Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 55
  1. #1
    Achilleslastand's Avatar
    Achilleslastand is offline Participating Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,380

    Default Open Carry, law student owns cop who is ignorant to the law .


  2. #2
    kevinpate's Avatar
    kevinpate is offline Gold Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    12,064

    Default Re: Open Carry, law student owns cop who is ignorant to the law .


  3. #3
    kelroy55's Avatar
    kelroy55 is offline Gold Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    5,690

    Default Re: Open Carry, law student owns cop who is ignorant to the law .

    ooops double post

  4. #4
    kelroy55's Avatar
    kelroy55 is offline Gold Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    5,690

    Default Re: Open Carry, law student owns cop who is ignorant to the law .

    Wasn't this a couple years ago? So people report somebody is walking around with a gun and the LEO stops the person in question. It sounded like the LEO was respectful and the young kid was being a smart-ass.

  5. #5
    BoulderSooner is offline Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    4,136

    Default Re: Open Carry, law student owns cop who is ignorant to the law .

    Quote Originally Posted by kelroy55 View Post
    Wasn't this a couple years ago? So people report somebody is walking around with a gun and the LEO stops the person in question. It sounded like the LEO was respectful and the young kid was being a smart-ass.
    How so? He was stopped for no reason and he acted respectful

  6. #6
    kelroy55's Avatar
    kelroy55 is offline Gold Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    5,690

    Default Re: Open Carry, law student owns cop who is ignorant to the law .

    Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    How so? He was stopped for no reason and he acted respectful
    He was stopped because people reported a person walking around with a gun. Are you suggesting the LEO not investigate?

  7. #7
    Stew's Avatar
    Stew is offline Gold Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,784

    Default Re: Open Carry, law student owns cop who is ignorant to the law .

    Quote Originally Posted by kelroy55 View Post
    He was stopped because people reported a person walking around with a gun. Are you suggesting the LEO not investigate?
    Cops should investigate "crime" and not neighborhood hysteria. Where open carry is legal then the person carrying shouldn't be harassed by law enforcement for simply carrying unless there is probable cause the person is committing a crime. Obviously the cops in this stop agree since they let the guy walk without incident.

    Police are hired to protect our rights not to harass us for exercising those rights.

  8. #8
    Sid Burgess's Avatar
    Sid Burgess is offline Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    4,935
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Open Carry, law student owns cop who is ignorant to the law .

    Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    Police are hired to protect our rights not to harass us for exercising those rights.
    Almost there. Local police are also hired to provide basic public safety. Something that puts them directly interested with people walking around openly carrying a weapon.
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. -Albert Einstein

  9. #9
    OKCRT is offline Participating Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    648

    Default Re: Open Carry, law student owns cop who is ignorant to the law .

    Quote Originally Posted by sidburgess View Post
    Almost there. Local police are also hired to provide basic public safety. Something that puts them directly interested with people walking around openly carrying a weapon.

    It's not illegal to open carry and the police have no business harassing someone just because they are.

    If someone is walking down the street minding their own business should the police be able to stop that person and ask to see their ID?

  10. #10
    Stew's Avatar
    Stew is offline Gold Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,784

    Default Re: Open Carry, law student owns cop who is ignorant to the law .

    Quote Originally Posted by sidburgess View Post
    Almost there. Local police are also hired to provide basic public safety...
    I agree totally. Still A person walking the street open carrying where it's legal should be assumed to be doing so legally unless there's a legitimate cause to think otherwise. Ya know the supreme court thing about the assumption of innocence in the absence of contrary evidence. I can't see how somebody obeying the law can be construed as contrary evidence therefore it should not be seen as a threat to the public safety that a cop needs to investigate.

  11. #11
    kelroy55's Avatar
    kelroy55 is offline Gold Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    5,690

    Default Re: Open Carry, law student owns cop who is ignorant to the law .

    Quote Originally Posted by OKCRT View Post
    It's not illegal to open carry and the police have no business harassing someone just because they are.

    If someone is walking down the street minding their own business should the police be able to stop that person and ask to see their ID?
    The LEO might have but there was a report on this guy and he was dispatched to investigate. He stopped him, investigated and sent him on his way. Like I asked earlier are you suggesting if an officer is dispatched to a man carrying a gun you think he should wave and drive on by?

  12. #12
    Stew's Avatar
    Stew is offline Gold Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,784

    Default Re: Open Carry, law student owns cop who is ignorant to the law .

    Quote Originally Posted by kelroy55 View Post
    The LEO might have but there was a report on this guy and he was dispatched to investigate. He stopped him, investigated and sent him on his way. Like I asked earlier are you suggesting if an officer is dispatched to a man carrying a gun you think he should wave and drive on by?
    Then by that logic if I report a black man walking in my white neighborhood should the cops be dispatched to investigate?

  13. #13
    kelroy55's Avatar
    kelroy55 is offline Gold Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    5,690

    Default Re: Open Carry, law student owns cop who is ignorant to the law .

    Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    Then by that logic if I report a black man walking in my white neighborhood should the cops be dispatched to investigate?
    Comparing that to a report of a man with a gun is just ignorant.

  14. #14
    Stew's Avatar
    Stew is offline Gold Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,784

    Default Re: Open Carry, law student owns cop who is ignorant to the law .

    Quote Originally Posted by kelroy55 View Post
    Comparing that to a report of a man with a gun is just ignorant.
    Nope, it's not ignorant at all. In both cases there was no crime reported therefore nothing to investigate unless you consider pandering to irrational fears as worthy of a police investigation.

  15. #15
    kelroy55's Avatar
    kelroy55 is offline Gold Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    5,690

    Default Re: Open Carry, law student owns cop who is ignorant to the law .

    I don't consider a report of a man with a gun to be irrational however reporting a black person in a white neighborhood is not only irrational but it's bigoted and ignorant.

  16. #16
    Stew's Avatar
    Stew is offline Gold Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,784

    Default Re: Open Carry, law student owns cop who is ignorant to the law .

    Quote Originally Posted by kelroy55 View Post
    I don't consider a report of a man with a gun to be irrational however reporting a black person in a white neighborhood is not only irrational but it's bigoted and ignorant.
    And reporting an open carry where it's legal to do so is irrational and ignorant.

  17. #17
    BoulderSooner is offline Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    4,136

    Default Re: Open Carry, law student owns cop who is ignorant to the law .

    Quote Originally Posted by kelroy55 View Post
    I don't consider a report of a man with a gun to be irrational however reporting a black person in a white neighborhood is not only irrational but it's bigoted and ignorant.
    How about a repot of a man with a tennis racket. Or driving a car? The report was not that the man was waving a gun or acting crazy. He was wearing a gun. The LEO had nothing to investigate

  18. #18
    kelroy55's Avatar
    kelroy55 is offline Gold Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    5,690

    Default Re: Open Carry, law student owns cop who is ignorant to the law .

    We'll just have to agree to disagree.

  19. #19
    WilliamTell is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,081

    Default Re: Open Carry, law student owns cop who is ignorant to the law .

    I'm not going to get too deep into this subject just because in other threads i've stated how against open carry I am even though i concealed carry most weekends...

    But why would any reasonable person ever find the need to openly carry a weapon in the day and age where we have random shootings, school shootings, etc. If all you want to protect yourself and your family why would you purposely draw all that attention to yourself?


    After all the recent events ---- white male walking in the mall with a weapon..


    A 5 second call is all it would take for a person to be surrounded by cops. Alot of white males have killed alot of people in recent months in seemingly similar situations.

  20. #20
    BBatesokc's Avatar
    BBatesokc is offline Participating Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    5,150

    Default Re: Open Carry, law student owns cop who is ignorant to the law .

    Quote Originally Posted by OKCRT View Post
    It's not illegal to open carry and the police have no business harassing someone just because they are.

    If someone is walking down the street minding their own business should the police be able to stop that person and ask to see their ID?
    Actually, police are dispatched to investigate incidents all the time that have zero proof of illegal activity. One of the most common dispatches is, "check for suspicious subject" because someone called 911 because they simply think someone is acting 'odd' - not illegal, just odd.

    Its also not illegal to be in a short skirt walking up and down South Robinson Ave. and get in and out of cars, but police investigate those fine citizens all day long and often detain them for 10-30 minutes at a time.

    Not being argumentative, just throwing it out there.

  21. #21
    zookeeper's Avatar
    zookeeper is offline Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,042

    Default Re: Open Carry, law student owns cop who is ignorant to the law .

    Quote Originally Posted by WilliamTell View Post
    I'm not going to get too deep into this subject just because in other threads i've stated how against open carry I am even though i concealed carry most weekends...

    But why would any reasonable person ever find the need to openly carry a weapon in the day and age where we have random shootings, school shootings, etc. If all you want to protect yourself and your family why would you purposely draw all that attention to yourself?


    After all the recent events ---- white male walking in the mall with a weapon..


    A 5 second call is all it would take for a person to be surrounded by cops. Alot of white males have killed alot of people in recent months in seemingly similar situations.
    Yes, that's called profiling WT, I didn't think you supported that? Why the hang-up with white males? Black males kill people daily in cities all across the country in numbers far exceeding their percentage of the population. Just because the high profile events of several victims at once have been by white males, you are suggesting cops do what you claim to despise when it's the other way around, profiling! Hypocrisy. Damn those white males with guns, they've just flat out ruined so many big cities, huh?

  22. #22
    SoonerSoftail's Avatar
    SoonerSoftail is offline Participating Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    765

    Default Re: Open Carry, law student owns cop who is ignorant to the law .

    Quote Originally Posted by sidburgess View Post
    Almost there. Local police are also hired to provide basic public safety. Something that puts them directly interested with people walking around openly carrying a weapon.
    Got to disagree with you on this one. Open carry is as legal as eating a sandwich in Oklahoma. As long as the weapon is carried properly (holstered, and not in a banned area) you should not be detained, questioned, etc. by law enforcement. Instead, the officer should inform the citizen who called the police of the points of the law.

  23. #23
    BBatesokc's Avatar
    BBatesokc is offline Participating Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    5,150

    Default Re: Open Carry, law student owns cop who is ignorant to the law .

    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerSoftail View Post
    Got to disagree with you on this one. Open carry is as legal as eating a sandwich in Oklahoma. As long as the weapon is carried properly (holstered, and not in a banned area) you should not be detained, questioned, etc. by law enforcement. Instead, the officer should inform the citizen who called the police of the points of the law.
    That's all great, except for the fact the law clearly says if you're open carrying in Oklahoma, an officer can request your ID at any time and for no other reason.

    Also, as long as the officer is professional and doesn't needlessly harass or detain a person, I personally don't have an issue with it.

    I can be legally fishing, hunting, or boating and an officer can legally approach me at any time and request a fishing license, hunting license or check to see that I have life jackets. This gun thing is no anomaly - similar things happen all the time.

  24. #24
    kelroy55's Avatar
    kelroy55 is offline Gold Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    5,690

    Default Re: Open Carry, law student owns cop who is ignorant to the law .

    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerSoftail View Post
    Got to disagree with you on this one. Open carry is as legal as eating a sandwich in Oklahoma. As long as the weapon is carried properly (holstered, and not in a banned area) you should not be detained, questioned, etc. by law enforcement. Instead, the officer should inform the citizen who called the police of the points of the law.

    You don't need a license to eat a sandwich in Oklahoma.

  25. #25
    RadicalModerate is offline Gold Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    9,747
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Open Carry, law student owns cop who is ignorant to the law .

    It looks like the law student owns the rights to the video, too . . . And apparently Youtube isn't ignorant of that fact.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Should school teachers be allowed to open carry?
    By Plutonic Panda in forum Politics
    Replies: 180
    Last Post: 02-11-2013, 04:14 PM
  2. Open Carry
    By Prunepicker in forum Politics
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 07-31-2012, 08:03 PM
  3. Open Carry Law Set to Pass
    By LandRunOkie in forum General Civic Issues
    Replies: 390
    Last Post: 07-20-2012, 12:31 AM
  4. OK Intoxicating Law
    By Karried in forum General Civic Issues
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-20-2006, 08:45 PM
  5. law
    By ladyrenegade1994 in forum Current Events & Open Topic
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-25-2004, 01:42 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1