Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SE corner 63rd/MLK

Northeast OKC SE corner 63rd/MLK

Clearing and prep has been going on this summer. Anyone know what the project is?

Default Re: SE corner 63rd/MLK

Quote Originally Posted by Swalell1960 View Post
    Clearing and prep has been going on this summer. Anyone know what the project is?
    land ownership tracks to

Solara Surgical Partners
    Categories
    Surgery Centers

2325 Dean Way, Suite 100 Southlake TX 76092

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    land ownership tracks to

Solara Surgical Partners
    Categories
    Surgery Centers

2325 Dean Way, Suite 100 Southlake TX 76092
    Yes, can't find a building permit but this owner has developed several surgical centers around Oklahoma and a bunch of FirstMed (urgent care) locations.

I should add that property is almost 20 acres, so you have to think they play more than just a surgical center, which may take a couple of acres.

5. Default Re: SE corner 63rd/MLK

Solara also operates First Med Urgent Care .

Peak Volleyball is building a big new complex on this parcel; this would be in addition to the medical facility close to MLK.

They are presently in a terrible industrial building near NE 122nd and I-35. They do a lot of private coaching, helping high schoolers get college scholarships.

The building on the left (west) is for volleyball. But I believe the building on the right will be pickleball, as will the outdoor courts. Note the pickleball building has a bar inside. Not sure about the south building; probably future expansion.

https://op2vb.com/

Seems like a great spot for a pickle ball endeavor!

Thanks for the follow up, Pete!

this should be a cool development

Hotel and huge new pickleball and volleyball complex coming to Remington Park area

Plans have been filed for a large recreation complex at the southeast corner of I-44 and Martin Luther King Boulevard, just north of Remington Park.

Social Pickle founder Matt Hastings will operate a 20-court indoor/outdoor pickleball facility, as the sport continues to grow rapidly.

It will feature a full bar, pro shop, and outdoor beer garden with a second-level terrace overlooking the outdoor courts.

Right across the parking lot, the volleyball facility will include 10 indoor hard courts to be operated by Oklahoma Peak Performance (OP2 or Peak), in affiliation with USA Volleyball. Peak has been operating in a smaller facility and has been successful in several of its club members earning college volleyball scholarships.

Immediately adjacent to the indoor courts, Boomtown Beach will offer both indoor and outdoor sand volleyball courts, along with a bar and cafe.

Together, pro tournaments, recreation leagues, and other events will be hosted, attracting thousands of athletes and spectators.

To the west will be an unnamed hotel, something long needed in the Adventure District to serve visitors coming to see the National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museums, the OKC Zoo, Remington Park, several nearby museums, and the annual Women’s College World Series.

There are four additional lots where negotiations are currently underway with restaurants and coffee shops. Andy Burnett of Burnett Equity is the developer.

Yes! What an awesome addition to that area! This is huge! An idea how many rooms in that hotel? And is there a chance of a 2nd hotel just north of this hotel? Looks like that plot is perfect for a 2nd.

Awesome!

The reason I thought this was going to be a medical facility is that it was bought about five years ago by a DFW company that has built surgical clinics and urgent care facilities.

Turns out, that it's the Chickasaws. They are selling this parcel to Andy Burnett who is doing this development.

13. Default Re: SE corner 63rd/MLK

This is great! More pickleball courts will definitely put Oklahoma City on the map for a spot for larger tournaments. Also, a co-worker of mine has daughters who play competitive volleyball right now and this will be great for them. Like Softball, Volleyball is really starting to become super popular.

Having indoor sand courts will be amazing! There are none in the entire state!

And 20 pickleball courts?! Heck yes!

I think the designs are bare, but I'm hoping that these are preliminary designs. But I don't really care too much.

15. Default Re: SE corner 63rd/MLK

Looks cool, but curious what they will be able to do with these courts (not necessarily here) when the pickleball fad dies out. I know Prairie added a court at their brewery and I've never seen it used

16. Default Re: SE corner 63rd/MLK

Quote Originally Posted by fromdust View Post
    Looks cool, but curious what they will be able to do with these courts (not necessarily here) when the pickleball fad dies out. I know Prairie added a court at their brewery and I've never seen it used
    Do you think pickleball is a fad? I remember when I worked at a country club in North OKC and being worried that Tennis would lose popularity and the facility wouldn't be used for anything else. I was very wrong and Tennis is still very popular, especially with older players who don't want to keep healthy in a gym atmosphere. That same club has only expanded because of the pickleball popularity and I am pretty sure those who didn't play tennis for physical reasons are now playing pickleball because it is easier on the body. I don't think it is going anywhere anytime soon.

As anyone familiar with the French revolution will recall, tennis has been a sport for hundreds of years.

Pete: on the hotel part, is there any indication as to what level of hotel it will be? Full services? Limited? From the plans, it doesn't look like it would be limited service.

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    Pete: on the hotel part, is there any indication as to what level of hotel it will be? Full services? Limited? From the plans, it doesn't look like it would be limited service.
    All I know is that Burnett is flipping the land to a hotel developer and I believe he said it will be 4-stories, so likely pretty small room count.

Still, it's a start and hope other hotels follow. There was one proposed for I-35 & 50th but it never materialized.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    All I know is that Burnett is flipping the land to a hotel developer and I believe he said it will be 4-stories, so likely pretty small room count.

Still, it's a start and hope other hotels follow. There was one proposed for I-35 & 50th but it never materialized.
    Any indication on the flag of the hotel?

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    Any indication on the flag of the hotel?
    No, I think they are holding that information until the land sale closes.

I know that this development (well, the volleyball part) has been in the works for 2 years. They were waiting for the right location. And then got Social Pickle to partner with them, which helped with the costs, and also helps with future income (more people in the area leads to more spending, etc). I think this will be great! I do wonder about parking, though. For those larger tourneys and tryouts they will be holding, parking could get tight. There will be numerous sand volleyball leagues throughout the week, as well, and pickleball is still as popular as ever.

Maybe shuttle service between Remington or Tinseltown, but parking will be a tight fit, as that hotel will be in fairly high-demand.

Pickleball might be a semi-fad thing here right now, but I remember playing it 30 years ago in Florida at my grandmas house in the Villages (Florida) and it was busy then.
    It is just nice to see courts packed with young people and not buried in their phone isolation.

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    I know that this development (well, the volleyball part) has been in the works for 2 years. They were waiting for the right location. And then got Social Pickle to partner with them, which helped with the costs, and also helps with future income (more people in the area leads to more spending, etc). I think this will be great! I do wonder about parking, though. For those larger tourneys and tryouts they will be holding, parking could get tight. There will be numerous sand volleyball leagues throughout the week, as well, and pickleball is still as popular as ever.

Maybe shuttle service between Remington or Tinseltown, but parking will be a tight fit, as that hotel will be in fairly high-demand.
    Since this is a Burnett development and he is buying the land from the Chickasaws, I would guess Remington could let them use the parking fronting MLK for runover from the parking. And if this is successful, I would guess development could continue down MLK on both sides of MLK as there is ample room on the west side as well.

There are currently three lots for sale on the west side. The northern most property is 4.25 acres to the east of Tinseltown for $1.85MM. South of that, is 3.19 acres for $1.39MM and south of that is 3.58 acres for $1.56MM.

I wonder how far along this Pickleball complex is in the planning phase. Is this going to be another announcement with plans filed that fails to materialize like the multitude of other proposed projects in the area over the years? I feel like there is almost enough momentum to start attracting a project or investment that will draw in other development. It feels like everyone is waiting for someone else to do it first.

Thread Information