Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 60 FirstFirst 1234567853 ... LastLast

Thread: Myriad Gardens

Default Re: Myriad Gardens to get makeover...

Quote Originally Posted by phinzup View Post
    For my money, calling it the "tube' is being very nice. Never been in it, never will be in it. Too many historical properties were destroyed so we could have a tube!

Urban renewal was a disaster, IMO.
    That's the good ole boy mindset that lead to things like Urban Renewal, etc. We all agree Urban Renewal was a disaster for Oklahoma City, and most American cities for that matter. No one is debating that. That isn't a reason not to support the amenties we do have as a city. Those structures wore torn down because they had fallen into disrepair for many years, and no one cared enough about them to save them. If everyone had this attitude towards the Myriad Gardens, would the same be done, and just have a vacant park downtown? It's already vacant enough almost any day of the week. Thankfully, Devon is generous enough to revive and overhaul the park.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Forgive me, but this is a comment that falls more into urban mythology than factual history. I don't blame you for thinking this - it's what I was raised to believe as well.
    Many sins can be pinned to the legacy of Urban Renewal - the destruction of the Baum Building, the Warner theater and Criterion were needless travesties where structures of far less consequence were built in their place.
    BUT.....
    I don't know of any significant historic properties torn down to make way for the Myriad Gardens. The only truly historic property on that block was the Biltmore (the rest of it was low-rise used furniture stores and pawn shops). Drawings by I.M. Pei called for the Biltmore to be an integral part of the gardens. You can see evidence of this in my book OKC Second Time Around. The Biltmore was a victim of being owned by out-of-state interests who gave up on it being a viable ongoing business.
    After much research into this matter, I will tell you that even today renovation of such a structure, with low floor to ceiling heights and reinforced concrete construction, would be very very daunting and expensive. And should it have survived, I could argue the odds would have higher against the Skirvin being revived (split up resources, the Skirvin wouldn't have been so unique, etc).
    I say all this to argue the following: the Crystal Bridge, in my opinion as a historian of downtown, is one of Urban Renewal's triumphs, and not a failure. I don't think it's fair to let Urban Renewal's sins cast a shadow on this iconic landmark's legacy or its long-term potential.
    Exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Loudenback View Post
    The items below are contained in this March 2008 blog article at Doug Dawgz Blog: Myriad Gardens and/or in this Okc Postcards article, Doug Dawgz Blog: OKC Postcards ...

When officially announced in 1972, a June 2 Oklahoma Journal ran this article:

$17 Million People's Park Plan Unveiled

Perhaps the most imaginative dream for a people's park in the heart of a large American city was unveiled Thursday as the plan for Oklahoma City's Myriad Gardens. Local officials say they hope to reach for the stars and have most of the park finished by 1976.
    Everything from a children's zoo to an ice skating pond and including a 30 foot deep canyon, a two-acre lake, botanical gardens, a sports hall of fame, a classic car museum, arts and science centers, a planetarium, a cluster of restaurants and movie houses, museums and a new Main Library for Oklahoma City is included in the Gardens plan.
    A Phase Two plan for the gardens will extend east to Shartel and triple the park's size to a total of 33 acres.

The image which accompanied the article showed the Gardens as looking like this:

Click on images below for larger

As it appeared in Oklahoma Journal

Of course, it didn't turn out that way. The money wasn't there to do it. But, as you can see, both the Biltmore Hotel (shown as Hotel Oklahoma) and the Tivoli Inn (originally, the Oklahoma Club but renamed by a new owner to match what was earlier thought to become the garden's original name, the Oklahoma Tivoli Gardens) were marked for preservation.

Among other things that didn't happen with the plan, note the location of a new downtown library in the southwest corner.

The Oklahoma Club/Tivoli Inn (if preserved, better it would be were it shorn of its false exterior that the new owner put on it) was also a building worth preserving, in my opinion.
    Cool info. Thanks. I presume the bit about a phase II expansion was intended to say "west to Shartel" rather than "east"?

3. Default Re: Myriad Gardens to get makeover...

I'm glad that it ended up being a real green space as opposed to cramming all those buildings on to the same site.
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

4. Default Re: Myriad Gardens to get makeover...

Quote Originally Posted by Oil Capital View Post
    Cool info. Thanks. I presume the bit about a phase II expansion was intended to say "west to Shartel" rather than "east"?
    Yeah, my other east! Thanks for catching my error ... fixit time again.

Festival of the Arts brings peak at future
    BY STEVE LACKMEYER
    Published: April 13, 2010

A visit to the annual Spring Festival of the Arts later this month might involve a bit more pain than usual. The parking usually enjoyed by visitors no longer exists because of construction of the new Devon Energy headquarters across the street from the festival’s home at the Myriad Gardens.

But those who take the time to find alternate parking places will get the chance to see the festival one more time before it changes forever.

And change is definitely coming.

Read the rest of Steve's article at:

NewsOK

6. Default Re: Myriad Gardens to get makeover...

What peek? Based on the headline, I thought the article was going to say there would be some kind of visual presentation during the fest of what the renovation involved, but then said nothing of the sort.

Not to surmise what is or isn't in Steve's article, but there will be a display of renderings, and possibly a model inside the south lobby of the Crystal Bridge during Festival.

The conservatory and outdoor grounds will both be closed as of April 26. In fact, crews are already out working on building platforms underneath the Crystal Bridge to support the scaffolding that will be soon put in place.

Assuming everything moves according to current plan, crews will start moving into the outdoor grounds on Monday, April 26 to begin preparations for demolition.

8. Default Re: Myriad Gardens to get makeover...

Will there be a fence around it?

The welcome video for the 2010 Conference of Mayors at this link suggests the mayors will be able to tour the Myriad Gardens.... hmmm?
    The U.S. Conference of Mayors : 78th Annual Meeting Welcome Video

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84 View Post
    Will there be a fence around it?
    Yes. Eventually, there will be a fence around the entire outdoor grounds, similar to what you see around the Devon site.

Quote Originally Posted by Platemaker
    The welcome video for the 2010 Conference of Mayors at this link suggests the mayors will be able to tour the Myriad Gardens.... hmmm?
    Not sure when that video was put together or presented. It's doubtful they'll be at the Gardens unless special hard hat tours are arranged. I haven't heard anything about it, but anything is possible.

If nothing else, it speaks very highly for our City that we'll be hosting so many mayors with so many construction cranes here and about. It's a great testament to our progress.

Totally a silly comment, but, I only make it because I annoyingly corrected my wife on this the other night whilst at the gardens. The exterior of the crystal bridge is made of a Polymer, and is not glass. I believe, if memory serves me right, it was the only large scale polymer conservatory built at the time of it's completion, and earned a write up in a National Geographic polymer focus issue in the late 80's.

12. Default Re: Myriad Gardens to get makeover...

Do you mean polycarbonate?

I thought they were acrylic panels.

I'm glad they are adding an amphitheater, we really don't have enough concert/theater venue space around town and this will help.

Quote Originally Posted by CuatrodeMayo View Post
    Do you mean polycarbonate?

I thought they were acrylic panels.
    Well, both of those would be polymers. But, yeah, I think they are Acrylic (plexiglass). I wonder if the face lift will upgrade them to a modern polycarbonate, which should be quite a bit more durable. I'm not a materials or engineering person at all, so I have no idea what the heat/light efficiency differences would be. This part of the project, to me, is the most exciting part. I seem to remember seeing a cross section illustration of the Crystal Bridge panels (all of which would, of course, have to be custom made) showing them to be a much more complex structure than their outward appearance would indicate. I woud love to know who gets the contract to replace these things, and how much the price tag ends up being. Above all, I can't wait to see the crystal bridge restored to it's former "crystal" appearance. It's going to be gorgeous!

Project 180 starts in Myriad Gardens
    BY STEVE LACKMEYER
    Published: April 29, 2010

Allan Storjohann’s office is about to disappear. Things are being torn up all around him. And he’s happy.

Oklahoma City, get ready — Project 180 has officially gotten under way. And Storjohann, manager at the Myriad Gardens, is only the first of thousands of downtown workers who will find themselves inconvenienced during the ensuing three-year-long downtown makeover. After hosting the Festival of the Arts last week, the gardens and the Crystal Bridge were shut down for a $38 million makeover.

Read the rest of Steve's article at:
    NewsOK

16. Default Re: Myriad Gardens to get makeover...

The Office of James Burnett's website features some new renderings, which you can visit here. I am extremely impressed. Can't wait. Also, the site has details about the Devon Park if you're interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Architect2010 View Post
    The Office of James Burnett's website feature some new renderings, which you can visit here.

I am extremely impressed. Can't wait. Also, the site has details about the Devon Park if you're interested.
    Excellent renderings!! This will raise the bar for OKC! With the impressive Devon tower and the gardens who needs Dallas? (lol).

The Devon Tower is HUGE in this photo!

WOW!!!! Exciting, can't wait to see it and the tower finished.

Those renderings are fantastic!

21. Default Re: Myriad Gardens to get makeover...

is it me, or does the renderings for the MG make it look much more interactive than it is now? and if so, why did we need the new central park (at least to be interactive)?

Im beginning to think there is duplication of efforts; dont get me wrong - the renderings are fantastic. But it seems as if many of the elements shown in the renderings for Myriad Gardens are the same as what was shown in the Central Park renderings.

Will the Arts Festival eventually move down to the new central park? If not, what was the point of it other than to clean up the blighted area? What is the point of having two interactive parks (that don't connect) unless there is a master plan to urbanize/move downtown to surround Myriad Gardens, making it the intimate CBD retreat while the new Central Park (since it is bigger) would be used for civic events ala Arts Festival.

I really think this city needs a MASTER PLAN, to avoid duplication of efforts and create a seamless city with all of these big boulder projects we are seeing implemented. Anybody agree?
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Hot Rod: You touched on it, as the MAPS 3 park will be bigger. It is a matter of scale of the events and was addressed during the MAPS 3 campaign (think it was at the paid luncheon where the head of the firm designing the Park was describing it and that question came up).

There is some duplication such as amphitheater etc but again, it is a smaller one than what is going in the MAPS 3 park. As the Festival of the Arts grows, it may need the additional space the MAPS 3 space will provide (and was intended to host it going by the Core to Shore report info). Then there is the matter of timing. Enough of the renovations should be done by next years FofA but the MAPS 3 park is at least a couple of years away (supposed to be open in conjunction with the Boulevard a couple of years after the relocated I-40 in 2012).

Understand about the Master Plan aspect and the Core to Shore kind of serves as that. The "problem" we ran into was with the opportunity and desire from Devon to renovate the MG. Even though some duplication was in the works, they didn't want to put the MG renovations on hold until MAPS 3 was decided...full steam ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    is it me, or does the renderings for the MG make it look much more interactive than it is now? and if so, why did we need the new central park (at least to be interactive)?

Im beginning to think there is duplication of efforts; dont get me wrong - the renderings are fantastic. But it seems as if many of the elements shown in the renderings for Myriad Gardens are the same as what was shown in the Central Park renderings.

Will the Arts Festival eventually move down to the new central park? If not, what was the point of it other than to clean up the blighted area? What is the point of having two interactive parks (that don't connect) unless there is a master plan to urbanize/move downtown to surround Myriad Gardens, making it the intimate CBD retreat while the new Central Park (since it is bigger) would be used for civic events ala Arts Festival.

I really think this city needs a MASTER PLAN, to avoid duplication of efforts and create a seamless city with all of these big boulder projects we are seeing implemented. Anybody agree?
    Hot Rod, I'm not really sure I understand fully your point. Are you saying that the Myriad Gardens would be better left as it is if we develop the Central Park as proposed or that there isn't sufficient demand for both parks? I see the Myriad Gardens, except for the Crystal Bridge, as an attraction mainly for those for either live or work in the CBD with occasional use by those outside the area. The Central Park is much more of a citywide attraction and park with a great potential for more when the proposed residential in that area is realized down the road. As for the Arts Festival, I think that could depend on how it evolves in future years. I think the more intimate setting in the Myriad Gardens area is best for now. It's possible it could outgrow that area at some point, however. It was originally in the Civic Center Park and outgrew that area.

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post

Agree completely, with the future Devon complex accross the street and much needed re-inventing and renovation of the Myriad Gardens to take place, the MG may finally live up to expectations. The urban density surrounding the gardens is lacking greatly. With the rebirth of the MG the proposed Central Park 2X the area will be competing for patrons. As planned, with no existing built urban environment residential or otherwise, I don't envision many people using the Central Park.

Much thought and a Master Plan would be a starting point.........Core to Shore?

Quote Originally Posted by architect5311 View Post
    . As planned, with no existing built urban environment residential or otherwise, I don't envision many people using the Central Park.
    Which comes first, the chicken or the egg?

Thread Information