Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567

Thread: Del Rancho

Default Re: Del Rancho

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    huh... did not know that south western was where they got their start... thanks!
    Martin,
    When I was young, I used to eat at the Ranch House fairly often. The lady that managed it told me her husband opened it to give her something to do. It was successful and at this point I don't know the whole story but they started the Del Rancho stores.
    C. T.

2. Default Re: Del Rancho

Went to The Dining Room (formerly Del Rancho) in Moore the other day with a friend. We would eat there when it was a Del Rancho about once a month or so and considered it the best Del Rancho around by far.

We wanted to give the new branding a try....

Place pretty much still looks the same with some updating of paint and basic decor. Surprisingly the phones at the table are still present. I guess I always figured they were leased as part of the Del Rancho branding concept.

I have to say, the steak sandwich was as good or better than under the Del Rancho recipe. Steak itself was huge and dwarfed the bun. The breading was a bit thinner (my preference) but noticeably more 'peppery' (as in black pepper). The meat itself was very tender and juicy.

I did the onion rings - pretty the same as previously - but, still my favorite. Very crunchy with lots of flavor in the breading.

My friend had the fries. They were a bit different than before (as good or better) and cooked well done - my preference.

The owner came up to our table and talked to us both before we ordered and after we had eaten - really nice lady with a unique look. Gave us the short version of the decision to drop the Del Rancho branding.

Personally, I think it was a positive move and we will keep this place on our rotation.

*A note on the 'peppery' breading. The owner said several people had mentioned this and either loved it (as my friend did) or were not a huge fan. I didn't mind it. She said she is still tweeking the recipe and has used less pepper each time and is about where she wants it.

I've always been surprised Del Rancho didn't get bigger than what it is... I guess maybe that wasn't their management's goal? I've always liked their food better than the other big drive-in chain.

Quote Originally Posted by Questor View Post
    I've always been surprised Del Rancho didn't get bigger than what it is... I guess maybe that wasn't their management's goal? I've always liked their food better than the other big drive-in chain.
    Some of their places in the older parts of the city really started to get run down and weren't getting much business.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRT View Post
    Some of their places in the older parts of the city really started to get run down and weren't getting much business.
    I think the appearances of some of their locations started to scare people away. Some got really run down and some were in areas that were run down.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I think the appearances of some of their locations started to scare people away. Some got really run down and some were in areas that were run down.
    The Del Rancho on SW 59th and Agnew is a borderline eyesore. The place looks like its not even open; several of the OrderMatic stalls have no menu boards (just open shell), atop bent mounting poles, and the place looks ramshackled and unattended. I had to look very carefully at the front window to get any evidence that the place was actually in operation. That's not a place long for this world IMHO.

The success of Sonic and even Chicken Express tells me there's still an ample market for this style of service, so I don't think Del Rancho can blame their current fortunes and dilapidated stores solely on changing food tastes. And maybe there was some aspect of that involved in the Moore location dropping its franchise affiliation.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    The Del Rancho on SW 59th and Agnew is a borderline eyesore. The place looks like its not even open; several of the OrderMatic stalls have no menu boards (just open shell), atop bent mounting poles, and the place looks ramshackled and unattended. I had to look very carefully at the front window to get any evidence that the place was actually in operation. That's not a place long for this world IMHO.

The success of Sonic and even Chicken Express tells me there's still an ample market for this style of service, so I don't think Del Rancho can blame their current fortunes and dilapidated stores solely on changing food tastes. And maybe there was some aspect of that involved in the Moore location dropping its franchise affiliation.
    Exactly. There used to be one near 10th and Rockwell (somewhere around there) and it had just gone downhill appearance wise, but the food was still delicious.

8. Default Re: Del Rancho

When I dealt with Del Rancho management (about 18 years ago) it was run very poorly. When I was doing marketing and graphic design work they were a customer and I did their promotional foam, plastic and souvenir cups. They had zero direction for their promotions, no real measurable goals and really didn't seem to care. Wasn't shocked at all when I started seeing them close for good. The owners were simply living out of the till and that didn't last long.

Thread Information