Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: North Fork

Default Re: North Fork

Quote Originally Posted by eataroundokc.com View Post
    If the community here feels like this is intrusive or undesirable, I would stop, but it hasn't seemed that way thus far.
    I doubt it's much of a problem for anyone around here but Metro.

2. Default Re: North Fork

Thanks, Matt.

I definitely don't want to violate the rules or intentions of the community. I sent a question to the webmasters just to be sure. I also added a link back to OKCTalk from my site which will hopefully demonstrate my good faith.

3. Default Re: North Fork

I'd tell you to not listen to metro, but there would be too much irony there because you also shouldn't listen to advice from a guy like me on how to conduct yourself on internet message boards.

If you have questions about advertising on the site beyond the TOS, I'm sure that Pete would be more than happy to answer them. I'm hard to put up with, and he lets me hang around, so he must be a pretty good guy

I ate there soon after it opened, which isn't too recent by any stretch. Nonetheless, the service was immaculate--a friend who was delivered an improperly-prepared sloe gin fizz (regular gin was used) received an apologetic visit from the manager, the waiter was both sincerely attentive and intelligently conversant, and the actual fare, though I regret I forget exactly what was ordered at the moment, was presented in an appetizing manner, both in taste and appearance.

To be honest, though, I'm not surprised to hear of a checkered record as this---I predicted to myself that such a standard would be hard to hold steady.

Also, I like the site, eataround!

5. Default Re: North Fork

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    eataroundokc, just wondering if you plug OKCTalk any on your website (I couldn't tell). You sure do plug your own site often around here, just wondering if you were returning the favor??
    Metro! Do you plug OKCTalk at Lifechurch as much as you plug Lifechurch on OKCTalk? You always give everyone a hard time about posting repetitive threads yet you do the same thing. I know this has been discussed many times before, so why don't we leave the "thread policing" to the MODERATORS and OWNERS of this site? As a matter of fact I thought Pete had said as much not too long ago.

Misty you're just chiming in for personal reasons and because your boy toy OGTS did. Just like you freely post your opinions, I can too. In my opinion, I think it is tacky (and I've been on this site several years longer and seen it done plenty of times, and then they just leave after the promotions) for businesses to come on here and promote their business all the time and not return the favor. What really preturbs me, is that the vast majority of these businesses who come here and promote don't stay on OKCTalk and don't contribute in any other areas.

That's a matter of principle to me. If everyone on this site promoted their job and or business, no one would want to come to this site. I choose to read a topic thinking its about a topic I'm interested in, not to read a promotion. As far as my lifechurch postings, I understand you're bitter at the church, but enough people are interested obviously in LC to read the post. Heck, the LC posts have the most number of views compared to ANY other thread on this entire message board in the 4 years I've been on this site. Must say that LC at least is newsworthy to most people on this site.

7. Default Re: North Fork

Yeah, but eataround has been awhile. He posts in the food section almost as much as you.

That's all I'm sayin'.
    Still corrupting young minds

Been here since October, that's what 4 months? And I'm not knocking the guy I like his reviews, I just wish they were all on here so I didn't have to go to his website, just like myself and everyone else post articles on here. I'm sure several other people on OKCTalk probably feel the same way that there are wayyyy too many people who come here to promote and leave after a few months. Heck, we've had this discussion before and several others have agreed that it's annoying, just like some of my posts are annoying to others.

Oh, and yes I do mention OKCTalk and plug it all the time. I've plugged it to the local media plenty of times, people at church, restaurants, mall, pretty much everywhere. Ask Todd or Pete although Todd was probably before you were in OKC. I actually won a contest for referring the most people to OKCTalk, not like that matters because I believe in the site more than I care about a prize.

9. Default Re: North Fork

There's nothing "personal", this is the internet. It was actually Matt's comment that made me decide to post, not Oh Gawd's. Oh Gawd is NOT my boy toy, he's my funny dancing monkey. The only thing I'm "bitter" about is not being two inches taller. I come from tall genes. I should be 5'10". Well, I'm also a little bitter about joining ohgawdthesmell.tv. He bought a big new television with my donations and says it's to benefit me, but I don't see how since it's in his living room. I really hope he invites me over to watch The Young and the Restless though. I'd like to see Victor Newman in HD. AND I also won an award, in 3rd grade my story about Eunice the Unicorn won a contest. Unicorns rock.....you can't beat that.

10. Default Re: North Fork

I appreciate everyone's support, but I also think Metro has a valid point. It is not good manners to just come onto a forum just to promote your own interests.

At the same time, it's a fine line, because in my opinion, my links do relate to the threads I'm commenting on, I just happen to have my own blog where I've already taken the time to write up my thoughts on a subject, so if it's relevant to the discussion at hand, I think it's ok to link out to it. It's just like utilizing trackbacks on blogs.

Secondly, I made the decision when I started contributing that I would contribute beyond just linking to my site and I believe I have done so in the food area as well as other parts of the forum, and I plan to continue to do so. I have also added the linkage to OKCTalk to my own site and I have even linked to a specific thread in this forum in one of my articles about the CousCous cafe, giving credit to this forum for helping me discover that restaurant.

Metro is a very avid contributor to this site and I enjoy reading his posts, so his opinion matters to me. I hope that this explanation satisfies you, Metro, but if not please let me know if you feel I should discontinue posting links to my articles. I will definitely consider your opinion. As I mentioned before, I have emailed the the owners and moderators about this but thus far, I have not heard back.

Sorry for the space it has taken on this thread to discuss these matter. Metro, please let me know if you think I should discontinue, otherwise, let's just leave it at this and get on with our discussions.

11. Default Re: North Fork

Hi Tim, I'm sorry, I haven't gotten a message from you regarding this issue.

As a Moderator, I feel that you are appropriately contributing to this site. I've read through your 36 posts and yes, you have mentioned your site ( I can tell you are excited about your new venture) but you have also added to various discussions in other areas.

I personally don't know why this is even an issue.

In the whole context of things, we have hundreds of members on this board. You have had one person point out to you that you may be promoting your site more than he would like.

Don't worry about it.

Unless you hear otherwise from a Moderator or the Owner, feel free to post as you have been.
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

12. Default Re: North Fork

Um, no offense to Doug, but isn't he always linking to his blog, too? What's the difference?

Anyway, back to North Fork...took a friend there for her birthday back in July, and I haven't been back since. The waiter kind of creeped us out. He was a little too attentive. It was just kind of weird. And the food wasn't as good as I remembered. And my friend's apple martini wasn't very well mixed. I have found much better, though the first time I went there when it switched, I was very impressed. I hope they can get it back to the way it was.
    Still corrupting young minds

Karried. . . thanks for the official reading!! eataroundokc, PLEASE continue. Posts that bring to light new (some not so new)/different places to eat/go is one of the things I thought this forum was about. As far as the links to other blogs. . .it's only a mouse click away. . .and back. . .not a difficult activity.

14. Default Re: North Fork

Thanks, Karried, for the official reply. I'm sorry you never got my message. I sent it using the contact form under "who are we" in the information center. Maybe it got lost somehow.

Regardless, thank you. I really enjoy this forum.

15. Default Re: North Fork

You can click my name and send me a PM and I'll get it right away...same for mmm and Pete.

I know that if we had gotten the messages earlier, we all would have probably said something similar.

I think it's more about building community here at OKCTalk than anything else.

Of course, we have to follow some guidelines or it would be a free for all.

But, creating a great place for members to interact and share ideas about OKC and various topics is more along the lines of (what I think) the forum should be.
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

Quote Originally Posted by foodiefan View Post
    Karried. . . thanks for the official reading!! eataroundokc, PLEASE continue. Posts that bring to light new (some not so new)/different places to eat/go is one of the things I thought this forum was about. As far as the links to other blogs. . .it's only a mouse click away. . .and back. . .not a difficult activity.
    You have to understand, foodiefan, that metro is incapable of ignoring things the disinterest or annoys him. So he appoints himself thread police and gets his panties in a twist.

I agree with what has been said by others. There's been a heckuva lot more advertising and proselytizing for LifeChurch than ANY other "business" or person with their own blog has done. Perhaps Mr. Metro could kindly remove the plank from his own eye before worrying about the speck in his brother's eye.

PUG and others, again you take things out of context just as you are accusing me of. I simply asked a mere question out of curiousity, not to "police" or anything else. eataroundokc, don't mind your post "pleasing me" as that was not my intention. I was just curious and asked a basic question. You can do what you wish, just like every other member does on this board, don't worry about pleasing me please. And again PUG, just because you are not a fan of LC, at least the post tells what it is about, and again, the LC threads ARE BY FAR THE MOST HIGHLY READ THREADS ON OKCTALK, PERIOD!! So to stereotype them as advertising is trivial, if you ask me, and if memory serves me right, I believe you've participated in those threads a time or two so you must have had some self serving interest by participating in those. And a few hundred or thousand other posters must be interested in those threads as well.

eataroundokc, don't sweat it, again I was just asking a basic question out of curiousity, and above you validated that it was a reasonable question. Welcome to the board and I hope to read your contributions in the future on food and other topics.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    I believe you've participated in those threads a time or two so you must have had some self serving interest by participating in those...
    And what would that "self serving interest" be?

As usual, metro, you missed the point — everyone's point. But that's what we've come to expect... along with the self-appointed thread-policing.

Quote Originally Posted by PUGalicious View Post
    You have to understand, foodiefan, that metro is incapable of ignoring things the disinterest or annoys him. So he appoints himself thread police and gets his panties in a twist.

I agree with what has been said by others. There's been a heckuva lot more advertising and proselytizing for LifeChurch than ANY other "business" or person with their own blog has done. Perhaps Mr. Metro could kindly remove the plank from his own eye before worrying about the speck in his brother's eye.
    Again, I see members attacking other members on this board. This sort of immature behavior should be prohibited here. The owner needs to enforce the rules here.

Perhaps jsenter could kindly remove the plank from his own eye before worrying about the speck in his brother's eye.

Perhaps PUGalicious can play nice in the sandbox.

pugalicious... it's over. the issue has been officially clarified. there was no need to dredge up the issue again.

jsenter... we police the board quite well, thanks. this is a forum for relatively mature people, we're not babysitters. we don't want to regulate every single little thing people say... as long as things remain relatively civil.

alright, now back to topic. -M

Thread Information