Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Tesla (previously Volvo dealership)

1. Default Re: Tesla (previously Volvo dealership)

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    and every major manufacture is jumping into the electric space .. there is not unlimited growth for telsa ... (one of the many many reasons their stock is massively overvalued)
    The CEO of Ford doesn't sound nearly as confident as you.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LATimes.JPG 
Views:	78 
Size:	146.8 KB 
ID:	17366

Either way, they'd better hurry up.

As for Oklahoma, this is backward looking legislation that -if passed- will surely have to be undone in the near future. They may think they're holding pocket aces but it's really 2-7 off-suit.

Default Re: Tesla (previously Volvo dealership)

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    So has anyone actually read through the bill? I mean that seriously, not snarky. It's 73 pages, and my eyes glossed over after about 30. I couldn't find where it would shut down the service centers. Tesla has never been able to sell in Oklahoma under our existing laws, so I'm not clear how this would be "blocking" Tesla from the state. Can someone ELI5 or cite the relevant section?

(Also, from my quick skim, it does seem like a large part of the bill is about restricting/controlling consumer data, and such.)
    I'm still wondering about the answer to this. If the analysis answer of "this would be bad for the state" comes from Tesla and Tesla fans I don't entirely trust it.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    I'm still wondering about the answer to this. If the analysis answer of "this would be bad for the state" comes from Tesla and Tesla fans I don't entirely trust it.
    So you trust a bill coming from a guy who owns multiple car dealerships? You are fine with passing bills that are 73 pages in length just because?

From what I read on the internet (so it must be true) Texas had the same restrictions as Oklahoma as of October 2021. I believe they still do. You cannot buy a new Tesla in Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    From what I read on the internet (so it must be true) Texas had the same restrictions as Oklahoma as of October 2021. I believe they still do. You cannot buy a new Tesla in Texas.
    Incredible! Teslas made at the Giga factory will need to be shipped out of the state and then sold to customers and shipped back in.

https://cbsaustin.com/amp/news/local...ctly-to-texans

That’s hilarious.

In other news Tesla might become unionized after Musk is supporting to hold a vote:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/techn...xEgsJqcLG6Q%2F

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wsucougz View Post
    The CEO of Ford doesn't sound nearly as confident as you.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LATimes.JPG 
Views:	78 
Size:	146.8 KB 
ID:	17366

Either way, they'd better hurry up.

As for Oklahoma, this is backward looking legislation that -if passed- will surely have to be undone in the near future. They may think they're holding pocket aces but it's really 2-7 off-suit.
    I can't remember for the life of me what podcast it was, but there was someone saying Ford wildly underestimated the demand they'd have for EVs, something like if they had the EV manufacturing capacity today, 40% of their sales could be EVs just based on today's demand. Pretty sure they were quoting someone from Ford. Sorry, it was weeks ago and my brain has been fried since then.

Blog Entries

$66.3 million coming to Oklahoma for electric vehicle infrastructure: https://ktul.com/news/local/663-mill...infrastructure

March 2, 2022, Oklahoman https://www.oklahoman.com/story/news...ll/6855858001/

The bill is a draft; if passed it will be challenged and overturned . . .

Quote Originally Posted by jccouger View Post
    So you trust a bill coming from a guy who owns multiple car dealerships? You are fine with passing bills that are 73 pages in length just because?
    You cannot scare me with page length, 73 is just a number. As for the rest of it, that's why I want to see an actual analysis of the bill contents.

Blog Entries

Timely bit of info

Japanese report: Panasonic wants to build electric vehicle battery plant in Kansas or Oklahoma
    https://tulsaworld.com/news/local/ja...a372648c9.html

Japanese electronics company Panasonic wants to buy land in Kansas or Oklahoma to construct a multi-billion-dollar factory to supply Tesla with lithium-ion batteries, Japan public broadcaster NHK has reported.
    The states are being considered because they are close to Texas, where Tesla is preparing a new electric vehicle plant, according to the report.

That is neat. Hopefully OK puts all chips into that deal. This state should be known for energy. All the batteries, oil, gas, wind, nuclear. Take advantage of our geographic location for distribution.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    That is neat. Hopefully OK puts all chips into that deal. This state should be known for energy. All the batteries, oil, gas, wind, nuclear. Take advantage of our geographic location for distribution.
    This

The way cars are sold these days is antiquated and results in higher prices for the end consumer. I'm hoping it doesn't pass but I have zero faith in the current OK government. They've proposed so many backwards bills it makes my head spin.

14. Default Re: Tesla (previously Volvo dealership)

Quote Originally Posted by jarrington00 View Post
    The way cars are sold these days is antiquated and results in higher prices for the end consumer. I'm hoping it doesn't pass but I have zero faith in the current OK government. They've proposed so many backwards bills it makes my head spin.
    I am not sure that it costs more. I bought my last 4 vehicles at least 4k under sticker. I looked at ordering them from Jeep's web site but got a better deal at the dealership.

Quote Originally Posted by jarrington00 View Post
    Yeah, and 80% of the rest of the US is backwards in their thinking about car sales.

I can see both sides having some benefits, especially getting a vehicle the same day that is close to what you were wanting. The direct model would get you the exact specs but you would have to wait.

One thing I didn't think of but found when learning more about the direct model ban is that some states have also banned the service portion as well.
    That would result in hiring out of state service company to travel to service all Telsa or direct to consumer vehicles. I can't imagine that is cheap either.

Also, would this ban effect Canoo? They have the same sales model as Telsa and force us to purchase vehicles made in OK from outside states.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryOKC6 View Post
    I am not sure that it costs more. I bought my last 4 vehicles at least 4k under sticker. I looked at ordering them from Jeep's web site but got a better deal at the dealership.
    There have been quite a few news articles lately about the manufacturers fighting with dealerships selling cars for well over sticker, which actually violates their agreements, but they don't seem to be able to enforce them.

Originally, these franchise laws were meant to protect the consumer, by having locally owned businesses selling and standing by their products, and also creating competition between dealers to help drive down prices (as opposed to the manufactures also being the dealer and being able to just set prices with no competition). However, the consolidation of the industry and the financial leverage given to the larger dealers in the major metros has made this entire concept outdated, and it's actually getting the opposite results of what was intended in many cases.

Additionally, these laws were about protecting local businesses from predatory behavior by the manufacturers. Since Tesla and others don't have local franchises in place, it seems like this protection isn't needed. I know many states have an exception in their franchise laws for circumstances like that.

18. Default Re: Tesla (previously Volvo dealership)

It would seem to me that Tesla just needs to franchise in the states that they need to. At least if they want to sell cars in those states they do. I typically buy a new car every 2 years and I think i enjoy the haggling as much as anything.

19. Default Re: Tesla (previously Volvo dealership)

It would seem to me that Tesla just needs to franchise in the states that they need to. At least if they want to sell cars in those states they do. I typically buy a new car every 2 years and I think i enjoy the haggling as much as anything.

20. Default Re: Tesla (previously Volvo dealership)

Elon Musk
    @elonmusk
    Hate to say it, but we need to increase oil & gas output immediately.

Extraordinary times demand extraordinary measures.
    6:40 PM · Mar 4, 2022·Twitter for iPhone

Or just remove franchise requirements and let the free market be free. Crazy concept I know.

22. Default Re: Tesla (previously Volvo dealership)

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Or just remove franchise requirements and let the free market be free. Crazy concept I know.
    Yes, but I am thinking realistically what can happen here. The easiest thing for them to do to sell cars in OK

Yes, but I am thinking realistically what can happen here. The easiest thing for them to do to sell cars in OK
    What is the law currently? Can they sell directly to the consumer because I thought they couldn’t but they skirt around the law somehow. I read in Texas someone living a mile from the new Giga factory in Austin that will produce Cybertrucks will have to have the truck shipped out of the state and returned to them in order to buy one. That is absolutely mind blowing to me.

^^ Everyone I know who's purchased a Tesla has travelled out of state to pick it up. I know they do some deliveries here, but all the sales actually happen out of state.

25. Default Re: Tesla (previously Volvo dealership)

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    What is the law currently? Can they sell directly to the consumer because I thought they couldn’t but they skirt around the law somehow. I read in Texas someone living a mile from the new Giga factory in Austin that will produce Cybertrucks will have to have the truck shipped out of the state and returned to them in order to buy one. That is absolutely mind blowing to me.
    You are correct. I actually was involved in trying to get legislation past a few years ago for Tesla to be able to sell cars in OK. The Oklahoma Auto Dealers Association successfully fought it to the end.

Thread Information