Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tamazul

Western Ave. Tamazul

I couldn't find a previous separate thread about Tamazul. This a very nice article and video about their operation.

Mexican food gets a modern makeover at Tamazul in Oklahoma City | News OK

Default Re: Tamazul

It's very good. Try out the Mezcal cocktails.

Their cocktails are great, and it's very clean, light food generally. The tacos were awesome.

Had a business lunch there last Friday, it was very good and the service was great. Tried a few of their specialty salsas at the recommendation of my server and they were awesome. I will be back for dinner soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Chadanth View Post
    Their cocktails are great, and it's very clean, light food generally. The tacos were awesome.
    That they are, just a little pricey though.

It's pricey, but found the food, service and cocktails were top notch last night. Never had mezcal before last night, but loved the flavor. Definitely a "must try" in OKC

Interesting blurb from the oklahoman:

"Two weeks ago I wrote a story about his new Mexican restaurant Tamazul, describing it as a restaurant built to evolve. Little did I know that evolution was on the fast-track, two days after the story was published executive chef Ryan Parrott was let go. On Monday, sous chef Chris McKenna was pink-slipped."

And now this makes more sense:

"Chef Parrott has moved on to consult with WSKY Lounge, 228 NW 2 St., which is in the old Sage space."

Here is the whole article:

Turmoil at Tamazul: Chef Ryan Parrott Has Left the Building | News OK

Interesting. Our meals on Saturday were awesome

Damn this place! I never knew about Mezcal before this. Now it's my favorite spirit.

Excellent plant based food! Took forever for us to be served tho.

HangryHippo Guest

Whoa, this place is still open?

I'm surprised, too. They had a great concept and then knee-jerked. It's completely out of my rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveSkater View Post
    Damn this place! I never knew about Mezcal before this. Now it's my favorite spirit.

Excellent plant based food! Took forever for us to be served tho.
    Mezcal is fantastic.

Tamazul has closed. I hope the owners have a good plan in store for that space.

Quote Originally Posted by jbkrems View Post
    Tamazul has closed. I hope the owners have a good plan in store for that space.
    I'm not surprised.

only went once and enjoyed it, and the place was packed. hadn't been back though. hopefully we don't have to hear another "OKC isn't ready for this cuisine yet" tirade

Place was awful. So bland. So very bland.

I remember hearing Tucker's would be the last restaurant let in to Classen Curve. I am curious if that includes restaurants that replace other restaurants.

Quote Originally Posted by pahdz View Post
    only went once and enjoyed it, and the place was packed. hadn't been back though. hopefully we don't have to hear another "OKC isn't ready for this cuisine yet" tirade
    It was more location in my opinion. That side of Classen Curve is still pretty dead and its not like the development itself is very inviting. I am sure a lot of people didn't realize it was there.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    It was more location in my opinion. That side of Classen Curve is still pretty dead and its not like the development itself is very inviting. I am sure a lot of people didn't realize it was there.
    You have Liberte, Black Optical, Barre3 and lululemon all right there next to it. I would hardly call that area dead.

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    You have Liberte, Black Optical, Barre3 and lululemon all right there next to it. I would hardly call that area dead.
    As well as Republic next door. I think it had much less to do with location/knoweldge of it being there and much more to do with what they served.

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    As well as Republic next door. I think it had much less to do with location/knoweldge of it being there and much more to do with what they served.
    My thoughts exactly. Maybe there were too many good options surrounding it like Tucker's, Republic, Upper Crust and Cafe 501 for them to pull in much business.

I wanted to try it several months ago and then I read it was a vegan mexican restaurant which I hadn't ever eaten. I looked at the reviews on opentable and yelp and the majority of them were not good so we decided on something else. If the reviews had been good, we would have tried it.

I remember hearing Tucker's would be the last restaurant let in to Classen Curve. I am curious if that includes restaurants that replace other restaurants.
    This had to do with the Planned Unit Development zoning, which they amended to add more restaurants.

They certainly could put another restaurant, as there would be no net gain.

But I believe that the rumored Ruth's Chris or whatever next new restaurant would be the last allowed (in addition to the Tamazul replacement).

Blog Entries

My thoughts exactly. Maybe there were too many good options surrounding it like Tucker's, Republic, Upper Crust and Cafe 501 for them to pull in much business.

I wanted to try it several months ago and then I read it was a vegan mexican restaurant which I hadn't ever eaten. I looked at the reviews on opentable and yelp and the majority of them were not good so we decided on something else. If the reviews had been good, we would have tried it.
    It wasn't that it was vegan, it was because it wasn't good enough. The food may or may not have been healthy, but it was fairly tasteless. People go to eat Mexican food expecting it to be full of taste. Don't blame the location, blame the food.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    This had to do with the Planned Unit Development zoning, which they amended to add more restaurants.

They certainly could put another restaurant, as there would be no net gain.

But I believe that the rumored Ruth's Chris or whatever next new restaurant would be the last allowed (in addition to the Tamazul replacement).
    Thanks for the clarification Pete. I remember reading that but couldn't find the information to support it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    It wasn't that it was vegan, it was because it wasn't good enough. The food may or may not have been healthy, but it was fairly tasteless. People go to eat Mexican food expecting it to be full of taste. Don't blame the location, blame the food.
    And the turnover in staff/technique. The restaurantuer went through at least 3 head chefs and styles. Started as non-vegetarian, then went veggie and I guess fully vegan?

Thread Information