Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 14,000 Harley Davidson owners to visit city in 2009

Default 14,000 Harley Davidson owners to visit city in 2009

More than 14,000 Harley-Davidson motorcycle owners are set to gather in Oklahoma City next June for the group's annual worldwide gathering. State Fair Park and Bricktown will host the Harley Owners Group (HOG) June 26 through June 29.

"Oklahoma City's hip, spirited surroundings combined with its deep western heritage create the perfect backdrop for CLUB HOG OKC," said Benny Suggs, general manager of H.O.G. rider services. "Our members plan on arriving early and staying late so they can take advantage of the many exciting adventures this fantastic part of the country has to offer."

The rallies will include musical performances, stunt and drill teams, demonstration and destination rides and a display of the mobile Harley-Davidson museum.

Jim Cowan, director of the Bricktown Association, said he is confident the district can accommodate the thousands of visitors who frequent the area’s restaurants, shops and attractions.

“We had an event at the ballpark a few years ago and had a small Harley owners group in the ‘90s,” Cowan said. “Both events were extremely successful.”

http://newsok.com/14000-harley-david...adlines_widget

Default Re: 14,000 Harley Davidson owners to visit city in 2009

Wow, that will be HUGE, and a huge boost to the local economy.

Cool, this is going on the calendar. Thankfully the dates don't conflict with ROT.

All of a sudden Bricktown becomes biker friendly? They must be hurting for $$$$. The parking situation will be an issue since most parking garages will NOT accept motorcycles.

5. Default Re: 14,000 Harley Davidson owners to visit city in 2009

That is so exciting! I can't wait.... might have to get another bike. We had a Road King Classic... loved it! But when we moved to OK, the weather wasn't as conducive to riding all the time so it sat in the garage.. and we sold it. Regret it big time.

As far as parking - Most places just block off the streets and bikers park at an angle and line both sides of the streets.
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

Quote Originally Posted by Karried View Post
    That is so exciting! I can't wait.... might have to get another bike. We had a Road King Classic... loved it! But when we moved to OK, the weather wasn't as conducive to riding all the time so it sat in the garage.. and we sold it. Regret it big time.

As far as parking - Most places just block off the streets and bikers park at an angle and line both sides of the streets.

ROT 2008

7. Default Re: 14,000 Harley Davidson owners to visit city in 2009

yup

8. Default Re: 14,000 Harley Davidson owners to visit city in 2009

I got to thread my way through some of ROT 2008, which was going on while I was visiting Austin this past summer. Sterling folks, by and large, and I expect the same from the bikers coming here.

I want to preface this by saying I think this will be great for a our city, tourism and giving others a chance to see Bricktown, State Fair and all our great city has to offer.

That being said, I personally will be out of town that weekend because I live at 23rd and May. I know that is not right next to the State Fairgrounds, but we are three houses from May. Those people will be driving up and down that street and I know I will never be able to sleep. Great for the city, bad for my rest.

10. Default Re: 14,000 Harley Davidson owners to visit city in 2009

Interesting perspective.

I remember we visited Salt Lake to see old friends when the Olympics were coming up, and they were all saying they were getting out of town that week or 2 because it was going to be such a traffic mess and all.

this sounds like a great oppurtunity for price gouging!

Quote Originally Posted by windowphobe View Post
    I got to thread my way through some of ROT 2008, which was going on while I was visiting Austin this past summer. Sterling folks, by and large, and I expect the same from the bikers coming here.
    It is one of the top three events economic impact wise every year here in Austin right up there with SXSW and ACL Fest and by some accounts even a larger impact than those events. It seemed a bit smaller than this year with estimates of around 40,000 instead of the 50-60,000 for the previous few years.

I have a friend who is a district commander for Austin-Travis County EMS and that area is in his district, he dreads it just for the sheer logistics involved and usually tries to take that weekend off and ride in a different direction away from here. It is more of a "cruiser" event than what I participate in with my Triumph. It is neat to see all the bikes running around town though.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    It is one of the top three events economic impact wise every year here in Austin right up there with SXSW and ACL Fest and by some accounts even a larger impact than those events. It seemed a bit smaller than this year with estimates of around 40,000 instead of the 50-60,000 for the previous few years.
    I think the high fuel prices kept some away.

The rally, which has an estimated $34.5 million economic impact for Austin, has grown to the largest motorcycle event in Texas and is pushing to become the third largest in the country behind the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally and Daytona Bike Week in Florida.
    I think the Harley Owners Group (HOG) event will be good for OKC.

...yeah I ran sound for the live music part of the Harley event (in the ballpark) that came through a few years back...that was cool to be a stop on the tour.

This will be great cannot wait to hear the rolling thunder come through town.

What date in 2009?

More than 14,000 Harley-Davidson motorcycle owners are set to gather in Oklahoma City next June for the group's annual worldwide gathering. State Fair Park and Bricktown will host the Harley Owners Group (HOG) June 26 through June 29.
    last weekend in June

MadMonk Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jstanthrnme View Post
    this sounds like a great oppurtunity for price gouging!
    The price for a lap dance is going to soar!

Price gouging, heavy traffic, loud noise, high lap dances, why is it when something good happens, 75% of the people get so negative.
    This is a wonderful event, will bring in millions of $$$$$ and you're true Harley Owners/Riders are wonderful people.

P.S. Yes, I'm a Harley Rider and proud of it!!!!!!!!

MadMonk Guest

My post was tongue-in-cheek. BTW, what are "true" Harley owner/riders and how are they differentiated from other owner/riders?

"True" Harley owners/riders are very dedicated to their American Made Bikes, in turn they often extend that dedication to several charity causes, (March of Dimes, Toys for Tots, Downed Bikers, etc

MadMonk Guest

Ahh, I see. Dedication to their bikes and charities are the deciding factors. So, how do you know when you meet a fellow "real" owner rather than a "non-real" owner? Do you have a super-secret handshake or something?

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonk View Post
    Do you have a super-secret handshake or something?
    Yes, and until you pay your dues, we're not going to teach you the super, super secret handshake.

MadMonk Guest

How much do dues cost? Do you get a "Real" patch? Maybe if I buy enough officially licensed Harley Davidson® clothing I'll get in. Where do RUBs get their designer leathers?

25. Default Re: 14,000 Harley Davidson owners to visit city in 2009

Here's how you join... Pay 20K to 40K for a Harley... Take a class, learn to ride and get a license.

You can get a real patch from H.O.G ...

Dues = Survive a few lay downs and close calls by clueless drivers without dying. You're In!

Welcome to the Club.

Welcome Harley Riders!!!

"Loud Pipes Save Lives"

Thread Information