Widgets Magazine
Page 39 of 62 FirstFirst ... 3435363738394041424344 ... LastLast

Thread: Automobile Alley

Default Re: Automobile Alley General Thread

Curious to know if anyone has the numbers on how many more spaces will be available with angled compared to parallel?

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Curious to know if anyone has the numbers on how many more spaces will be available with angled compared to parallel?
    As per Steve's article.

A date for actually painting the spots, resulting in an increase of up to 24 spaces along Broadway between NW 5 and NW 10, however, remains unknown. The street carries an average of 12,000 vehicles a day.
    http://www.oklahoman.com/article/3927117?embargo=1

Oklahoma City Traffic Engineer Stuart Chai said that the switch from parallel to angled parking requires an ordinance change that will next be considered in February by the Oklahoma City Council. Even with council approval, final design work must be completed, and because the project is funded by the Automobile Alley Association, he is unsure who will do the work.

3. Default Re: Automobile Alley General Thread

4. Default Re: Automobile Alley General Thread

I'm surprised it only adds a couple dozen spaces. I really expected there would be more. Still, a great thing for the district.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    I'm surprised it only adds a couple dozen spaces. I really expected there would be more. Still, a great thing for the district.
    A couple dozen spaces will make a big impact. Not to mention slowing the traffic so pedestrians can safely cross the street.

Auto Alley is already way ahead of most other districts in OKC in terms of aesthetics and urban feel. This will help make the district all around more intimate and walkable.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Why doesn't the city get off it's arse and be supportive?? Auto Alley is important. The city has always done very little for AA compared to other districts like C2S which has become a moneypit with no results yet. AA does have that incredible existing urban fabric already mentioned in this thread. But yet they had to wait longer than a decade for the quiet zone, which Jim Couch opposed for so long, and most of the public enhancements came out of the Murrah fund.

Of course it would help AA if it's council person was more aggressive for downtown and not just a butt in a chair.. (Granted Meg's votes have been pivotal, but downtown needs more than a vote, it needs a bulldog advocate)

8. Default Re: Automobile Alley General Thread

Meg has to be careful when advocating for Automobile Alley, since she has significant real estate holdings in the district. I can tell you that prior to her election as a council member, there was no more staunch supporter/advocate of AA. None. As in, her efforts were probably as much as the next two people combined.

This sounds about right...

Angled parking may be added along Automobile Alley this spring | News OK

Public Works Director Eric Wenger said the wait won't be much longer.

“We will make this happen this spring,” Wenger said. “We will expedite the work as soon as we get the work done.”

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Why doesn't the city get off it's arse and be supportive?? Auto Alley is important. The city has always done very little for AA compared to other districts like C2S which has become a moneypit with no results yet. AA does have that incredible existing urban fabric already mentioned in this thread. But yet they had to wait longer than a decade for the quiet zone, which Jim Couch opposed for so long, and most of the public enhancements came out of the Murrah fund.

Of course it would help AA if it's council person was more aggressive for downtown and not just a butt in a chair.. (Granted Meg's votes have been pivotal, but downtown needs more than a vote, it needs a bulldog advocate)
    I agree.

In another thread somewhere Sid pointed out why Tulsa's urban districts are perceived as being so much better than OKC's which in fact they are really smaller and don't offer as much. The answer is the incredible urban fabric of districts like the Brady, Blue Dome, Cherry St, etc. Auto Alley has the potential to be that kind of district in OKC. It is already one of if not the most eye-pleasing stretch of development in the entire OKC metro.

I agree Core2Shore is a money pit and from everything I've seen thus far, the city is messing it up big time by the same lack of vision and mediocrity that brought us lower Bricktown.

Meg has to recuse herself from votes that impact AA or Shadid will sic the authorities on her. See streetcar vote.

I would like to request from Spartan and bchris if they would mind pointing us to the evidence that core to shore is a becoming money pit. I have yet to see any figures on it, unless you include the park. I have always looked at core to shore being the part that is filled in by the private sector. I am hoping that this is not another fact that Spartan has made up with one of his blinded minions rushing in to support his lie.

13. Default Re: Automobile Alley General Thread

Hey! It's everybody's favorite curmudgeon, Popsy!

Quote Originally Posted by Popsy View Post
    I would like to request from Spartan and bchris if they would mind pointing us to the evidence that core to shore is a becoming money pit. I have yet to see any figures on it, unless you include the park. I have always looked at core to shore being the part that is filled in by the private sector. I am hoping that this is not another fact that Spartan has made up with one of his blinded minions rushing in to support his lie.
    Bchris is probably pretty far down my list of minions, but I appreciate the assumption. Missed ya man.

As for the money pit, it all starts with the crosstown relocation and the river, and most recently with rerouting the streetcar down there, but we've spent more money down there than anywhere else. You can debate those if you want but when the Chamber counts investments they count any investment public or private that touches a plot of land, which is just economic development best practice. Core 2 Shore is an undeniable money pit even for the most optimistic urban visionary.

Rerouting of the streetcar "down there". Do tell?

Why don't you?

Bchris is probably pretty far down my list of minions, but I appreciate the assumption. Missed ya man..
    Dude I really hope you're joking.

If you aren't, that is just sad bro. I have never seen someone who is in love with their self as much as you.

18. Default Re: Automobile Alley General Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Dude I really hope you're joking.

If you aren't, that is just sad bro. I have never seen someone who is in love with their self as much as you.
    What does this even mean? All he said was bchris wasn't his 'minion' which anyone who has common sense and has read at least 2 threads on this board would be able to figure out.

Will the new angled parking be metered?

20. Default Re: Automobile Alley General Thread

Quote Originally Posted by DammitDan View Post
    Will the new angled parking be metered?
    I think it will be like the parallel parking there now where it has a time limit.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewmperry View Post
    What does this even mean? All he said was bchris wasn't his 'minion' which anyone who has common sense and has read at least 2 threads on this board would be able to figure out.
    Calling anyone a minion is just uncalled for.

22. Default Re: Automobile Alley General Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Calling anyone a minion is just uncalled for.
    Not trying to argue with you, but he was referencing Popsy's post.

Quote Originally Posted by Popsy View Post
    I would like to request from Spartan and bchris if they would mind pointing us to the evidence that core to shore is a becoming money pit ... I am hoping that this is not another fact that Spartan has made up with one of his blinded minions rushing in to support his lie.

Whoops, never mind. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by andrewmperry View Post
    Not trying to argue with you, but he was referencing Popsy's post.
    Ok then my bad, I didn't get that part.

Noticed the old Cricket building on Broadway and 9th has a dumpster in the back and the for lease sign has been removed. Anyone seen any building permits on this?

Thread Information