View Full Version : Lockheed Shopping Center Sign Removed

woodyrr
09-03-2009, 05:19 AM
I received a call yesterday about noon advising me that the neon Lockheed Shopping Center sign Flickr: woodyrr's Photostream (http://www.flickr.com/photos/39213183@N02/) was in the process of being removed. I couldn't drop what I was doing and by the time that I got there about one o'clock, the trucks were just pulling away.

I remember the sign when it worked. I recall the white rotating beacon on top and at one time, there were two very large loud speakers mounted on the sign that actually had music or something playing on one occasion.

Granted, it had become an eyesore. Although I never saw it, I am told that the owner tried to preserve it not long ago only to have his investment smashed to smithereens by a hail storm.

decepticobra
09-03-2009, 05:25 AM
yeeeep....mwc is really desperate to revamp its ill-percieved image, sounds like.

bombermwc
09-03-2009, 08:45 AM
Neifty as that sign is, it has been falling apart for decades. Maybe they'll put one back in that is similar, but I doubt it. If I remember, they already had posts put in for a new sign farther west in the lot near the Mandarin Garden sign.

bombermwc
09-04-2009, 07:00 AM
Wen I drove by yesterday, I did see the new sign. It matches the one one the other side of Lockheed. At least now the two shopping centers look better though. If we had to sacrifice the sign for those improvements, I think I'll take it.