View Full Version : Del City and the Southeast side???

Fantastic
07-23-2012, 06:12 PM
Out of all the places we could be moving, we are going to the one area of the metro (southeast) that I do not frequent (asside from Tinker)... So, friends, do forgive my ignorance but is anyone familiar with the SW area of Del City? We moved from bad to worse last time, and I don’t want to do it again. Seemed like the neighborhood was mostly older people, and military families (pretty close to Tinker). Can anyone think of anything I need to know (aside from avoiding Trosper Park and the south stretch of Robinson Ave? LOL) My main concern was the neighborhoods between Sunnylane, Bryant, 29th, and 44th (particularly the SW part of that area around Sequoyah Park and Oakridge Elementry)

The current situation with our landlord/neighbor has me (literally) fearful for my family's safety, and I don't want to move somewhere where we may also have problems. Keep in mind... this is nothing bad about Del City (I'm just not familiar with the area), but I tend to frequent the central core, north, northwest, and west sides of the city, and I also regularly venture into the south, southwest, east, and northeast sides... I know a fair estimate good and bad in those areas, but for some reason, southeast is an area I rarely go.

We are very sad to leave our neighborhood, but just cant handle the situation any longer. Any help would be kindly appreciated.

boscorama
07-23-2012, 07:52 PM
Sorry, I know nothing about Del City area, but I'm curious: why are you moving to Del City?

Watson410
07-23-2012, 08:47 PM
That area is kind of hit and miss... There's some good streets with a bad street sprinkled in. I'm a service tech., so I pretty much drive everywhere, all day long.. We do A LOT of work in that area... Between 29th and 44th, The closer to Sunnylane the better once you start getting closer to Bryant is starts getting a little worse... 44th and Bryant is a pretty bad area. Again, there's good streets and bad streets sprinkled through that whole area. This may or may not be a better area than your living now, I can't really tell you that without knowing about where your living now. This may sound kind of weird, but you can tell a lot about an area by hanging out at a gas station for 10-15 mins. LOL. I spend a lot of time sitting in my work van at gas stations waiting on the next job... Sit there for 10 mins or so and people watch, you'll know all you need to know. Sit at the 7-11 on 44th and Bryant then go sit at the Williams (or whatever it's called now) on 29th and Sunnylane. Just try it!! It works!! Lol.

BBatesokc
07-23-2012, 08:57 PM
I live near SE 44 and Sooner. The area you referred to is certainly a higher crime and gang area. When I go along on bounty hunting jobs we seem to find ourselves in the SE 44 and Bryant area ALOT. The 7-11 area at that corner can be a dangerous place after dark.

That said, even my neighborhood is pretty rough at times. I live on a cul-de-sac and virtually all of my neighbors except myself have been burglarized one or more times and I've been there 14 years. Now that our son is moved out and college is taken care of, we plan on moving.

If you find a street that is owner occupied and they are not of death's door step you can get a house pretty cheap and probably have very few problems. Heck, I know people in $500,000 homes in Edmond that get burglarized all the time, so it probably doesn't matter too much.

As for shopping, the MWC Wal-Mart is terrible. The Homeland at SE 29 and Sooner is clean and not that full - but expensive.

I actually do most of my grocery shopping at the MWC Sam's, Braums (SE 44/Sunnylane) and the Wal-Mart Neighborhood market at SW 44 and Western. The gas stations in the area are pretty sketchy at night. We only us the On Cue at SE 29 and Sooner.

The shopping across from Tinker (Target, Lowe's, etc.) is nice though.

Fantastic
07-23-2012, 11:49 PM
Sorry, I know nothing about Del City area, but I'm curious: why are you moving to Del City?

It's a long story, but we have to get out NOW!!! We live in a duplex right next to our landlord... little did we know the problems he would cause us (drugs and drinking are enough on there own... togeather they make very bad ju-ju for the whole neighborhood). He has vandalized our car and our side of the property, left numerous little notes in our mailbox that make absolutly no sense... I'm talking CRAZY stuff in these notes, left all kinds of random "presents" on our doorstep/car/recycle bin/fence/porch (both back and front)/anywhere else he thinks will do. He has also harrassed other neighbors, in many ways that are acctually rather funny and would make a good movie (I will elaborate if necessary), but in real life these things are not funny. He likes having conversations with us and other neighbors that don't make any sense and often end with foul language about the C.I.A, Commies, Marilyn Monroe, European airlines, the sidewalk (seriously), etc.

After the car vandalizing incident the Police acctually told us to get out, to break the lease and go...

Most reciently there was some furniture and other trash type stuffs outside in one of the neighbors yards waiting for big trash day... nothing like coming home to an act of arson in the neighborhood... according to the OCFD "someone" used an accellerant to set that stuff ablaze

Fantastic
07-24-2012, 12:03 AM
Oh, I forgot to explain why Del City... The house is owned by a military retiree who is currently a supervisor civilian side at Tinker. He is giving us $100 off rent (which will help us get everything together to make a purchase later), and no deposit/pet deposit. He originally wanted first and last month's rent up front, but after hearing about everything we had been through he said he would work out the last month later just to help us get out of here.

Another advantage is that he is fine with our dogs. Most landlords are either ok with dogs or not, but if they are, they will ALWAYS say limit two... "Well, gosh, I don't know. Three? My goodness! That third dog just won't do!" Nevermind the fact that she is 3 lbs, and the other two are 5 lbs and 8 lbs... we're not talking German Shepards!

Anywho, we got so frustrated over the last couple of weeks because up and moving on a moment's notice was NOT in the plan that we thought we should go ahead and take this for a year until we can purchase. It's not like the guy is desperate to find someone to rent to. When we viewed the property he had four other prospective tenants come look at it (all of which showed interest), when we left (even with these other people looking at it) he told us it was ours if we wanted it.

bombermwc
07-24-2012, 06:53 AM
In a short word....Don't. SW DC is by far the worst part of DC. The crime rate in that area is high because of the OKC city limit right there with no police patrols to keep things in line. It's sort of an abandoned area of OKC from all sides. DC, unfortunately, gets the carry-over.

mmonroe
07-24-2012, 08:08 AM
As for shopping, the MWC Wal-Mart is terrible.

You drive all the way to 23rd and Douglas to go to WalMart... unless of course you're referring to the DEL CITY WalMart that is in Del City.

RadicalModerate
07-24-2012, 08:10 AM
I have to agree with Bomber. Although I haven't frequented--or had to deal with it--in years, 44th and Bryant has been a rough area for as long as I remember (going back to the early 80's). On the other hand, the further east you go, toward Sooner Road and Tinker Field, the better it gets. Maybe I should say "less bad" rather than better.

NoOkie
07-24-2012, 11:30 AM
Oh, I forgot to explain why Del City... The house is owned by a military retiree who is currently a supervisor civilian side at Tinker. He is giving us $100 off rent (which will help us get everything together to make a purchase later), and no deposit/pet deposit. He originally wanted first and last month's rent up front, but after hearing about everything we had been through he said he would work out the last month later just to help us get out of here.

Another advantage is that he is fine with our dogs. Most landlords are either ok with dogs or not, but if they are, they will ALWAYS say limit two... "Well, gosh, I don't know. Three? My goodness! That third dog just won't do!" Nevermind the fact that she is 3 lbs, and the other two are 5 lbs and 8 lbs... we're not talking German Shepards!

Anywho, we got so frustrated over the last couple of weeks because up and moving on a moment's notice was NOT in the plan that we thought we should go ahead and take this for a year until we can purchase. It's not like the guy is desperate to find someone to rent to. When we viewed the property he had four other prospective tenants come look at it (all of which showed interest), when we left (even with these other people looking at it) he told us it was ours if we wanted it.

I feel your pain on the dog situation. Me and my wife somehow ended up with 4 pets(2 cats, 2 dogs) and are too soft to even think about getting rid of them. I had to negotiate a special clause to my lease with my current landlord and fork over a very large pet deposit. At least it's partially refundable.

RadicalModerate
07-24-2012, 03:01 PM
"Partially Refundable Pet Deposit" . . .
I infer that Hope Springs Eternal.
I Hope that S.DelCity has improved.

easternobserver
07-24-2012, 04:51 PM
"Partially Refundable Pet Deposit" . . .
I infer that Hope Springs Eternal.
I Hope that S.DelCity has improved.

You have to understand a few things about that neighborhood (hartsdel).

First, part of the neighborhood is in the del city school district and the west part is in okc. Years ago the mid del schools were offered the chance to annex the school and the rest of the neighborhood and refused. The district dividing line has thus remained a geographical boundary between better and not so better houses, simply because of the unwillingness of young families to move in to the okc district.

Second, a lot of the far sw part of the neighborhood is in the floodplain. This has depressed home values. Much of that may change soon because of the bond issue for drainage that del city passed last year, but the results are what they are for now.

Third, in other areas of the city, the city was able to shut down blighted apartments. They have tried to do so with the apartment complex at 29th and Bryant but that complex had better lawyers and because it is a a section either project the Feds were on the owners side.

Fourth, the far sw corner of the neighborhood borders okc, in an area that the city of okc seems to have forgotten. There are some nasty apartments and nasty shopping centers down there. Consequently, there hasn't been much that del city could do about the dilapidated shopping center on its side of the street. Wo would invest there with the other sides of the street looking as they do?

Fifth, this neighborhood has a very active neighborhood watch.

Sixth, del city's home inspection program has really cut crime rates across town, and the effects have been seen here too. Unfortunately, the apartments bring in out of town troublemakers.

Seventh, these were well built houses and have stood up to time better than a lot from the same era.

From my posts, ou will see that I am generally a cheerleader for del city and the eastern part of Oklahoma county. I live around 44th and sooner in the tornado area and love it there. Del city is going in the rot direction, with the new swimming pool, new city hall, new police station, new community center, new welcome center, new development on sooner road, tearing down the apartments, etc. Soon to come could be a new library, new fire station, and new sports complex, not to mention the newest news about a hotel and convention center at Scott street.

It's a small enough town that concerned citizens can make a big difference. That said, the problems mentioned above have to be considered when moving your family. Best advice -- all towns have good and bad. Check the street and house at night as well as in the day. Talk to the neighbors.

BBatesokc
07-24-2012, 07:49 PM
I will say I really appreciate Del City police. While I technically like in OKC, I have had dealings with DCPD several times. Most recently when I spotted a guy going in and out of garages on my street but couldn't catch up with him until we entered Del City. The guy was armed and lots of DCPD unit showed up. All were very friendly and professional. Had a hit and run happen to me at the Chinese restaurant on SE 29 several years ago and the Del City cop who responded went out of his way to try and locate the vehicle. Been pulled over twice by DCPD and given a warning or let go each time.

mmonroe
07-24-2012, 08:30 PM
My first speeding ticket was compliments of the DCPD. They're active i'll say that much for a town of 6 square miles.

Fantastic
07-24-2012, 11:08 PM
Thanks for all your imput guys... what you have all said was pretty much inline with what I thought about the area. I didn't say it earlier because I didn't want to offend anyone, but the reason I am not familiar with the area is because I'm not fond of it. Asside from Tinker, I don't usually go to that area because I simply don't like it (nothing against the area or anyone who does frequent it).

Brought up some of our concerns with the landlord, and he suggested going month to month for a while until we found something we liked better. As I said he is retired military and has said that he has no problem finding renters, but I think he is looking to help us out since we are in a desperate situation, and there is a sense of comradery due to his service (Air Force) and mine (Air National Guard).

We asked him about neighborhood problems, and he was very forthcoming about it and said pretty much the same things you guys said. He did say that the neighborhood itself wasn't bad. Lived there 5 years with no problems, previous tenants 3 years no problems, but he did verify that 44th and Bryant (which is quite close) was bad ju-ju.

MDot
07-25-2012, 10:13 AM
What others have said is pretty much true. I grew up in the 44th and Bryant area and I still practically live there as my Great-Grandparents live in a neighborhood off of Bryant just a little north of 44th, so I'm there about 4-5 days of the week visiting and taking care of them (I'm there now as I type this). There's definately a lot of "activity", but it's kind of hit and miss really.

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't recommend it to anyone wanting to buy a house in the area, but since you're renting, it may not be so bad (depending on how long you're there). If it's an area with elderly folks and retired military and less young people (18-30's), I highly doubt you will find much of a problem, but I can't/won't tell you that as you explore the area -- if you do -- you'll never encounter, first person or third person, some sort of crime or wrong doing. Just keep your guard up and be prepared in-case something does come about.

Side Note - Remember, I'm talking about the 44th and Bryant area, if you're closer to Sunnylane then that can be a completely different story depending on the exact location.

Fantastic
07-25-2012, 10:51 AM
my Great-Grandparents live in a neighborhood off of Bryant just a little north of 44th

That sounds like exactly the area we are going, so I feel a little better knowing that there are good people around. Like I said earlier, seemed like alot of families, but I'm sure it could be rough in spots. My family and I pretty much keep to ourselves, so we won't be out looking for trouble, and this is definitly not the forever solution. We need 6 months to a year to prepare to buy, so this might be a good temporary solution.

Thanks again everybody! Even though there have been alot of negative things said about the area, I feel better just knowing what to expect.

MDot
07-25-2012, 10:56 AM
That sounds like exactly the area we are going, so I feel a little better knowing that there are good people around. Like I said earlier, seemed like alot of families, but I'm sure it could be rough in spots. My family and I pretty much keep to ourselves, so we won't be out looking for trouble, and this is definitly not the forever solution. We need 6 months to a year to prepare to buy, so this might be a good temporary solution.

You'll be fine then. It's the ones who go about looking for trouble or always putting their nose where it doesn't belong that run into problems. Wish you and your family the best of luck!!

EDIT to say: There are alot of good people, especially the older ones. The bad ones get the most attention and are usually pretty easy to pick out; there are also far more of them than alot of other parts of the city, but some of the nicer people in the metro can also be found here.

My Great-Grandpa is retired from the Marines, Army and Air Force and he was transferred from Carswell Air Force Base in Ft. Worth when he returned from Vietnam to Tinker approx. 43 years ago, so you'll find neat little stories of older people who are here for similar reasons.