Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Oklahoma courting TESLA's Battery Factory project?

Default Re: Is Oklahoma courting TESLA's Battery Factory project?

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    Because its too late to push for it the final cuts have already been made. You can't push when they already passed on Oklahoma.
    No. We need to keep pushing until a contract is signed w/ the other city.

"nothing is over until we decide it is".

Quote Originally Posted by Paseofreak View Post
    It seems as though Oklahoma was never in the running and it appears to me that this selection process was a private effort, entirely within the offices of Tesla until the four finalists were announced. Also, Albuquerque is 550 miles closer to where each and every one of those batteries need to go than central Oklahoma. That's not an insignificant cost.
    If San Antonio is still in the "viable options" column ( and not too far from other assembly plants ), then OKC should be an option as well.

Oklahoma has a very low cost structure in "labor" w/ no labor unions. We have plently of available land that is accessible and flat, windy, and plenty of sunshine.

Quote Originally Posted by OKVision4U View Post

lol ok. Sure.

With the anti-solar, anti-wind, mind set of the legislature penalizing and discouraging those from hooking up their homes, the state government here has given a big middle finger to those and other technologies that are encouraging a shift from fossil fuels. Why would Tesla want their name associated with Oklahoma?

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    With the anti-solar, anti-wind, mind set of the legislature penalizing and discouraging those from hooking up their homes, the state government here has given a big middle finger to those and other technologies that are encouraging a shift from fossil fuels. Why would Tesla want their name associated with Oklahoma?
    A project of this magnitude, could be the catalyst that brings Oklahoma into an " All Inclusive " mind-set. Oklahoma should be a state that capitalizes on All its resources.... Wind / Solar / O&G / Agr. and still can reach out and take control of the future economic opportunities that are available today. ( ie Tesla , High Speed Rail ).

A project of this magnitude, could be the catalyst that brings Oklahoma into an " All Inclusive " mind-set. Oklahoma should be a state that capitalizes on All its resources.... Wind / Solar / O&G / Agr. and still can reach out and take control of the future economic opportunities that are available today. ( ie Tesla , High Speed Rail ).
    You'll drop this when Tesla announces the location and OK isn't in it, right? Please?

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    You'll drop this when Tesla announces the location and OK isn't in it, right? Please?
    ...and you're saying we shouldn't make a run at it?

You're not the brightest bulb, are you?

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Josh, are having an issue w/ ( "keep pushing until a contact is signed" or "nothing is over until we decide it is" ) ? ...enlighten me.

Josh, in the Big business world, we keep pushing until the contract is signed. We don't just "assume" that our competition has the contract. ....I'm gonna move past this. ( kinda self explanitory to all the people over 21 and in the work-place. )

"Nothing is over until we decide it is" ... is a quote from Animal House. "was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? ...and it ain't over now"

Josh, ... I think we just learned about "wattage" regarding you. Thanks for play'n.

What does that have to do with anything? There is nothing wrong with having enthusiasm for things and quite honestly, he is right. I find it hilarious some posters on here are acting like experts claiming they know Tesla isn't coming to Oklahoma like they have inside info or something. What are the chances Tesla comes here? Slim, very slim.... but OKVision is correct in saying we shouldn't just give up until papers have been signed and they are breaking ground. I'm sure you very well know, things can change at the last second and plan b or even c can be necessary.

Josh, are having an issue w/ ( "keep pushing until a contact is signed" or "nothing is over until we decide it is" ) ? ...enlighten me.
    Because that's how things work. To put it bluntly, and no offense, you live in a fantasy land.

Josh, in the Big business world, we keep pushing until the contract is signed. We don't just "assume" that our competition has the contract. ....I'm gonna move past this. ( kinda self explanitory to all the people over 21 and in the work-place. )

"Nothing is over until we decide it is" ... is a quote from Animal House. "was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? ...and it ain't over now"

Josh, ... I think we just learned about "wattage" regarding you. Thanks for play'n.
    Your rhetoric is neither cute or clever.

Because that's how things work. To put it bluntly, and no offense, you live in a fantasy land.
    Josh, you sound like someone that is already defeated. The fantasy land you reference is called "optimism". It is called determination.

Josh, I'm ok with not getting this contract, but I'm not ok with sitting on the sidelines and watching the other cites have an opportunity at the largest economic project in the US right now!

I'm telling you how things work in the real world. There are public deals, private deals, under-the-table deals, and everything in between, and this is why we need to have our "Best Proposal" ready at all times. You never know when that call may come. ...and Plu Pan is exactly right, things change at the last second.

Tesla Motors Inc. (TSLA)’s Elon Musk said the need for lower-cost batteries for autos and power storage means there will need to be hundreds of “gigafactories” like the one the carmaker is planning to build.

As carmakers increase demand for batteries “there’s going to need to be lots of gigafactories. Just to supply auto demand you need 200 gigafactories,” he said.

Musk Sees Need for Hundreds of Battery ?Gigafactories? - Bloomberg

There's a chance for Oklahoma !

Quote Originally Posted by blangtang View Post
    Tesla Motors Inc. (TSLA)’s Elon Musk said the need for lower-cost batteries for autos and power storage means there will need to be hundreds of “gigafactories” like the one the carmaker is planning to build.

As carmakers increase demand for batteries “there’s going to need to be lots of gigafactories. Just to supply auto demand you need 200 gigafactories,” he said.

I thought "Josh" already said this is a dead-end. hmmm????

Quote Originally Posted by blangtang View Post

I doubt the oil companies and their lobbyists would be happy about that.

I thought "Josh" already said this is a dead-end. hmmm????
    I don't think you understood what I said not what Musk was saying. He's exaggeratedly speaking about distant future demand. Not now and not in the near future.

Unless you believe he's going to spend 1 trillion dollars to build 200 giga factories to fill a demand that isn't there and won't be there for 50 years or so. And if you think these hypothetical 200 giga factories will be scattered all over America, then you have no idea how costs goes into this decisions.

I'm not sure you process reality at a rational level.

Tesla eyeing 700 acres in southern Dallas for $5B Gigafactory

Tesla eyeing 700 acres in southern Dallas for $5B gigafactory - Dallas Business Journal

Sigh... Dallas is really expanding with some great tech companies down there. So jealous.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Sigh... Dallas is really expanding with some great tech companies down there. So jealous.
    To be fair, I don't think the final decision has been made. I have heard that the plant will be as close to CA as possible, if not in CA outright. But it is a bit disappointing that this state is not contending. Obviously every business will have different needs but if i were a betting man I doubt OK even reached out.

OKC and the local leadership here has been great at getting business expansions, but damn could they get a little help from the state?

This is exactly what I'm saying. They are looking for a Central US location that can support their next generation distribution. Go back to what I said... they want flat, open, close to rail, wind generation potential, ....hello central Oklahoma.

Now, Ms Fallin, where are you on this? ....Mr. Cornett this needs to be the next Thunder brought to our area. Don't tell me Oklahoma can't because we are too " Oil Leaning" state.... they are looking at Texas.

We need a big push here now!

Tesla eyeing 700 acres in southern Dallas for $5B gigafactory - Dallas Business Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    This.

There's a penalty for being in the back pockets of the oil companies. New Mexico is much less. But as far as flat lands and winds both states are about equal.

Is Tesla really going to be successful?

Thread Information