Latest News
Enter latest news here.
Milestones

Links
Gallery

http://okc.biz/Libraries/Web_art_from_old_site/NursingRendering_copy.sflb.ashx

OCU plans $8.5 million expansion of nursing facility
Pamela A. Grady

Oklahoma City University’s Kramer School of Nursing at NW 27 and Blackwelder Ave. will soon undergo an $8.5-million expansion.

Built in 1994, the original single-level, 16,000-square-foot building was designed to serve 100 students. The nursing school is expecting 325 students to enroll during its spring 2010 semester.

The new three-story structure consisting of 50,000 square feet of space will connect with the current nursing school building.

Most of the new space will be used for classrooms and labs. The building will have 10 classrooms, six seminar rooms and three labs. The labs will include mock hospital rooms where students can practice their skills in a simulation setting.

The additional space, according to nursing school Dean Marvel Williamson, is necessary because of the program’s rising enrollment and the nation’s rising demand for nurses.

“We’ve seen a 382-percent growth in enrollment over the past few years,” Williamson said. “Because we accept all qualified applicants and let them begin without waiting on a list, it was just a matter of time before we outgrew our current building. That’s good news — with the country’s severe shortage of nurses, we hope to enroll even more.”

The project is being funded through grants from the Inasmuch Foundation, St. Anthony Hospital/SSM Health Care and donations from various foundations and individuals.

Herman Meinders and Ladonna Kramer Meinders, whose names already grace the OCU business school and current nursing school, returned to support the university’s latest endeavor with a grant through the Meinders Foundation.

Frankfurt Short Bruza is heading architectural designs and Wynn Construction has been selected to build the new facility.

The school will host a public groundbreaking at 11:30 a.m. on October 28 outside the current building.

Midtowner
10-19-2009, 09:20 AM
OCU really has top-notch leadership. I have no doubts that this'll be a huge success.

Pete
10-19-2009, 09:29 AM
Considering the national financial funk, there is a lot of construction underway or getting ready to start in central OKC: this large OCU project, lots of big buildings at the OU Health Science Center, Devon Tower and parking garage, Myriad Gardens, downtown streetscape, the Ford Center improvements, the new I-40, and Boathouse Row just to name several off the top of my head.

All these projects will be wrapping up in the next few years and by that time, private development will no doubt be back on the upswing.

OKC is lucky to have so much to carry it through a time where most cities are pretty dormant. I think we're poised to explode out of the blocks once the economy gets rolling again.

OKCMallen
10-19-2009, 12:59 PM
I wonder how this will impact the idea of moving the law school downtown, if at all.

ThePlainsman
10-19-2009, 01:10 PM
Could OCU please grow west and wipe out those section 8 apartments on Penn? It's sad to think how close OCU is to that 3 blocks of blight.

gmwise
10-19-2009, 02:13 PM
maybe need to check figures..closer to 12 million$ expansion.

mugofbeer
10-19-2009, 03:17 PM
I wonder how this will impact the idea of moving the law school downtown, if at all.

Why is OCU considering moving the law school downtown when they own so much additional land around the main campus?

Midtowner
10-19-2009, 03:17 PM

Probably not at all... The nursing school is on the other side of campus. While the nursing majors sometimes have to take gen. ed. classes, as you well know, law students typically are oblivious to the existence of the outside campus except insofar as those other students impact the law students' ability to find good parking.

gmwise
10-19-2009, 03:19 PM
Keep in mind the Nursing program is among the top 10% in the Nation.
And students love closeby parking.

warreng88
10-19-2009, 03:20 PM

I don't see that being affected at all. Keep in mind the plan to move the OCU Law School downtown was a 20 year plan. Here is the link to that specific thread:

http://www.okctalk.com/okc-metro-area-talk/16944-ocu-wants-move-law-school-downtown.html

Midtowner
10-19-2009, 03:21 PM
Why is OCU considering moving the law school downtown when they own so much additional land around the main campus?

Because they're either going to have to do some major renovations at the current facility or move downtown. There is a trend with law schools in moving to downtown areas. Doing so would make them more competitive as students would be just a couple of blocks away from two courthouses, so internship and externship opportunities would be greater and alums would be more likely to interact with the law school as the law library would be more conveniently located.

The deal is that the ABA, the body which oversees the quality of law schools has put into place an expectation that law schools and their law libraries be in the same building. At OCU, they're a 50-yard sidewalk apart from each other, but that's not good enough for the ABA. So now there's this choice -- renovate or move. Both choices obviously have their benefits.

warreng88
10-19-2009, 03:27 PM
Could OCU please grow west and wipe out those section 8 apartments on Penn? It's sad to think how close OCU is to that 3 blocks of blight.

I hope OCU can continue their growth outward when Tom retires next year. I know he is going to continue to be involved with their fundraising efforts, but I could see it declining.

I drove by the campus last week and saw a lot of work being done to fill in and the drainage toward the SW corner of campus. I wonder if they plan on building more dorms there or possible a parking garage.

I would urge people to drive by about once every couple of months (especially to the north of campus) and notice how many houses are being brought down with the anticipation of building something in its place. It's amazing how much has changes since I graduated in 2002.

jbrown84
10-19-2009, 05:11 PM
I live very close to campus. Glad to see the growth of OKC's namesake college. Seems like a lot of that land being cleared on the north is for athletic fields.

bombermwc
10-20-2009, 07:45 AM
I still don't ever see the law school moving. The university spent a good amount of efort moving classes back to campus from downtown...mainly business school. I don't see any need for the law school to move downtown....not that they would be missed.

The only problem I have with the nursing building is that they continue to take away surface parking as they have for years. But they don't replace it with anything. That was always one of the great things about OCU, was that I could park right outside the door of the building I was going to, but they are going to be taking one of the largest lots on campus. They keep building the lots farther out from the core of the campus. It's not quite to UCO status where you walk a mile to get anywhere from the eastern lots, but it's losing the small feel. A garage would be nice, but if they make you pay for using it, then forget it. OU screws their students over on a daily basis with that crap.

warreng88
10-21-2009, 10:10 AM
I still don't ever see the law school moving. The university spent a good amount of efort moving classes back to campus from downtown...mainly business school. I don't see any need for the law school to move downtown....not that they would be missed..

Usually I would agree, but they are talking about moving the law school to the core to shore area in twenty years. Who knows at that time what the campus will look like?

The only problem I have with the nursing building is that they continue to take away surface parking as they have for years. But they don't replace it with anything. That was always one of the great things about OCU, was that I could park right outside the door of the building I was going to, but they are going to be taking one of the largest lots on campus. They keep building the lots farther out from the core of the campus. It's not quite to UCO status where you walk a mile to get anywhere from the eastern lots, but it's losing the small feel. A garage would be nice, but if they make you pay for using it, then forget it. OU screws their students over on a daily basis with that crap.

I spoke to a member of my fraternity at OCU and he said they filled in the drainage runoff on the south side of campus (just west of the law library) and that will create a large surface parking lot. There are talks in the next couple of years of building a parking garage on that site. Also, they are going to be building a new fraternity row on the north side of campus (near the baseball and soccer fields) and leveling the Kappa Sig and Lambda Chi house to make way for more buildings.

OKCMallen
10-21-2009, 10:27 AM
They want to put a theology school in the law building per President McDaniel.

gmwise
10-21-2009, 10:28 AM
I hope they keep a upbeat and positive relationship with the near by property owners.
Near its current boundaries.

okclee
10-21-2009, 11:12 AM
I would like to see OCU receive the same type of area benefits as Devon is getting. OCU could dedicate all tax revenue from construction projects to the neighborhood surrounding area. If I understand correctly this is what Devon is doing for surrounding improvements.

Does anyone know if this would be possible?

Midtowner
10-21-2009, 11:18 AM
I have pretty good information as to where the school would go. I imagine that significant renovations would be necessary, but probably not a TIF district. I don't think parking would be a huge issue either.

metro
10-21-2009, 12:05 PM
I would like to see OCU receive the same type of area benefits as Devon is getting. OCU could dedicate all tax revenue from construction projects to the neighborhood surrounding area. If I understand correctly this is what Devon is doing for surrounding improvements.

Does anyone know if this would be possible?

Even if it was possible, I doubt OCU wants to self impose a tax on themselves, as it would be an additional burden on the students. Devon can afford to choose to tax themselves for $130 million to the benefit of everyone in OKC and a massive overhaul of over 30 blocks in Downtown OKC including the Myriad Gardens.

gmwise
10-21-2009, 01:30 PM
God Bless Devon...
Does any one know if Chesapeake Energy is going to put a facade on those god aweful parking garages?

Pete
10-21-2009, 01:52 PM
OCU doesn't pay taxes.

And Devon isn't taxing itself, they are obligated to pay tax while under construction, and it's that money that will be redirected to improve the Myriad Gardens, downtown streetscapes and other downtown improvements.

bombermwc
10-21-2009, 02:24 PM
If you're an OU person, you aren't spoiled by parking like an OCU student. We're used to parking 5 feet from the door and like it that way LOL!

I think the law building would be a great location for theology. They've been sort of crammed in places most of their life, which is really ironic with it being a methodist school. Now in the 20 years for C2S's masterplan (and we know how often master plans work out...crap look at OCU's from 2003 or so and they didn't follow crap from it)...we need to think about where would law go on the current campus....with the library included.

My vote would be exactlly where they are talking about witht he drainage. If LCA, KA, etc. are all going, at least the KA site would be included in the area already. The BSU is already there, but could easily be put somewhere else. There aren't many homes there north of 23rd to the apartments, Kentucky to Virginia. That would put it very visibly on 23rd (the law folks love to been seen like that...and to have quick access in and out). Plus they can go up at least 4 floors and since it's high on the hill there, it would make it pretty darn impressive looking. That would also keep it from sprawling too badly. It's barely farther out from it's current location. Personally I think that's a better option than somewhere east of Blackwelder.

But note: in the general plan of buildings Loefler HAS to be next. I can't think of any reason why anyone on campus should get any other facilities before they find a way to replace Loefler. It's a total piece and it sucks. It's completely inadequate for what's in there and is embarassing as a representation of "the sciences" at OCU. As a CSCI major, I was always dissapointed in that building...and allergic to it as well. I sneezed for 5 minutes every time I walked in the place.

gmwise
10-21-2009, 02:39 PM
Arent you precious..lol

Midtowner
10-21-2009, 03:16 PM
KA either died or was kicked off campus.

warreng88
10-21-2009, 03:21 PM
KA either died or was kicked off campus.

They died. There weren't enough people rushing so the disbanded.

metro
10-21-2009, 03:36 PM
They died. There weren't enough people rushing so the disbanded.

They should have opened rush up to the public, like in Old School. I'd join, and I can probably find an old guy willing to be called Blue.:irule:

Midtowner
10-21-2009, 04:03 PM
They should have opened rush up to the public, like in Old School. I'd join, and I can probably find an old guy willing to be called Blue.:irule:

Sorry met, not everyone is fraternity material.

:LolLolLol

architect5311
10-21-2009, 04:25 PM
I think the law building would be a great location for theology. They've been sort of crammed in places most of their life, which is really ironic with it being a methodist school. .......we need to think about where would law go on the current campus....with the library included.

But note: in the general plan of buildings Loefler HAS to be next. I can't think of any reason why anyone on campus should get any other facilities before they find a way to replace Loefler. It's a total piece and it sucks. It's completely inadequate for what's in there and is embarassing as a representation of "the sciences" at OCU. As a CSCI major, I was always dissapointed in that building...and allergic to it as well. I sneezed for 5 minutes every time I walked in the place.

Word is Law School is trying to move close to downtown. Science and Mathematics programs are looking to vacate Loeffler perhaps move into Sarkeys (with addition and renovation) if Law moves out. Fund raising for S&M would be required.........good luck.

okyeah
10-21-2009, 07:43 PM
Also, they are going to be building a new fraternity row on the north side of campus (near the baseball and soccer fields) and

I'm an OU grad and...I really can't envision OCU having a fraternity row. There'd be Lambda Chi and nothing else

Midtowner
10-21-2009, 07:53 PM
I'm an OU grad and...I really can't envision OCU having a fraternity row. There'd be Lambda Chi and nothing else

Kappa Sig and Lambda Chi is all they have left I think. Both are pretty small.

kevinpate
10-22-2009, 06:18 AM
[Stewie voice]

So ....
maybe a fraternity alley, hmmm?
maybe a frat cul-de-sac?
Just a lil' cul-de-sac, hmmm?

[/Stewie voice]

bombermwc
10-22-2009, 07:24 AM
Greek life just isn't important at OCU so hardly anyone joins. At OU, Greek is everything, at OCU it's nothing. The serorities aren't even allowed to have their own houses...that's why the quadrangle exists. LCA and KS are there, but LCA has historically been the only one that really stays stable. Even at that, we're not talking enough kids to fill a real stereotypical frat house. Keep in mind that this is far from the first time that a frat house has been razed at OCU. I could never keep KA and KS straight before, so that's my fault for getting them confused.

But if you go into Walker Center (not tower), you'll see a sign that tells about the old KA (or was it KS) house that they razed to build Walker. Again, it was pretty much just as crappy of a building as the one they were in last.

But speaking of Loefler here...Science and Math are fields that are hard to get general monies for support. Crap, I mean look at Walker, that building took forever to build and isn't as big as it was supposed to be because of those shortfalls in fundraising. Now that was also in the bad funraising era pre-Tom. He'll do a MUCH better job of getting it done.

But any university that uses a converted auto building from '52 as it's science and match building...yeah that's crap. I mean the professor's offices have the filled in garage doors for goodness sake.

OKCMallen
10-22-2009, 07:52 AM
Science and Mathematics programs are looking to vacate Loeffler perhaps move into Sarkeys (with addition and renovation) if Law moves out. Fund raising for S&M would be required.........good luck.

I heard it from Pres. McD myself that they desire to put theology in Sarkeys, not science/math.

And I'll chip in on some S&M...

gmwise
10-22-2009, 10:17 AM

I think thats a different website.{shivers not the good kind!!

architect5311
10-22-2009, 03:13 PM
I heard it from Pres. McD myself that they desire to put theology in Sarkeys, not science/math.

Latest word is Law School will try to move downtown. If that happens Theology would move into Goldstar. Then Science and Math into Sarkeys.........All hinged on Law School moving.

Midtowner
10-22-2009, 03:16 PM
Latest word is Law School will try to move downtown. If that happens Theology would move into Goldstar. Then Science and Math into Sarkeys.........All hinged on Law School moving.

I've heard the same thing regarding Sarkey's.

And as far as the 'when' aspect of this goes, I wouldn't look for anything to happen 'til Devon moves into its new HQ.