View Full Version : Downtown/Midtown Rental Prices

BDK
06-13-2012, 09:09 AM
I was hoping those of you that live downtown or in midtown might share your rental costs or those of your friends. I am hoping to move up to OKC from Norman in August; 7 years in Norman have been enough and the reverse-commute doesn't seem so bad for my last year of school. I've been poking around online, but I have yet to get a firm grip on how much I should expect to pay. Thanks in advance. If this thread is duplicative, I apologize, as well.

lindsey
06-13-2012, 09:27 AM
I'd expect to pay MUCH more than you pay right now in Norman. For a one bedroom I'd expect to pay at least $1400, but why don't you call Deep Deuce Apartments, LEVEL, Legacy at the Arts Quarter, Park Harvey Apartments....not sure about the names of the place in midtown. There are also some garage lofts on Broadway that have vacancy now.

onthestrip
06-13-2012, 09:46 AM
At least $1400? Is that really the minimum someone can expect to pay?

soonermike81
06-13-2012, 09:49 AM
Yeah $1400 seems kind of high. From what I heard recently, a one-bedroom at Level is around $900 or so and a 2-bedroom is around $1200. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I know my buddy is in a studio at Park Harvey, and he is paying around $1000 with all utilities included from what I remember him telling me a couple of years ago.

kevinpate
06-13-2012, 09:59 AM
Depends if you are seeking near DT core, or just in OKC inner loop. If you are not insistent on DT, your options broaden a lot, and for a lot less. That being said, if I were to up and leave Norman after 25+ years, it would be to be very close to DT.

I like Norman though, a lot. If I didn't, I would have simply returned to se ok back in 89. Norman has made an interesting plan b though.

jeff.
06-13-2012, 10:00 AM
I live in 1212 N Walker in Midtown right by Louies and it runs me about $1024 and it is one of the more pricier units I've seen. I think others in the building start around $900. My cousin lives at Hadden Hall where he pays $850 a month. At the Florence (which shares the parking lot where I live) they charge around $600 a month. These are all in Midtown. Just go drive around and stop by some residentials and locate their offices and asks questions. I never saw any of these aforementioned places in apartment buying guides.

BDK
06-13-2012, 10:25 AM
I live in 1212 N Walker in Midtown right by Louies and it runs me about $1024 and it is one of the more pricier units I've seen. I think others in the building start around $900. My cousin lives at Hadden Hall where he pays $850 a month. At the Florence (which shares the parking lot where I live) they charge around $600 a month. These are all in Midtown. Just go drive around and stop by some residentials and locate their offices and asks questions. I never saw any of these aforementioned places in apartment buying guides.

I'll likely drive around midtown, then; as I will be driving to school most days, living the business district isn't a priority.

adaniel
06-13-2012, 11:02 AM
Personally I love living in this area but it is definitely not cheap. I rent in Harvey Lofts (which are privately owned) and I pay $925 a month for an 800 sq ft 1 bedroom, and for the most part I am getting a really good deal. Expect $900 at a minimum for a 1 bedroom.

I know the Beasley had units starting as low as $800 but I'm not sure if any are available. There's another place off 12th that the name alludes me but there are some cheaper units as well. The best tip is if you see something you like ACT FAST. Stuff goes very quickly in this neighborhood, I learned that the hard way.

If its becoming too pricey for you, you can always look in Heritage Hills/Mesta Park area. There are some random 4/5/6 plexs scattered about that come up for rent. A lot of times they don't advertise except sticking a sign out in the front yard. So you may just have to drive around.

Interesting that you will be reverse commuting to Norman. my new neighbor does the exact same thing. You can laugh at all the rush hour chumps who will be going 10 mph in the other direction as you breeze by!

Andrew4OU
06-13-2012, 04:39 PM
Like adaniel said, the key is to act FAST. I just recently signed a lease for a renovated unit in Midtown for $775. This was the best rate I could find for this area. Deep Deuce's most popular 1 bedroom option is generally $775-800; however, there is a 1-2 month waiting list for those units. If you're wanting to move in August, now is definitely the time to jump on something.

LHCA
06-22-2012, 03:10 AM
I've found the key is finding local landlords who've been around a while. I have a 900 sq. ft. 1-bedroom duplex in Heritage Hills that I pay $450 per month for. (It's highway robbery.) If you're paying over a $1,000 for a 1-bedroom outside of downtown proper, you're getting ripped off. Keep an eye on the Gazette and Craig's List. Word of mouth is your best bet.

BDK
06-22-2012, 11:09 AM
If its becoming too pricey for you, you can always look in Heritage Hills/Mesta Park area. There are some random 4/5/6 plexs scattered about that come up for rent. A lot of times they don't advertise except sticking a sign out in the front yard. So you may just have to drive around.

Interesting that you will be reverse commuting to Norman. my new neighbor does the exact same thing. You can laugh at all the rush hour chumps who will be going 10 mph in the other direction as you breeze by!

I've been looking at some duplexes/apartments in the Mesta area. Anyone have an idea about the safety/likelihood of burglary in the area?

OSUPeterson
06-22-2012, 11:21 AM
I rented the first floor of a house in mesta park and paid $650 a month. I rented another full house for $1800 (split between 3 people, all bills included).

Look in mesta park, jefferson park, gatewood for much better deals.

OSUPeterson
06-22-2012, 11:23 AM
I've been looking at some duplexes/apartments in the Mesta area. Anyone have an idea about the safety/likelihood of burglary in the area?

If you live in mesta, there is a private security gaurd that patrols the neighborhood. The closer to 15th you live, the better the neighborhood is. Up on 22nd, its still somewhat nice, but lots of undesirable traffic and crappy apts. I lived on 16th and shartel, and I had a bike stolen off my front porch when I was moving and left it just sitting there. Probably bums.

Pretty nice neighborhood though, and not a lot of teenage kids to pull pranks and such. Just the poor people who wander through digging throughs everyone trash every once and while.

BDK
06-22-2012, 11:25 AM
Did you find it safe? I'm pretty sure I've settled on the Mesta Park area. Some of the areas are still unrestored, but it seems alright to me.

EDIT: Posted before I saw OSUPeterson's second response.

OSUPeterson
06-22-2012, 11:26 AM
Pretty much everything except for 22nd st and the crappy apts on shartel and 22nd are nice. Its really safe. Just try and get a place close to 15th or 16th and its really safe. Even a state senator lives on 16th and shartel.

JayhawkTransplant
07-08-2012, 01:44 PM
Can anyone tell me of not-so-small dog-friendly rentals downtown or in midtown? I have 2 40-pound dogs and am in a spot where I might randomly sell my house in the next few months. Many places say 'pet friendly' on the website, but that turns out to be for cats or dogs under 25 pounds. We take the dogs to the dog park every day, so space is not an issue...

betts
07-08-2012, 05:56 PM
Lots of dogs over 25 pounds at the Deep Deuce Apartments.

dankrutka
07-08-2012, 08:12 PM
I loved living at the Claremont at 12th and Walker. I paid $500 a month for a studio, but I have heard that they recently raised prices to around $700. I really enjoyed living there though.