Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Ambassador Hotel

Default Re: The Osler

There is already tons of parking there. I don't think they would have to build a garage before they redeveloped the Osler.

Plus, the units at 430 NW 12th will have nice, new decks on south side of the third floor. I'm sure they wouldn't have added that element if they were going to obstruct the view with a big parking structure immediately south.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    There is already tons of parking there. I don't think they would have to build a garage before they redeveloped the Osler.

Plus, the units at 430 NW 12th will have nice, new decks on south side of the third floor. I'm sure they wouldn't have added that element if they were going to obstruct the view with a big parking structure immediately south.
    a good portion of the space behind 430/1212 is currently used by walker st shops employees and customers ..

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    a good portion of the space behind 430/1212 is currently used by walker st shops employees and customers ..
    Yes but if the owners wanted to use that parking for their own buildings, that would be easy to make happen.

Looking at the aerial, I would estimate they can park 150 cars back there, which you would think would be more than enough for their three buildings.

Yes but if the owners wanted to use that parking for their own buildings, that would be easy to make happen.

Looking at the aerial, I would estimate they can park 150 cars back there, which you would think would be more than enough for their three buildings.
    it is the same owners .. midtown Ren are the landlords for the Walker Shops

I see... Well, I bet 150 spaces would still be plenty.

I see... Well, I bet 150 spaces would still be plenty.
    it will be interesting to see their strategy ... one great thing is that the renovation of 1212 (and the restaurant space on the street), the osler, and 430 12th will make parking behind the buildings "seem" safer ..

Does anyone really think parking anywhere in Midtown isn't safe?

I am probably the most fit/biggest person on here and I get a little uneasy over by the Palo Duro/Hudson Tattoo place some times. A lot of sketchy people over there

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    the perception is still there behind those buildings ... but i will say that it has gotten better and will continue to

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    No less safe than parking at the mall.

I lived at Claremont right last year and never felt unsafe once.

Quote Originally Posted by KilgoreTrout View Post
    I lived at Claremont right last year and never felt unsafe once.
    i agree with you .. i live a block away .. but from those the eat and work at stella/1492/louie's that perception is there

Quote Originally Posted by wschnitt View Post
    I am probably the most fit/biggest person on here and I get a little uneasy over by the Palo Duro/Hudson Tattoo place some times. A lot of sketchy people over there
    Isn't the Palo Duro subsidized elderly housing? Do all of the sketchy people seem to be coming in and out of the tattoo place?

i agree with you .. i live a block away .. but from those the eat and work at stella/1492/louie's that perception is there
    Unfortunately, people's perceptions don't always match reality (e.g., people who have lived in the area have encountered no problems). A lot of people are scared of people that look different from them. We keep mentioning sketchy people, but is there evidence of them doing anything actually sketchy? Or do a lot of the subrubanites that frequent Midtown not yet used to the diveristy that comes from an urban environment.

Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post
    No less safe than parking at the mall.
    Likely far safer than some.

Quote Originally Posted by mcca7596 View Post
    Isn't the Palo Duro subsidized elderly housing? Do all of the sketchy people seem to be coming in and out of the tattoo place?
    Palo Duro is a halfway house and has some interesting but pretty harmless characters. There is an assisted living center off of 12th and Harvey. I think the tattoo place has closed and there is a church that meets in that adjoining storefront. The ironic thing is that within a block of these places is some of the highest renting apartments in the city (the Sieber) so it can't be too bad.

Every now and again you will see a bum pushing a shopping cart around midtown but nothing more. Honestly I see more homeless people panhandling off of NW Expressway than I've seen in Midtown. Rightly or wrongly most homeless in this city have been pushed west of Classen.

Remember this is OKC, not at much larger city like Chicago, were even in the Gold Coast you have to worry about homeless people screaming at you or taking dookies on your front stoop (take it from personal experience.)

palo duro is section 8 serving mostly those with mental disorders .. the Wesley village at 12th and Harvey is section 8 senior housing

Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post
    Palo Duro is a halfway house and has some interesting but pretty harmless characters. There is an assisted living center off of 12th and Harvey. I think the tattoo place has closed and there is a church that meets in that adjoining storefront. The ironic thing is that within a block of these places is some of the highest renting apartments in the city (the Sieber) so it can't be too bad.

Every now and again you will see a bum pushing a shopping cart around midtown but nothing more. Honestly I see more homeless people panhandling off of NW Expressway than I've seen in Midtown. Rightly or wrongly most homeless in this city have been pushed west of Classen.

Remember this is OKC, not at much larger city like Chicago, were even in the Gold Coast you have to worry about homeless people screaming at you or taking dookies on your front stoop (take it from personal experience.)
    the tattoo shop is still open .. it is and has been by apt only

Thanks for the info.

I had a nice conversation with a person from the Palo Duro last week as I was walking to lunch. I am still not sure what we were talking about but the guy seemed harmless enough. Ironically I think he was telling me how much safer he felt here than in Dallas. His car was stolen 3 times in a week or something like that. I'm not even sure he owns a car or if he knew exactly where he was.

This thread has me laughing out loud. I've never felt unsafe in Downtown or Midtown OKC. The thought of being scared behind Cafe do Brasil is beyond ridiculous and laughably absurd.

I've spent time on some mean streets in other US cities, when I was genuinely and understandably freaked out, and I can't fathom feeling that way in the inner-city hoods of OKC.

I'm sure there are some places in Northeast OKC or weird sections of Classen Ten-Penn where I wouldn't feel comfy walking around late at night, but Midtown is certainly not one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    This thread has me laughing out loud. I've never felt unsafe in Downtown or Midtown OKC. The thought of being scared behind Cafe do Brasil is beyond ridiculous and laughably absurd.

I've spent time on some mean streets in other US cities, when I was genuinely and understandably freaked out, and I can't fathom feeling that way in the inner-city hoods of OKC.

I'm sure there are some places in Northeast OKC or weird sections of Classen Ten-Penn where I wouldn't feel comfy walking around late at night, but Midtown is certainly not one of them.
    no one was talking about behind Cafe do Brasil ..

no one was talking about behind Cafe do Brasil ..
    OK. But the point is still the same. I've never felt unsafe walking around Midtown.

There is some sort of drug addiction assistance or job placement place south of the Asian restaurant and just north of the tattoo place that is busy at 6:40 in the morning. I bike past there every morning and there is always someone who motivates me to pedal a bit faster.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post

I agree with you. Almost 100% of the time OKC is great. I am simply saying there is a stead stream of people in midtown in a particular area early in the morning when it is dark that leaves me feeling a bit uneasy.

Im not talking about night time. Im talking about super early in the morning.

Thread Information