View Full Version : Update on Brewers/Bricktown

metro
03-22-2010, 08:54 AM
NewsOK (http://newsok.com/jim-brewers-legacy-built-upon-by-his-sons/article/3446761?custom_click=columnist)

Glad to see Sammy's Pizza and Peachwave Frozen Yogurt being added to the canalfront.

betts
03-22-2010, 10:42 AM
Looks like this is it. I'm excited about the option of frozen yogurt in Bricktown.

Peachwave Self Serve Frozen Yogurt - About Us (http://peachwaveyogurt.com/about_us)

Steve
03-22-2010, 10:53 AM
I'm seeing a definite transformation taking place with the Brewers. This ought to be interesting...

sroberts24
03-22-2010, 10:55 AM
Anything is an improvement!

Watson410
03-22-2010, 12:15 PM
My company recieved a call from Brent about a month ago to put in a bid on adding two restrooms at Sammy's Pizza and we won the bid... I believe we should be starting on it soon.. I'm not sure if we've looked at the frozen yogurt place yet, but if it's anything like Pink Swirl, that should be a GREAT addition to Bricktown!

Spartan
03-22-2010, 09:12 PM
Watson, be sure and use eco-friendly toilet fixtures, etc. :)

That would REALLY be the day, with the Brewers. Can I go ahead and get my hopes up?

Watson410
03-22-2010, 09:24 PM

That would REALLY be the day, with the Brewers. Can I go ahead and get my hopes up?

Haha, they'll be "water saver" toilets... That's about as eco-friendly as it'll be unless we're told otherwise between now and then... it'll be 1.6 gpf (gallons per flush) instead of the usual 3.5 gpf.

Steve
03-22-2010, 09:36 PM
Spartan, come on now...

CuatrodeMayo
03-22-2010, 09:37 PM
I will not patronize unless there are WATERLESS URINALS!!!

Steve
03-22-2010, 09:42 PM
Cuatrode, I suspect we'll end up frequenting different eateries from here on out...

Watson410
03-22-2010, 09:49 PM

Those are DISGUSTING!!! Besides the fact the person using it doesn't have to touch it... Not many places have waterless urinals.

Spartan
03-22-2010, 10:05 PM
How about this: A porta-potty behind the counter. It's cheap, it's easy, it's green..

Spartan, come on now...

Well I just figured in addition to making up for Jim Brewer's legacy as a land squater, the two should also feel obliged to make up for their dad's legacy as an oil man.

Not really..

jbrown84
03-22-2010, 10:09 PM
Looks like this is it. I'm excited about the option of frozen yogurt in Bricktown.

Peachwave Self Serve Frozen Yogurt - About Us (http://peachwaveyogurt.com/about_us)

Wish it was a Pink Swirls, or better yet, a REAL Pinkberry!

That would REALLY be the day, with the Brewers.

Did I miss something..?

Dustin
03-23-2010, 12:36 AM
Those are DISGUSTING!!! Besides the fact the person using it doesn't have to touch it... Not many places have waterless urinals.

UCO.. They are everywhere.

okcboy
03-23-2010, 08:10 AM
Give me some details explaining Jim as being a land squater and whats wrong with being a oil man?

Urbanized
03-23-2010, 08:55 AM
I've gotta say, saying that Jim's legacy was "land squatter" us an unfair and incomplete portrayal. It's fair to say that during his last few years his "developer" tag was out of date. It's also fair to say that he should have been doing more with his relatively derelict buildings on the canal, as Brent himself says in Steve's story.

But anyone who watched Bricktown develop in the late '80s and into the '90s, love Jim or hate him, will admit that he was probably the most significant driving force behind the district's momentum. And personally, I think a case can be made that the development of Bricktown is perhaps the most important piece of the cultural change in OKC that led to MAPS and our city's downtown renaissance. If you're connecting the dots, I think you can draw a line between Spaghetti Warehouse and O'Brians, straight through to the Skirvin, Kevin Durant and Devon Tower. You might laugh at me, but at least I'm in good company. Steve and Jack Money did exactly the same thing in OKC: Second Time Around.

When you consider all factors, "promoter" is probably a more apt description than "developer," but to call him a "land squatter" only pays attention to the final years of his life. His legacy involves a lot more than those years.

jbrown84
03-23-2010, 12:53 PM
Good words, Urbanized. Brewer did some great things and some bad things. But Bricktown owes a lot to him for being what it is.

okcboy
03-23-2010, 01:21 PM
Well said. He would of agreed with "promoter".

Spartan
03-23-2010, 03:58 PM
Expectations in Bricktown are a very funny thing.

Urbanized
03-23-2010, 09:00 PM
Well, I'm not really talking about expectations. I'm not even trying to make out Jim to be some sort of hero. Actually, if anything, he might be more accurately thought of as an antihero, in the literary sense. I'm just saying his story is more complicated than the way you've portrayed it.

But if you want to talk expectations, I would only say that while he may have failed to meet the expectations we have today for downtown development, our expectations would not be this high if he and a precious few others had not gotten the ball rolling more than 20 years ago. THAT, I think, is his legacy.

Steve
03-23-2010, 09:12 PM
I'm in somewhat of unique position here. I knew Jim Brewer and reported on him from 1996 until his death in 2008. To be frank, there were times when Jim Brewer took to yelling and cursing me. I think though, at the end of the day, he always knew I was dedicated to playing fair with him, even at times when I was doing some scathing stories on some of his dealings.
That said, Brewer had another side as well. He could also be one of the friendliest, warmest likable guys around. Yes, there were, at times, two Jim Brewers. But in the era before Urban Design, it was Brewer who turned down offers by advertisers to pay big bucks to paint advertisements on brick walls. It was Brewer who fronted the money to start up the big festivals that helped turn Bricktown into a brand. And it was Brewer who, yes, would do everything he could to plead, urge, persuade and con others into investing and taking a chance on Bricktown. It was Brewer, skeptical of MAPS, who still agreed to donate $50,000 to a campaign that was far from certain success. I have no doubt he loved Bricktown, even if he conducted himself in ways I wouldn't always agree with.
Neal Horton clearly had higher standards when it came to renovating and restoring the old buildings. And his vision was inspiring. But at the end of the day he wasn't able to sell his dream. I know for a fact Brewer paid close attention to Horton's plans, studied them, and adapted them to his way of doing things.
Have no doubt: Horton was founding father of Bricktown. But it BREWER who created Bricktown, the entertainment district.
I was humbled that as he was dying, after all of our ups and downs, Brewer allowed me to tell his life story. And when you hear that story - one that I can't imagine having survived - you begin to understand why the Jim Brewer story is a bit more complicated than one might suspect.
For what it's worth, despite the yelling, the cursing and the calls to my editor demanding my head on a platter, I miss Jim.
His legacy is far more than that of a squatter.

okcboy
03-23-2010, 10:47 PM
Very well said Steve. I think there ended up being a mutual respect of you two at the end. In the early days I remember Urban Renewal/Second Century (ladies naned Jackie and Tiana maybe) wanting to get involved with Bricktown and Jim stepped in and didn't let this happen. That could of played out interesting. He also was the first leasee of the Will Rogers airport oil fields. Rumors say the city have recouped royalties in the 30-40 milllion plus off these deals. Those are two good acheivements in any one lifetime plus his various others. I think this is a better place because of people like him.

OKC Heel
03-24-2010, 02:12 PM
So is the Sammy's Pizza the same Sammy's Pizza they have at the otherwise forgettable OK state fair?

Steve
03-24-2010, 02:17 PM
Yep

Spartan
03-24-2010, 08:35 PM
Jim Brewer was sort of reminiscent of the absolute good ol' boy. A lot of people don't like good ol' boys, it's easy to get on their bad side, and they typically don't see things the way that normal people see things. But it goes without saying that they're usually not nearly as bad as people who don't know them make them out to be.. I don't know Jim Brewer, never met him once in my life, I've just met dozens of people who have told me stories of how Brewer mildly screwed them over.. people from former tenants, advertising people at the Gazette, people who dealt with him in the oil business, and so on..

Steve
03-24-2010, 08:44 PM
Spartan, I'm pretty sure all those accounts were either true or partially true. Jim wasn't the sort of guy who did business with unless you were sharp on your toes, knew what you were doing, and understood the importance of a good lawyer. Keep in mind, however, that by the late 1990s Jim's reputation was no mystery and anyone who did business with him without getting everything in writing probably asked for whatever grief they experienced. There were and are others, however, that went along quite nicely with Jim for years, and in some cases (OKC Boy, correct me if I'm wrong), tenants like The Mantle have prospered for years doing business not just with Jim Brewer, but now his sons.

okcboy
03-24-2010, 09:28 PM
Spartan seems like the type of person that makes statements without giveing details or stateing any real facts. When business goes bad there is always going to be someone to blame. Jim was an easy target. He was old school. Hand shakes and winks. He was from the streets and had to fight for everything he had. There are definetly more than the dozens you speak of that disagree with you. He had close to 500 of them at his funeral and an ex governor gave his eulogy. Not to mention TV coverage. This doesn't happen to people who make a life out of screwing people over.

Steve
03-24-2010, 09:54 PM
Spartan is reporting what he's heard, and OKC Boy, you and I know there are people out there who loved Jim, and there are those who swear he screwed them over. I've said it before and I'll say it again - Jim was a very complex man, and he's not one who can be easily summed up.
I never meant my column to be a second look at Jim's legacy. His son's are now in charge, and they are clearly starting to pursue their own path and I'm eagerly following their next moves.

okcboy
03-24-2010, 10:18 PM
Steve you are right. Just would like the good to be presented with the bad.
Right now the boys are dealing with the cards they were dealt. I do know their heart is in the right place and have the ability to do good things. You know we could talk days on this so i'll be done now.

Steve
03-24-2010, 10:21 PM
Agreed. Take care OKC Boy. Maybe we can catch up offline one of these days. Good luck w/ your studies.

Spartan
03-24-2010, 11:11 PM
Spartan seems like the type of person that makes statements without giveing details or stateing any real facts. When business goes bad there is always going to be someone to blame. Jim was an easy target. He was old school. Hand shakes and winks. He was from the streets and had to fight for everything he had. There are definetly more than the dozens you speak of that disagree with you. He had close to 500 of them at his funeral and an ex governor gave his eulogy. Not to mention TV coverage. This doesn't happen to people who make a life out of screwing people over.

Sorry if I've offended you, okcboy. I thought I was incredibly detailed with my last post, without saying "It was John Doe at 123 Main Street who told me he was screwed over by Jim Brewer!" Some of these people are friends of mine as well as family acquaintances, although I did cite specific examples of WHERE they thought they had bad dealings with him

And in hindsight, of course Jim was important. Without him, where would Bricktown be today? More importantly, he was an ends justify the means type of person--and those type of people often have to live with the fact that their legacies will be tarnished. I would compare Mayor Mick to him, especially if the more negative indications of how MAPS 3 is going to go end up being correct. Mayor Mick could very well go down in history as THE man who tranformed OKC into a Tier 2 city on par with Denver and Kansas City, at a cost of marginalizing the citizens' voice and doing everything behind closed doors. The bad doesn't outweigh the good, but it does tarnish the enduring reputation.

It's just something that would make for interesting case studies in a Leadership 101 type setting..Jim Brewer and Mayor Mick both would have benefited from showing better leadership, particularly servant leadership for Mayor Mick--but the one thing nobody can EVER attack is that they both had a compelling vision that they set out to achieve. With Mayor Mick, we did indeed end up with the NBA--what a far-fetched campaign promise that was. Who knows what will come of Cornett's legacy by the end of MAPS 3, and I can't wait until that time! I just wish he would be a better leader, for the sake of his own legacy, as well as keeping the city united behind his progressive vision.

okcboy
03-25-2010, 08:49 PM
I think it was just with "land squater", "oil man", and the "screwing people"
comments without alot of substance. The gazette has not only made quite a bit of money from him as an advertiser but should thank him for helping open up a whole new market for them. I'm sure Bricktown advertisers have paid alot of bills for them since around 1985. Mayor Norick will always be the man in my eyes.

Spartan
03-27-2010, 12:50 AM
I think it was just with "land squater", "oil man", and the "screwing people"
comments without alot of substance. The gazette has not only made quite a bit of money from him as an advertiser but should thank him for helping open up a whole new market for them. I'm sure Bricktown advertisers have paid alot of bills for them since around 1985. Mayor Norick will always be the man in my eyes.

You could say the same for vice versa..I wouldn't underestimate the ability of a local media to unify community progress. It is one of a handful of long-term tools, that once entrenched, can help legitimize a certain value in a community. I think we can all agree that they like the Gazette a lot more in Bricktown than they do in Edmond..

Proof that Bricktown is entrenched, and being help up by dozens of different community interests now, is how the Brewers have come full circle. The properties are now in the hands of the sons, and Bricktown is still theirs for the taking if they take advantage.

Now what would really be full circle, to edit the remark two sentences before this, is if the Brewer sons go through a period of 5-10 years where they lead Bricktown redevelopment, and then afterward rest on their laurels like Jim Brewer did and all of us constantly gripe about it. It would be ironic at least, although I hope Bricktown development becomes easier in the future..

Spartan
03-28-2010, 02:42 PM
Jim Brewer is also the current Bricktown Association President, according to a recent article in the City Sentinel..