainstream cheap beer like Miller or Bud Lite.

Kevin,
    C. T.
    C.T.

Here is a decent drink calculator Drinking Calculator | Get Drunk Not Fat . However, there are many factors to consider that can affect the your actual b.a.c. level as well as the test result including weight, time frame consumed, metabolism, body fat composite. GERD, dentures, various medical conditions, and test administration issues. Another factor to consider is that Oklahoma has a lesser included offense of driving while impaired which is a result of .06/.07 with impaired driving. Not as serious as a DUI but will still get you arrested and car towed.

Two large beers doesn't tell a lot without knowing weight, alcohol content, time frame, even consumption over time frame, actual size of the beers, etc. I will insert shameless plug here for anyone wanting more technical information. The second edition of our new book was released this week. Oklahoma DUI Defense: The Law and Practice, Second Edition ? Lawyers & Judges Publishing Company, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    Stillwater brewed, Stilly Wheat is real good craft beer, while having 4% alcohol content. Much better tasting than mainstream cheap beer like Miller or Bud Lite.
    Bunty,
    I drink nothing but craft beer when I'm out. If they don't have it on tap, I don't go there. I do drink "domestics" at home though. I will look for Stilly Wheat, I hadn't heard of that one.
    C. T.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    C.T.

Here is a decent drink calculator Drinking Calculator | Get Drunk Not Fat . However, there are many factors to consider that can affect the your actual b.a.c. level as well as the test result including weight, time frame consumed, metabolism, body fat composite. GERD, dentures, various medical conditions, and test administration issues. Another factor to consider is that Oklahoma has a lesser included offense of driving while impaired which is a result of .06/.07 with impaired driving. Not as serious as a DUI but will still get you arrested and car towed.

Two large beers doesn't tell a lot without knowing weight, alcohol content, time frame, even consumption over time frame, actual size of the beers, etc. I will insert shameless plug here for anyone wanting more technical information. The second edition of our new book was released this week. Oklahoma DUI Defense: The Law and Practice, Second Edition ? Lawyers & Judges Publishing Company, Inc.
    Jeep,
    Thanks, I know better than to say "Two large beers". I understand most of the factors you mention, but probably not about the health issues like G. E. R. D., et al. I will go to the calculator and see what it says, but to clarify, I usually drink two 20-22 ounce glasses of 4.5-6.5 ABV and I sip on them for over an hour. If I happened to be where they only serve 3.2 (I seldom run into a place like that), I will probably have four sixteen ounce beers.
    Thanks for your help, I need all I can get. I did a lot of stupid drinking in my younger days (office parties mainly) and nothing ever happened, no tickets, not all luck, but I realized at the time I probably shouldn't be driving. Now here I am at age 72 (don't tell anybody!) and it would be ironic to be stopped for DUI or DWI. I don't care so much about the law, I just don't want to drive when I shouldn't be and hurt/kill myself or others. And if I did have a little too much, I would call a cab, or my sons.
    C. T.

C.T., in a nutshell, what Jeep said.

I ran a couple of varieties I enjoy through the calculator he posted.
    I felt like it posted a bit light for someone my size (somewhere between Mighty Husky and Day-uummm.)

I tend to not drink at all if I will be driving afterwards, even lightly. Main reason is I am fairly convinced I burned up every last bit of luck and but for the grace of god moments back in my youth (yeah, I fit the young and dumb model way too well), and probably burned up some luck along the way that should have been reserved for others.

I'm a bit over cautious now and I know it, but for myself, over cautious beats towed vehicle and semi-shiny bracelets all day, everyday. But I also spend most evenings at home these days, so I am not really missing out on much at all.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    C.T., in a nutshell, what Jeep said.

I ran a couple of varieties I enjoy through the calculator he posted.
    I felt like it posted a bit light for someone my size (somewhere between Mighty Husky and Day-uummm.)

I tend to not drink at all if I will be driving afterwards, even lightly. Main reason is I am fairly convinced I burned up every last bit of luck and but for the grace of god moments back in my youth (yeah, I fit the young and dumb model way too well), and probably burned up some luck along the way that should have been reserved for others.

I'm a bit over cautious now and I know it, but for myself, over cautious beats towed vehicle and semi-shiny bracelets all day, everyday. But I also spend most evenings at home these days, so I am not really missing out on much at all.
    Kevin,
    I live alone (widower), and I enjoy visiting with the wait staff/bar tenders. I go once or twice a week, although that might change now that I have moved. I usually am running errands and around 12 to 1, I stop in and I'm home by 2:30. It's a little silly because it is fairly expensive. I spend over twenty dollars (with tip, normally a good one because I normally get great service) for two large beers. Retired and on a fixed income (depending on the market) it's not too smart but it's one of my "life's little pleasures". If my wife were still with me, I wouldn't go out to have a beer unless I was meeting a friend and that wouldn't be a frequent occurrence.
    C. T.

Jeep and Kevin,
    Here are my results from the "Drinking Calculator". I wonder how many ounces per beer they are assuming. I suspect that my 22 ounce beer is a little more, but I think I'm still in good condition.
    C. T.

After having 2 1554 Enlightened Black Ale drink(s) in 1.5 hours, your Blood Alcohol Level is 0.008

Level of Drunkeness: Sober

You have consumed 396 calories

Jeep and Kevin,
    Here are two runs with the calculator. First is with two beers and the second with four. Since I drink 20-22 ounce beers, I also doubled the number of beers to four. If they are assuming 12 ounce cans, I drink just shy of four of them.
    C. T.

After having 2 1554 Enlightened Black Ale drink(s) in 1.5 hours, your Blood Alcohol Level is 0.008

Level of Drunkeness: Sober

You have consumed 396 calories

After having 4 1554 Enlightened Black Ale drink(s) in 1.5 hours, your Blood Alcohol Level is 0.038

Level of Drunkeness: Buzzed: Relaxation, euphoria, lower inhibitions, minor impairment and reasoning and memory, exaggerated emotions (good and bad)

You have consumed 792 calories

Well, I have been here for about two weeks and have tried beer at three places. Old Chicago, typical with a nice selection of craft beer, S&B's Burger Joint, a good selection of craft beer, The Rib Crib (went with family for lunch) and had a sour Sam Adams which after two swallows I gave it back to them. They apologized and replaced it with a bottle of Sam Adams. It happens and besides, I didn't really go there for the beer. And today, I went to Cheddar's. Disappointing selection of draft beer. They had three, Bud, Bud Light, and Sam Adams. The bar tender said they are going to expand the draft selection. But I had two Large (23 ounce) Sam Adams and spent $12.45 (before tip) and the same beer at Old Chicago in a 20 ounce mug cost over $20 for two of them before tip. If they do expand, it will be my go to place. I need to try Chili's, and return to The Garage. I like The Garage, but I don't remember their selection. I've only been to one of their places a couple of times.

Well, I have been here for about two weeks and have tried beer at three places. Old Chicago, typical with a nice selection of craft beer, S&B's Burger Joint, a good selection of craft beer, The Rib Crib (went with family for lunch) and had a sour Sam Adams which after two swallows I gave it back to them. They apologized and replaced it with a bottle of Sam Adams. It happens and besides, I didn't really go there for the beer. And today, I went to Cheddar's. Disappointing selection of draft beer. They had three, Bud, Bud Light, and Sam Adams. The bar tender said they are going to expand the draft selection. But I had two Large (23 ounce) Sam Adams and spent $12.45 (before tip) and the same beer at Old Chicago in a 20 ounce mug cost over $20 for two of them before tip. If they do expand, it will be my go to place. I need to try Chili's, and return to The Garage. I like The Garage, but I don't remember their selection. I've only been to one of their places a couple of times.
    There's a pizza place (me pizza or something like that) by teds on sooner and I-40 that serves four different (rotating) craft beers on tap. Mostly local stuff. The pizza is pretty good as well. I forget the prices.

I have been living in the Mid-Del area now for almost a month and I have tried most of the bars I felt would be good for me. The one exception, I didn't try Chequers because they didn't have scooter access to the bar and it was really a small place to motivate on my scooter. My opinion, for craft beer (draft) selection, Old Chicago was the best with The Garage second. BWW, Henry Hudson's, and S&B were all fair. Cheddar's only had Sam Adam's, but it was really cheap for a 23 ounce glass. That's it so far. I haven't tried Chili's, no reason, just haven't been there yet. By the way, any of you Mid-Del folks remember "Lefty's"?
    C. T.

Today I stopped by the new Bamboo Room at 800 S. Air Depot. They had four draft beers, two "domestic" and Shock Top and Pacifico. Not great, but Shock top was decent and the price is great, $2 for a 16 ounce beer. A little smoky even though I enjoy second hand smoke, but I will probably go back. Not a "Nice" place, kind of a dive but quiet enough and friendly. The bartender is about to pop, probably only a month to go.
    C. T.

. . . . . . snip
    By the way, any of you Mid-Del folks remember "Lefty's"?
    C. T.
    If you're talking about Lefty's Cafe at SE 29th and Vickie, I do. I worked for a guy that lived in Del City and we ate lunch there once in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by woodyrr View Post
    . . . . . . snip

If you're talking about Lefty's Cafe at SE 29th and Vickie, I do. I worked for a guy that lived in Del City and we ate lunch there once in a while.
    Actually, I'm thinking of a bar, maybe I have forgotten the name, I don't think it was Lefty's Cafe. It's been a long time, late 60's and I think it closed in the early to mid 70's.
    C. T.

Belated welcome to MWC, C.T.!
    Lived in original square mile for 32 years - it's the metro area's best kept secret on a great place to live.

Quote Originally Posted by Lauri101 View Post
    Belated welcome to MWC, C.T.!
    Lived in original square mile for 32 years - it's the metro area's best kept secret on a great place to live.
    Lauri,
    Thanks, so, what are the boundaries of the "original square mile"?
    C. T.

Lauri,
    C. T.
    I am sure Ill be corrected if wrong but I have always understood the original square mile to be 29th to 15th and Air Depot to Midwest Blvd. I lived on Myrtle Lane all during high school

Lauri,
    C. T.
    C.T. - OSM bordered by Air Depot on west, Midwest Blvd on east, SE 15 and SE 29 on north and south, respectively. It's a nice little neighborhood, with confusing streets to outsiders or new residents. My only beef is no sidewalks, but other than that, it reminds me of "the good old days"!

Quote Originally Posted by Lauri101 View Post
    C.T. - OSM bordered by Air Depot on west, Midwest Blvd on east, SE 15 and SE 29 on north and south, respectively. It's a nice little neighborhood, with confusing streets to outsiders or new residents. My only beef is no sidewalks, but other than that, it reminds me of "the good old days"!
    Lauri,
    Thanks, I have to admit I hate the naming of the streets. As friendly as it might seem, it is totally baffling to anyone not raised in the area.
    C. T.

Today's DOK has a good article regarding the "Original Mile". This is the first part of the article.
    C. T.

MIDWEST CITY — Efforts to revitalize Midwest City’s Original Mile continue, and an advisory committee has been established to help direct future projects.

The Original Mile, bounded by Air Depot Boulevard, Midwest Boulevard, SE 15 and SE 29, was created in the early 1940s to serve the newly formed Tinker Air Force Base with housing for military families.

Today's DOK has a good article regarding the "Original Mile". This is the first part of the article.
    C. T.

It was a nice, fluffy article with little information, as usual. Since this so-called revitalization began, there have been no opportunities for any residents (other than the 4 people on the committee) to weigh in. The ideas presented so far say nothing about much needed sidewalks or street widening. A park will be nice, but really unnecessary if they would just clean up and refresh existing green space.

Once the new mayor, Matt Dukes, gets in office, I'm going to hit him up for better communication about the various OSM projects. I'm excited to have Matt as our new mayor - we can definitely raise the bar in MWC!

I currently live in the square mile. My grandparents moved here with my mom in the late 50s and have lived here since. Amen on the sidewalks. I wouldn't mind at all if they just spend all the money on sidewalks and nothing else.

I looked up the "Your Pie" place over on Main and they talk about being craft beer oriented and local craft beer particularly, has anybody been there?
    C. T.

Thread Information