Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 60 FirstFirst ... 23456789101156 ... LastLast

Thread: Myriad Gardens

Default Re: Myriad Gardens to get makeover...

Quote Originally Posted by FritterGirl View Post
    ...Um. Not quite sure what to say here. If you look at the bird's-eye view of the site plan, you will see a north-south walkway that runs through the Gardens - quite literally through the Crystal Bridge. This is the northern portion of what is being called the "Harvey Spine" in the C2S project. The south plaza of the CB is the northern entry portal for C2S. It's kind of hard to see without looking at it as a whole, but that's what it is.

The link below shows an early bird's eye rendering of Core 2 Shore, where this link, or spine, is clearly visible. While the C2S plans have shifted around this, the spine itself remains in tact. http://www.okc.gov/planning/coretoshore/visuals/idea_1_full_size.jpg
    FritterGirl: thanks for all of the great information. It is appreciated!

I think what we are saying is that the parks aren't connected by park space (just a few trees along the roadway). The renderings I have looked at in the City's Core to Shore report indicate the MG and the string of MAPS 3 parks are separated by the "mixed use" development (same length as the Ford Center...2 blocks(?). It appears that the MAPS 3 parks are all connecting each other (just separated by the needed roads etc). Why not connect the MG with the MAPS 3 parks like the MAPS 3 parks are connected with each other? I guess what we are asking is, why the mixed use development interruption?

I understand they are preliminary renderings/plans and the final result may indeed give the feel of one continuous space. But it doesn't look that way on paper.

I think (and I'm just guessing here), that because they had housing planned for two sides of the park and the convention center for a third, they decided they needed to put mixed use in there somewhere. But, if the convention center is not built on the east side of the park, that side could be made available for mixed use and the Central Park(or Norick Park, as I call it in my mind) continue south from the Myriad Gardens.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    FritterGirl: thanks for all of the great information. It is appreciated!

I think what we are saying is that the parks aren't connected by park space (just a few trees along the roadway). The renderings I have looked at in the City's Core to Shore report indicate the MG and the string of MAPS 3 parks are separated by the "mixed use" development (same length as the Ford Center...2 blocks(?). It appears that the MAPS 3 parks are all connecting each other (just separated by the needed roads etc). Why not connect the MG with the MAPS 3 parks like the MAPS 3 parks are connected with each other? I guess what we are asking is, why the mixed use development interruption?

I understand they are preliminary renderings/plans and the final result may indeed give the feel of one continuous space. But it doesn't look that way on paper.

I'm not involved at all in C2S stuff, so really have very little authority on the matter, although I did sit in on the steering committee meetings, and do hear things from time to time.

It's still so early in the process that it's hard to say exactly what will happen. Suffice it to say, from what I know, it is the INTENT of planners to connect the MBG with the other developments in C2S through this "spine." However, there are just way too many factors to consider in the development of this area to state unequivocally that this will happen.

If realized, the spine, as started in the Gardens, is to have a distinct aesthetic that distinguishes it as a line of connectivity from the MBG and all the way down through the C2S area.

4. Default Re: Myriad Gardens to get makeover...

I went downtown the other day, it makes me so excited for what's to come... But everytime i see those cranes by the colcord building I get a tear in my eye...... cant wait to see our downtown upgrades completed

Um. Not quite sure what to say here. If you look at the bird's-eye view of the site plan, you will see a north-south walkway that runs through the Gardens - quite literally through the Crystal Bridge. This is the northern portion of what is being called the "Harvey Spine" in the C2S project. The south plaza of the CB is the northern entry portal for C2S. It's kind of hard to see without looking at it as a whole, but that's what it is.

The link below shows an early bird's eye rendering of Core 2 Shore, where this link, or spine, is clearly visible. While the C2S plans have shifted around this, the spine itself remains in tact. http://www.okc.gov/planning/coretoshore/visuals/idea_1_full_size.jpg
    Not at all meaning to post something that would give you pause..that was just mostly my criticism of the C2S plan and the little island of mixed-use between the central park and Myriad Gardens...one of the many peculiarities I don't understand about C2S. I am glad the Myriad renovations make much more sense.

6. Default Re: Myriad Gardens to get makeover...

That's messed up they took all the trees?

Change your avatar. Seriously..

And I took it as a visual going along with the comment...seemed to fit...LOL

.......While the horticulture aspect of the Gardens was in good shape, some of the architectural features were starting to fall into at least a state of minimal disrepair, although structurally things are still in good shape..........[/URL]
    Ha, minimal disrepair, everything below grade leaks like a sieve, from the plaza above the Dean A. McGee Center to the expansion joint between the Crystal Bridge and other below grade spaces. There have been attempts and $$ to fix these problems but all failed. To my knowledge this issue is not being addressed in the renovation. The spaces below should be deamed storm sewer and closed to public.........

Quote Originally Posted by Lil'PlateBreaker View Post
    That's messed up they took all the trees?
    Think of it like breaking eggs to make an omelet. You'll probably enjoy the end result.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    And I took it as a visual going along with the comment...seemed to fit...LOL
    That's what was scrary.

MadMonk Guest

I'm probably in the minority, but I think I'll miss the berms. We don't have much rolling terrain in OKC and I thought it was nice to have. Hopefully, they won't be completely eliminated.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Change your avatar. Seriously..
    You need to learn to be nice and say 'please' at least. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonk View Post
    I'm probably in the minority, but I think I'll miss the berms. We don't have much rolling terrain in OKC and I thought it was nice to have. Hopefully, they won't be completely eliminated.
    Berms are another way of saying "keep out." I'll take more people instead of the berms any day. There's nothing more depressing than an empty city park, and that's what we've had all these years.

MadMonk Guest

Quote Originally Posted by krisb View Post
    Berms are another way of saying "keep out." I'll take more people instead of the berms any day. There's nothing more depressing than an empty city park, and that's what we've had all these years.
    I understand what you're saying, but I've never felt the berms were any sort of barrier to entry. On the contrary, they provided seclusion and solitude in the middle of the city. During the arts festival it was teaming with people that didn't seem to have a problem with the berms. The rolling terrain was part of the fun for my kids as they ran up and down the hills, playing in the grass.

I don't think the reason the park was often empty is due to the berms. More likely, the reason is that nobody lives near the park so it's not going to be used that much. I've lived in OKC for over 25 years and I've only been in the park (after my initial visit) during the arts festival and the occasional visit during the holidays. The berms were never a factor in that.

I'm sure the park renovations will be nice in their own way though. I'm looking forward to watching it change

Monk, berms have been proven to be people barriers, although I agree they look nicer, I don't think many people will argue that. Keep in mind there will still be some hills and a natural type amphitheatre on the East Central part of the park where the pond was/is.

Your point proven the park was only packed during the arts festival, never any other times during the year. I live near the park, and so do 2,000+ downtown residents, not to mention 55,000 downtown workers and countless conventioners. It's the most concentrated part of the city with people, and it still failed to live up to expectations. Let's see how much busier it is the first year it reopens.

Notice the trees that have been remvoed
    April 20

May 10

Speaking of trees, please take a look at this article in this morning's Oklahoman.

Frankfurt Short Bruza is donating $50,000 worth of trees to the Myriad Botanical Gardens in honor of their 65th Anniversary.

They will make a presentation at today's downtown Rotary meeting.

FritterGirl, thanks for posting. I'm just curious, is the $50,000 in additional trees even necessary since it is undergoing a multi-million dollar renovation already? Seems to me the donation would have been better served landscaping the severely neglected Red Andrews Park over by St. Anthony's at Shartel and 7th.

It was FSB's call to make the donation to the Foundation, who graciously accepted it!

Metro,

that means that there will be $50,000 to be spent on making the park better in other areas. They have some incredible fountains planned that could cost $50,000, so just look at it as an investment in the park.

Frittergirl I have a tree or two that I would like to donate.

No worries, just was curious, I was under the impression that the park was fully funded. Either way, I'm sure they'll use a few hundred and put a plaque honoring themselves, FSB, and the $50,000 will go into the trust or whatever. I'd love to see a DT corporation step up and donate to Red Andrews park over in the MidTown/SoSA area.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    No worries, just was curious, I was under the impression that the park was fully funded. Either way, I'm sure they'll use a few hundred and put a plaque honoring themselves, FSB, and the $50,000 will go into the trust or whatever. I'd love to see a DT corporation step up and donate to Red Andrews park over in the MidTown/SoSA area.
    This is not intended as a slam to the MBG in any way, manner, shape or form.

Think it may be a case where the one getting the attention gets even more. Think of a celebrity that makes millions and gets all sorts of freebies thrown their way. They don't need them or even want them, but who would turn free stuff down? To the credit of some, they will give to their assistants, staff etc. Some donate the stuff to other charities etc.

The MBG is higher profile. Until your post I hadn't even heard of the Red Andrews Park.

The donation was made to the Myriad Gardens FOUNDATION, which is the ancillary funding support arm for the Gardens. The Foundation will work with city staff on the procurement of the trees.

The Parks Department regularly welcomes donations by groups all the time for trees. Generally, these are coordinated through community partner agencies such as OKC Beautiful and/or the Oklahoma Tree Bank Foundation.

Their efforts have helped plant multiple trees in City parks.

Quote Originally Posted by lasomeday View Post
    Metro,

that means that there will be $50,000 to be spent on making the park better in other areas. They have some incredible fountains planned that could cost $50,000, so just look at it as an investment in the park.

Frittergirl I have a tree or two that I would like to donate.
    I don't think they literally gave them trees. I think they gave them the cash with the requirement that it be used to buy trees.

Thread Information