Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Molly Murphy's

1. Default Re: Molly Murphy's

Funny this thread started when it did - I was just over in Molly's old part of town the other day an began thinking back to it. While I was young when it was around, I always thought it was the most fascinating, interesting, frightening (for a young kid) and great places in OKC.

Great times and would love to have it around again.

Default Re: Molly Murphy's

My eldest is now older than I was when I first enjoyed Molly's in Tulsa. Come to think on it, so is my second child.

The more I think on this today, I'm convinced .... they need the Molly's experience too!

Someone in Medford, Oregon tried opening a Molly Murphy's there. It didn't last more than 2 years. From what I heard, it didn't have quite the atmosphere as our beloved Molly's had. As the Web Admin for Molly Murphy's Website of Fine Repute, the number one question I get asked is "When is it going to re-open?"

I think it could be successful as "Everything old is new again". I know a contingent of former "Molly's Kids" would love to help train a wait staff, and even make "guest appearances" to make sure that the restaurant had the prominence it once had.

Unhappy Re: Molly Murphy's

As a former OKC Molly's employee, I think the public needs to have Molly's reopened.
    I agree with the poster who said "the public it too thin skinned" for such an experience today.
    Goodness knows, I remember those diners who didn't appreciate everything I did in an attempt to give them a good time.
    But, even so. I think the majority of people who would come out, would enjoy getting away from the politically correct world we are forced to face everyday.
    There's nothing like a Molly Murphy's experience.

I remember going to this place and winning a dance competition or something. But maybe I just won bc it was my birthday, anywho it was alot of fun!!!

6. Default Re: Molly Murphy's

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    Molly's run coincided with my own adolescence and young adulthood and I was there many times - even before my prom if you can believe it. Also had two good friends that worked there for quite a while.

As much as it was a part of 1970's OKC scene (and a good part of the 80's, too) it had simply run it's course as did the many similar themed restaurants of that era.

And BTW, I believe the concept and execution (right down to the menu and salad car) were lifted from The Magic Time Machine in the Dallas area, which is still operating. Perhaps Molly's came first, but I don't think so:

I've been to the Time Machine twice, and it can't hold a candle to the mayhem that was Molly Murphy's.

Quote Originally Posted by Chefdavies View Post
    I remember going to this place and winning a dance competition or something. But maybe I just won bc it was my birthday, anywho it was alot of fun!!!
    I won a vegetable war once, by dropping a green bean down a woman's dress from 30 feet....NOTHING BUT NET...ER...BOOB!

Hey...She started it with the roll.

I always thought Mollys was exclusive in OKC, they had one in Tulsa, or still have one in Tulsa? Were they nation a wide chain? i'm going to be disappointed if they were a nation wide chain. i never been to it, but have of course always heard about it. If they open back up, i would try it out. Bricktown would be perfect for it nowadays IMO.

The original was in OKC. The second one opened in Tulsa, and was only open for a number of years. YES it is an Oklahoma Original.

Does anyone remember the reason for the restaurant's closing? Seems there was a rumor about a "ghost" living in the attic and it turned out to be some homeless guy. Channel 4 did an expose' on it and there was a shoving match between reporter and owner. It closed shortly thereafter.

I might have my facts all screwed up. That's how I remember it going down. Can anyone confirm my recollections?

Baby Boomer Sooner

Not quite that romantic, but it was because the restaurant wasn't honoring a coupon, and it was Channel 4 that showed up. Both the owner of the restaurant and the reporter have passed on.

J Tayar blames that Ch 4 story for MM's demise, but I think Pete is right when he says the concept had simply run its course.

nah, good fun never goes out of style, or shouldn't
    ;^)
    Last edited by kevinpate; 05-11-2008 at 02:00 PM. Reason: typo

13. Default Re: Molly Murphy's

I don't think it had so much run it's course is that it was in the wrong part of town. Back when it was built, I-40 & Meridian seemed to be the place all the restaurants were locating. If it were along Memorial or in Bricktown (or downtown area) today, it would be thriving. I think business had decreased from the time of the oil bust, it was no longer in the "thought about location" for dinner, then the Channel 4 thing did it in.

I was still working at Molly's when the closing happened. My oh my the stories I could tell of that place.
    They would not honor a coupon is what brought the news out to the restaurant, but it is not what killed business. It was a legitimate excuse for them to go under. There were many many problems with that place and the family running it. But it was a wonderful idea and a great money maker. Under the right people - maybe at Lake Hefner, it would do really well. People traveled from all over this country just to eat there. I met several celebrities there. And am still friends with a lot of the cast of characters. Some of them are still as annoying as they were then.

15. Default Re: Molly Murphy's

I'd love to eat there. I never got to go there when they were open.

Default Molly Murphy's coming to Bricktown?

Molly Murphy's Website of Fine Repute

Will we ever see a Bricktown Molly Murphy's ??

All of the discussion about America's Pub, and people wanting something more unique to Bricktown, got me to thinking about earlier threads about Molly Murphy's.

Default re: Molly Murphy's coming to Bricktown?

I think that thread title needs a question mark.

Default re: Molly Murphy's coming to Bricktown?

You are right it does need a question mark. If the mods could please fix that for me.

Default Re: Molly Murphy's coming to Bricktown?

Ahh. Molly Murphy's! Great memories of that place. I recall making the mistake of asking my server (a guy dressed like a pirate) where the bathroom was located. Wow, talk about embarrassing as I was paraded to the bathroom with taunts and cheers. LOL! As for the bathroom ... well, the wallpaper was something any man would appreciate.

Yes, bring back Molly Murphy's and don't change a thing!

Bricktown is the perfect location for the Molly Murphy's rebirth. Their website has a poll question in regards to a new Molly Murphy's, there are quite a few votes already.

Place them right on the canal level where the water taxi's can go by and I could see the waiters / entertainers outside interacting with the people passing by. If done right there would be a seating reservation list for months in advance. Not to mention giving Bricktown that one of a kind type of place that keeps people coming back for more.

21. Default Re: Molly Murphy's coming to Bricktown?

I like the idea, but I fear folks are too thin-skinned nowadays and would be highly offended at some the shenanigans pulled there.

Aren't the dueling piano places a little on the same kind of entertainment? I have been to one before and the pianist's were all into pulling people out of the crowd and humiliating them. It still works if done right, just like it worked at Molly Murphy's.

I would also like to see the new Bricktown version of MM's have a large bar with the bartenders getting in on the act too. Even people sitting at the bar would be fair game.

Molly Murphy's would make a killing in Bricktown, especially with the NBA fever catapulting business even further in the district. Molly Murphy's is distinctly OKC and I really hope they reopen somewhere on the canal. I know they would have no problem attracting investors and seeing a poll on the MM website gives me hope that such a thing is being considered.
    ...this shortest straw has been pulled for you

Quote Originally Posted by AFCM View Post
    Molly Murphy's is distinctly OKC...
    Not really, it was another Bob Tayer copy of concept that others developed, like most of his restaurants were. It was a copy of The Magic Time Machine that still has locations in Dallas and San Antonio, the Austin location was closed about the time that I moved down here. I used to work with the architect in OKC who did most of the Tayer restaurants and he said they made many trips down here to get the concept copied.

I do think something similar would probably work in Bricktown.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    Not really, it was another Bob Tayer copy of concept that others developed, like most of his restaurants were. It was a copy of The Magic Time Machine that still has locations in Dallas and San Antonio, the Austin location was closed about the time that I moved down here. I used to work with the architect in OKC who did most of the Tayer restaurants and he said they made many trips down here to get the concept copied.

I do think something similar would probably work in Bricktown.
    I understand the concept and even design may be similar to others in different cities, but Molly Murphy's was Oklahoma City-based and existed only within the borders of the Sooner State. By "distinctly OKC", I'm referring to a business that is synonymous with Oklahoma City, unlike the chain establishments we typically see in Bricktown.

I apologize for any misconceptions. Due to its likelihood of being inferred in many ways, "distinctly OKC" may have been a poor choice of words on my behalf.
    ...this shortest straw has been pulled for you

Thread Information