View Full Version : 2011 Oklahoma earthquake linked to oil extraction wastewater

SatelliteHigh
03-27-2013, 11:36 AM
Oklahoma earthquake linked to oil extraction wastewater
By Jason Palmer Science and technology reporter, BBC News
Two men hug in quake aftermath The quake's cause was hotly debated from the day that it struck Oklahoma
Continue reading the main story
Related Stories

Fracking earth tremor risk 'low' Watch
Fracking contamination downplayed

Scientists have linked the underground injection of oil-drilling wastewater to a magnitude-5.7 earthquake in 2011 that struck the US state of Oklahoma.

Wastewater injection from drilling operations has been linked to seismic events in the past, but these have typically been much smaller quakes.

They also have tended to occur in the first weeks or months of injection.

The study in Geology suggests that "induced seismicity" can occur years after wastewater injection begins.

Wastewater was first injected into Oklahoma's Wilzetta oilfields, near the town of Prague, some 18 years prior to the November 2011 series of quakes that included three of magnitude 5 or greater.

The new study adds to an increasing body of evidence that the injection of wastewater is correlated to an increase in seismic events.

A comprehensive review in 2012 by the US' National Academy of Sciences found that "injection for disposal of waste water derived from energy technologies into the subsurface does pose some risk for induced seismicity".

However, the report said the number of such documented events over several decades was small compared to the overall number of operations carried out.

In April 2012, a study by scientists at the US Geological Survey of the interior of the US found that events of magnitude 3 or greater had "abruptly increased in 2009" from 1.2 per year in the previous 50 years to more than 25 per year - although a number of gas and oil extraction methods may be implicated in the rise.
'Unexpectedly large'

But the authors of the new study focus on the significantly larger and delayed events in Prague, which they wrote "necessitate reconsideration of the maximum possible size of injection-induced earthquakes, and of the time scale considered diagnostic of induced seismicity".

Study co-author Geoffrey Abers of Columbia University said that "there's something important about getting unexpectedly large earthquakes out of small systems that we have discovered here, " adding that "the risk of humans inducing large earthquakes from even small injection activities is probably higher" than had been believed.
North Dakota drilling rig An increase in seismic events has been noted across the US "midcontinent"

But seismologist Austin Holland of the Oklahoma Geological Survey said while the study showed a potential link between the earthquake and wastewater injection, "it is still the opinion of those at the Oklahoma Geological Survey that these earthquakes could be naturally occurring".

"There remain many open questions, and more scientific investigations are underway on this sequence of earthquakes and many others within the state of Oklahoma," he said.

The topic is particularly relevant to the hydraulic fracturing or "fracking" debate.

In fracking, water, sand and chemicals are injected into petroleum wells in a bid to extract trapped natural gas.

Opponents of the practice say that it risks causing seismic events and contaminating groundwater.

The National Academies report concluded that "the process of hydraulic fracturing a well as presently implemented for shale gas recovery does not pose a high risk for inducing felt seismic events".

But fracking creates wastewater that is often injected underground just as in conventional drilling, a practice that has been implicated in seismic events as well, but that is currently prohibited by EU legislation.

The topic remains hotly debated in the scientific literature, and between lobbyists and policy-makers, particularly in the UK.

Links between fracking in Blackpool and tremors in the region led to a government ban on the practice, which was lifted at the end of December 2012.

BBC News - Oklahoma earthquake linked to oil extraction wastewater (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-21952428)

Bunty
03-27-2013, 11:46 AM
BUT "it is still the opinion of those at the Oklahoma Geological Survey that these earthquakes could be naturally occurring".

TaoMaas
03-27-2013, 12:02 PM
I've lived in Oklahoma almost 60 years. For about 55 of those years, I don't recall ever experiencing an earthquake that I actually felt. Now...it seems like there's one every month or two. I find it very hard to believe that this is just natural. One or two...yeah, maybe. But not as many as we've been having these last few years.

Lord Helmet
03-27-2013, 12:36 PM
I've lived in Oklahoma almost 60 years. For about 55 of those years, I don't recall ever experiencing an earthquake that I actually felt. Now...it seems like there's one every month or two. I find it very hard to believe that this is just natural. One or two...yeah, maybe. But not as many as we've been having these last few years.

I read somewhere that the earthquakes have something to do with god and legalizing gay marriage. I think it was on Facebook.

Just the facts
03-27-2013, 01:05 PM
Personally I think the correlation is a no-brainer. A cracked rock is weaker than a solid rock. The real question is, is the requirement for gasoline worth the risk? What is a bigger problem, earthquakes in Oklahoma or wars in the Middle East?

Dubya61
03-27-2013, 02:04 PM
Personally I think the correlation is a no-brainer. A cracked rock is weaker than a solid rock. The real question is, is the requirement for gasoline worth the risk? What is a bigger problem, earthquakes in Oklahoma or wars in the Middle East?

Actually, I think a cracked rock would tend to cause fewer earthquakes than a solid rock. Ventilation provides greater release of stress causers.

OKCTalker
03-27-2013, 02:04 PM
Why is this in the Politics section?

WilliamTell
03-27-2013, 04:34 PM
good question...i get the boom, yeah yeah our state is doing better, but what about ground water. we know that fracking is causing the earthquakes, what about the waste water getting into ground water sources?

Just the facts
03-27-2013, 05:05 PM
Ground water a mile deep?

Plutonic Panda
03-27-2013, 06:08 PM
Why is this in the Politics section?Because the op was smart enough to know that this will likely turn into a discussion about global warming and the horrible man made atrocities and how great Obama is for the environment and the EPA, you know the drill. ;)

P.S. I'm not taking either side in this debate. I'm withholding my opinions on this matter. :)

WilliamTell
03-27-2013, 06:15 PM
Ground water a mile deep?

facepalm!

I own mineral rights (well grand parents did and they were deeded), and you obviously know nothing about drilling. You have to go through something to get a mile deep right? OMG, im so confused.

Stew
03-27-2013, 06:28 PM
facepalm!

I own mineral rights (well grand parents did and they were deeded), and you obviously know nothing about drilling. You have to go through something to get a mile deep right? OMG, im so confused.

I own mineral rights as well and I don't know squat about drilling. Now I feel really stupid.

Just the facts
03-27-2013, 06:45 PM
facepalm!

Yes, but the bore hole is lined with pipe is it not?

WilliamTell
03-27-2013, 07:05 PM
Yes, but the bore hole is lined with pipe is it not?

I actually want to have a civil conversation about this so i'll stop the grand standing. Yes the lines have pipe in them and they go below the water table. The potential problem that you have is that of the millions of fissures that the pumping creates could potentially extend up to the water table. People forget that when they are fracking they are pumping around 5 million gallons of fluid down the holes under crazy amounts of pressure to release the gas. Not every frack job could result in it, and it couldnt even happen immediately. But there has been numerous well documented cases of where the fluid and chemicals have gotten outside of the well and killed entire water supplies. I also forgot the name of the bill but during the bush administration there was a bill that was passed that excempted fracking from the clean water act. I'll look for it and post it here.

I'm no hater of natural gas and even opening admit that im a hypocrite when it comes to this issue. But I honestly think that more should be done to limit the potential contamination that could occur.

There are dozens if not hundreds of videos like this from all over the country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LBjSXWQRV8

Just the facts
03-27-2013, 07:28 PM
So lets just go with the assumptions:

1) Groundwater get contaminated
2) It causes earthquakes

What do you want to do about it, because we really need the fuel? Our economy would grind to a halt without every single BTU of it and we use every drop they can pull out of the ground. More enviornmentally sensitive methods cost more, which drives up the price, and we see what happens to our economy when prices only go up a little bit. So the question is, is some groundwater contamination and minor earthquakes worth it?

WilliamTell
03-27-2013, 07:36 PM
So lets just go with the assumptions:

1) Groundwater get contaminated
2) It causes earthquakes

What do you want to do about it, because we really need the fuel? Our economy would grind to a halt without every single BTU of it and we use every drop they can pull out of the ground. More enviornmentally sensitive methods cost more, which drives up the price, and we see what happens to our economy when prices only go up a little bit. So the question is, is some groundwater contamination and minor earthquakes worth it?

I understand what you are saying. Where is the trade off and how do we decide before its too late. Fracking really didnt become widespread until the last 10-15 years and i think we somehow managed fine with out it, while it would impact okc in the near term i do think there could be some sort of balance.

Earth quakes, above land water resources getting limited, big legal battles over bodies of water while we are allowing billions of gallons of chemicals to be injected into the ground water supply each year...at some point something has to give.

Just the facts
03-27-2013, 07:50 PM
Fracking really didnt become widespread until the last 10-15 years and i think we somehow managed fine with out it, while it would impact okc in the near term i do think there could be some sort of balance.

I'm not so sure we were fine though. We had oil supply disruptions and constant involvement in the Middle East. Plus, all the easy oil is gone.

SatelliteHigh
03-28-2013, 07:01 AM
Long write-up on the story and subject in Mother Jones magazine:

Fracking's Latest Scandal? Earthquake Swarms | Mother Jones (http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2013/03/does-fracking-cause-earthquakes-wastewater-dewatering)

Just the facts
03-28-2013, 07:09 AM
Well, all I can say is start living a lifestyle that doesn't require carbon based fuels. If building such a human habitat is illegal in your area contact your public representatives and tell them stop spreading development out all over the place and make things within waking or biking distance. If they don't listen move to a place that already offers these alternate modes of transportation. But if you are waiting around for alternative fuels to solve the problem - it ISN'T going to happen so you can stop waiting.